Lamoille County buck

Full Rut

Reaction score
Has anyone heard about a monster buck sighting in the middle of Lamoille County?

A co-worker of mine (non-hunter) was headed toward Stowe the other night and saw a huge deer in a field about 200 yards out. He's not a hunter but a lifelong Vt'er and is quite positive it was a whitetail. I've heard that other people have seen this deer sporadically, but they claim it is either an escaped elk or stag, or something. But no one is sure either way.

The attached photo is of very, very poor quality but I think it has the shape of a whitetail. The antler growth does not look like elk to me, but you never know. It's hard to tell what species it is for sure, but regardless you can tell the antlers are impressive especially for an area not known for such high quality rack development.

Needless to say I have a few trail cams set up nearby and will keep you posted of any updates. Hopefully my next photo will include me next to the animal with my gun laying over his back.....

What do you think?

Full Rut

Reaction score
Has anyone heard about a monster buck sighting in the middle of Lamoille County?

A co-worker of mine (non-hunter) was headed toward Stowe the other night and saw a huge deer in a field about 200 yards out. He's not a hunter but a lifelong Vt'er and is quite positive it was a whitetail. I've heard that other people have seen this deer sporadically, but they claim it is either an escaped elk or stag, or something. But no one is sure either way.

The attached photo is of very, very poor quality but I think it has the shape of a whitetail. The antler gropwth does not look like elk to me, but you never know. It's hard to tell what species it is, but regardless you can tell the antlers are impressive especially for an area not known for such high quality rack development.

What do you think?

vtbuckrulrss

Reaction score
where / what town? i think it may look more like one of the red deer from over there in Johnson, can't remember the guys name. my folks live in Jeffersonville, and with my mother being a hairdresser, you would think the gossip would have hit the shop. she hasnt said a word about it to me.

Full Rut

Reaction score
Sorry- I posted this twice. One has an attached photo, one doesn't. (I've been a member since 2004 but rarely post anything, kind of new to it)

This thing has been seen somewhere between Morrisville and Stowe. I would've thought that people would be talking about this also.

It could be one of the red deer from Johnson. Have you ever heard of one of the escaping? What happens if someone shot a red deer thinking it was a whitetail? Bad news for them I assume?

smeltmaster

Reaction score
I lightened the image. Looks like this deer is too dark to be a whitetail. I think it is a red stag

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Non-native species living in the wild. In Vt that means "fire at will".
Can I use it in the P&P?
Lets see VTridges beat that!
LOL

1badboy

Big Shooter
Reaction score
if it is a red deer its fair game !
i remember years ago a couple moose hunters see one (think thats what it was or maybe an elk) and took a pic
it was huge and later they found out they coulda shot it
that woulda been funny when they pulled into the check station with that !

Full Rut

Reaction score
It could be a red deer. I really don't know. I hope my cam picks something up. The only thing that makes me question that (aside from pure hope) is that my coworker claims that the antlers start to come back towards each other out at the tips like most whitetails antlers do. I thought red deer antlers were more common to splay out much like elk?

I really don't know much about red deer, or elk so my belief may not be valid at all.

I just really hope to see this animal up close in a couple of weeks.

vtbuckrulrss

Reaction score
Let the lead fly! legal! i will ask around though, i still speak to my old boss in Hyde Park, who does foundations all over the area, and will see what he has heard. finders keepers though! better hope i dont first, lol.

Full Rut

Reaction score
Hey vtbuck, did you work with Bradley concrete? Is that who you were talking about?

There's been two different sightings that I've heard of. One was near the airport in Mo-ville and the other was a few miles further south. My cams are set up on the golf course road and just off the stage coach road on the Stowe end. I don't know how well you know the area?

Full Rut

Reaction score
Yeah, this is an area that I would never normally hunt. Too populated. I mostly stick the bigger woods closer to my home. but if my trail cams pick up this guy and he is indeed a whitetail, I will gladly change my strategy.

I'm sure someone will get a better look at him at some point. I just hope we don't read about a "monster buck found dead on the side of the road after being hit by tractor trailer".

Latest posts