Lake Ontario Salmon

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
My son and I had a great trip up to Lake Ontario this weekend. The fishing was slow, but my son managed to land a 25# King that made the trip! Gave a great fight with some nice long drag peeling runs. His biggest to date. Brought home quite a few pounds of salmon fillets. Would like to do one more trip towards the end of August. Thanks for looking.
IMG_4952.jpg IMG_4928.jpg IMG_4931.jpg

mowbizz

Reaction score
All kings or were there other kinds of salmon/trout too?

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
At least you caught a few so it was not a lost weekend. The 25 pounder was certainly worth the trip. Congrats to you son on catching that one!

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
We fished two days. About 15 hours total. Caught 6 fish and lost 4 others. All the fish were King salmon. 25#, 17#, 12#, 8#, 6#, 2#.
You hooked 10 fish and landed 6 and you call that slow ? 🤨
You weren't fishing for sunfish and only caught 6 !!!! 🤣

Great Trip ! I love fresh salmon fillets !

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Looks like a great trip! I am possibly looking at a late September trip which would be great but bow season will be open. Do you have a good sense of the seasons? I know the fish start running into the rivers in the falls.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Who did you go with?
Boat is called Road Show out of Oswego. He doesn't advertise, just word of mouth . If anyone wants the contact info.,, or any info on where to stay etc. , PM me, I have been going up there for quite a few years.

Reactions: JDK

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like a great trip! I am possibly looking at a late September trip which would be great but bow season will be open. Do you have a good sense of the seasons? I know the fish start running into the rivers in the falls.
First few fish usually enter the rivers in late August/ Sept. with the peak of river fishing first week of October, more or less. Most people try to book last couple of weeks for Lake trolling for salmon because they start to bunch up off the river mouths and are at peak weight.

tobydog

Reaction score
Nice fish. A guy I work with a guy who has been telling me to get up there. Just may put it on the radar.

JDK

Reaction score
Nice fish.

Nuclear explosion in background?

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Thats where we normally fish too. Straight out from the nuc plant. Never disappointed

JDK

Reaction score
Is there any difference in the quality of the fillets (taste) between now and when the stage to begin to run up the rivers?

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Is there any difference in the quality of the fillets (taste) between now and when the stage to begin to run up the rivers?
we've caught them in 400' of water, and 75' of water so different stages of "staging". I've never noticed a difference in taste. My wife's cousin who takes us out says they don't get bad till they start running up the rivers a little ways

JDK

Reaction score
we've caught them in 400' of water, and 75' of water so different stages of "staging". I've never noticed a difference in taste. My wife's cousin who takes us out says they don't get bad till they start running up the rivers a little ways

Thank you.

It is a trip I plan to take in the near future.

Latest posts