Late season snowshoe hare

Pine-lock

Reaction score
The last couple winters Shooterbuck and I and a few others have been doing a day trip from our camp over to NH to get after snowshoe hare to breakup the winter. Last year we dealt with -20s and thigh high snow. This year due to some scheduling conflicts we ended up hunting the last day of the season on mostly bare ground. Conditions were ok to start but soon came in verry windy with sleet but we made the most of it. The dogs got us on a few good runs before the high winds shut us down.
Shooterbuck had the most action seeing the same rabbit 3+ times but was never able to knock him down. Another guy in our group had a hare come by inside 10 yards but never couldn’t see it in the thick cover.
My son was able to kill the only one of the day at pretty close range. He was pretty fired up.
We finished the day tired wet and muddy but all in all it was another good day in the woods.

Attachments

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I haven’t hunted rabbits in 30+ years but loved it when I was a kid. Looks like a hell of a day even if the weather wasn’t great.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I love rabbit hunting. I had a beagle pup growing up and Big D and I did our best to wipe out the snowshoe population in southern Maine. We never got too many but boy was it a blast being in the woods all winter.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
We had two beagles growing up. I put a lot of miles on my legs every winter with them hunting snowshoes.

Latest posts