Late season snowshoes

Pine-lock

Reaction score
The last couple winters Shooterbuck and a few others have been doing a day trip from our camp over to NH to get after snowshoe hare to breakup the winter. Last year we dealt with -20s and thigh high snow. This year due to some scheduling conflicts we ended up hunting the last day of the season on mostly bare ground. Conditions were ok to start but soon came in very windy with sleet but we made the most of it. The dogs got us on a few good runs before the high winds shut us down.
Shooterbuck had the most action seeing the same rabbit 3+ times but was never able to knock him down. Another guy in our group had a hare come by inside 10 yards but never couldn’t see it in the thick cover.
My son was able to kill the only one of the day at pretty close range. He was pretty fired up.
We finished the day tired wet and muddy but all in all it was another good day in the woods.

Attachments

Last edited:

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Good stuff, even on tough conditions. I miss having beagles to run. We used to go for a week in mid March up past Millinocket every year. Good fun, 6-8 guys with 10-12 beagles to cycle through. Good times.

Latest posts