Lightweight snow boot

mowbizz

Reaction score
Post some pictures when you get them, we will be the judge of that!:D
I think they will be exquisite with a snug leather pant, waist length faux-fur coat and purse with matching fur trim and sassy orange beret! Perfect for “trekking” the frigid sidewalks of Montreal! 😂🤣
Sorry ML…can’t help teasing you about those kinky boots! 😘

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
I am also attracted to this boot. I am trying to keep the weight down to avoid fatigue. However I don't want them to be to low. I'm looking for around a 10 inch shaft height for a combination of a lower weight, but also high enough to keep the snow out. This one is the winner so far. I like NH Hunters suggestion also, but they are not available. https://www.baffin.com/products/litem003

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I mean.... Hey if you're being a trend setter by all means have at it. No judgment here. Well maybe a little.... but what ever rings your horseshoes ML.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I appreciate that type of response. The thing is, all but one of those are an 8 inch height. And I already have nice Lowa backpacking boots that are 7 inch. So, an 8 inch doesn't fill a hole/spot in my wardrobe. I'm looking for ideally a 10 inch stated height by the manufacturer. These will be used for snowblowing my large driveway, so they will be submerged in snow for hours at a time. And also used for hunting in snow conditions. I want them tall enough to handle a significant snowfall, but not so tall that they are heavy. And they also need to be able to handle being submerged in snow for several hours. So far, the Baffin Yoho's that I posted are in the lead. The height is stated as 9.25" in them. I don't think they will soak through when submerged because they are a snow boot.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
10 is not tall enough. I bet the Woody Sports are the lightest out of the bunch.
I looked it up, woody is 4.2 lbs, same as the baffins. So, on the heavy end of the bunch, but not a heavy boot. I was hoping to get under 4 lbs. I will have chest bibs over whichever one's I get. And the bib cuffs can be snapped fairly snug to them.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
For what it's worth..... I have an older pair of Sorels. I just looked at their website. They didn't even have mine any longer but they look kind of like the 1964 mine have the bob sole. They have removable liners and are taller than 10". I'm a carpenter that spends a ton of time working outdoors in the winter. They are stupid heavy, soak up sweat in the liner leading to cold feet, and weigh about 10'lbs each....... well they feel it by the end of the day. Simply put, they are that old and in good condition because they suck and I never wear them. I found other alternatives after about 3 winters in them. I never hunted with them, but I couldn't even imagine trying to hunt around a mountain all day in them. Zero ankle support too.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Don't you sweat in those? They don't look very breathable.

I had to stop wearing neoprene or rubber boots because my feet were sweating in them. If I tried to sit in a spot for a half hour or longer on days colder than 30, My feet felt like icebergs. I couldn't sneak through the woods for 20 minutes until they warmed back up. I don't do a lot of sitting but I wanted the option if I found a spot or wanted a break.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I looked it up, woody is 4.2 lbs, same as the baffins. So, on the heavy end of the bunch, but not a heavy boot. I was hoping to get under 4 lbs. I will have chest bibs over whichever one's I get. And the bib cuffs can be snapped fairly snug to them.

Do you mostly sit or walk?

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
For what it's worth..... I have an older pair of Sorels. I just looked at their website. They didn't even have mine any longer but they look kind of like the 1964 mine have the bob sole. They have removable liners and are taller than 10". I'm a carpenter that spends a ton of time working outdoors in the winter. They are stupid heavy, soak up sweat in the liner leading to cold feet, and weigh about 10'lbs each....... well they feel it by the end of the day. Simply put, they are that old and in good condition because they suck and I never wear them. I found other alternatives after about 3 winters in them. I never hunted with them, but I couldn't even imagine trying to hunt around a mountain all day in them. Zero ankle support too.
Yeah, good points. And they are getting bad reviews these days, since switching their production location from Canada to China I believe. I just watched a review on youtube last night from a Russian guy, in Russia. He gave them like zero stars. He said his old one's were good, but the modern one's he hates.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I had to stop wearing neoprene or rubber boots because my feet were sweating in them. If I tried to sit in a spot for a half hour or longer on days colder than 30, My feet felt like icebergs. I couldn't sneak through the woods for 20 minutes until they warmed back up. I don't do a lot of sitting but I wanted the option if I found a spot or wanted a break.
Curious if you tried Muck boots and did your feet sweat in them?

mowbizz

Reaction score
Look nice, but don't appear to be waterproof.
The leather is waterproofed and you would need to provide upkeep waterproofing to the leather. My brother has used Schnee boots for many years, very similar to the Hoffman…they are extremely waterproof when cared for appropriately.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
The leather is waterproofed and you would need to provide upkeep waterproofing to the leather. My brother has used Schnee boots for many years, very similar to the Hoffman…they are extremely waterproof when cared for appropriately.
Thanks. I'm wanting something low maintenance. Got enough power equipment to maintain. So far, Baffin Yoho in the lead.

Latest posts