KS 2011 Rut hunt

bbruno

Reaction score
Going to try and update everyday.
Day 1
Flight was great. All went off without a hitch til the taxicab ride. Hitched cab with couple of guys from canada. Dropped them off. Next stop car rental. Opened trunk to get my bags. One is missing. Enterprise quickly called hotel. 10 min later called back said they had it. No big deal. We are on our way.

Next stop archery shop. Found what we needed. Go to open rental truck. Keys are locked inside. It either locks itself or we hit locks on way out. Call enterprise. They ended up unlocking it remotely. After 45 minute delay, back on the road.

Getcto motel. Our gear is stored at landowners. Cannot get ahold of landowner. Socwe grab what gear we have, go and hang couple of sets for next morning.

On our way out we meet a guy coming onto our property to hunt. We talk with him. He knows we are coming. Landowner says he has not given guy permission but the guy goes to his church. So guy hints there anyway. Well this year we find out. He is not leaving property. Landowner says he is going to tell him to leave. So far guy is still here. We are not going to make a huge fuss. Not looking to put landowner in a tough spot. We will just have to deal.

bbruno

Reaction score
Day 2 Sunday
AM: Get on stand just at daybreak. Hunting doe bedding. Spot where there are ground scrapes and bucks will cruise this edge. Watch does come back to bed. Saw 5 deer. Nothing really happening yet.

Dallas: He is hunting 1000 yds from me. Also hunting doe bedding. Cannot believe it. He sends me a text and says. "i just saw him again!" Him being the 180" giant he dubbed in 2010. He is still alive. Crazy.

PM: Set stand on small cut corn field. Crops were rotated this year making this field a big draw. Got on stand around 3. First deer started to show up around 3:30. Setup with decoy. Does, lambs showed up first. Then 1.5 shows up. He ended up at my decoy after 45 min. He eventually left.

Soon after 2 doe come blowing out of the woods. One doe ended up coming to the decoy. Usually indication they are getting close to coming in.

Eventually all deer ended up all around decoy. Looking at it. Then they start to scatter. Here comes a really decent 2yr checking does. He was on the cruise. 110" or so. Ended up seeing 15 deer or so. Hard to tell. Good night. Right where i want to be around the does.

Dallas: did not see much of anything.

bbruno

Reaction score
Day 3 Monday
AM: got on stand little earlier today. Cold 29deg. Saw one deer around 7. Did see what looked like buck chasing a doe. Just saw deer running.

Around 8:30 see a deer run down creek bank. Grabbed grunt call. Brrraaapp brrraapp. Up over the bank pops a 2yr old and starts to make a scrape. He ends up at 45yds. Fun to see.

Half hour later see another deer. Small buck cruising across cornfield.

Than around 10 i see another 3 yr old cruising through doe bedding area. Call. Rattle. He hears me. Flips tsil and continues on his way. Saw one more doe feeding around 10:30.

Dallas: strike #2 swing and a miss. Heartbreak city. Dallas started hunting with me 3 yrs ago. At that point he had killed only one deercwith his bow. This buck was same buck from last year. He is a booner for sure. Buck lives on this property. He saw buck coming. All the time in the world. Steps behind cedar bush. He draws. Ends up using 40yd pin for 29yd shot. Shoots right over his back. Horns got to him again. Too bad. Deer is same buck i saw in 2009. Very small home range. Buck is 6-7 years old. He is a beauty for sure.

PM: got in the blind around 2:30. Raining. Sitting on cut corn. Decoy. 3:20 now. Going to try and give live updates from now on. Will post backup when the action happens.

bbruno

Reaction score
4:00 first deer of the night showed. Does lambs nice little 1.5 8pt. All came by blind. Some super close. Like 3-5 yds close. Fun stuff.

bbruno

Reaction score
Crazy. Been pretty crazy. 3 bucks came in. Came in fast. Biggest 120-125 3 yr old came in challenged decoy and took off fast. Good buck. Than10 min later good looking 2yr old came and challenged decoy. All in all fun night. Deer on this corn hard.

bbruno

Reaction score
Day 3 Tuesday
AM: just got into stand at daybreak. Hunting a set i have never hunted. Where the booner has been seen multiple times. Good looking piece. It was this spot that i first saw and told dallas we needed to get permission to hun it. We shall see

Vermonster

Reaction score
Very cool! Hoping to see a nice photo at the end of this thread! Good luck!!!

bbruno

Reaction score
Nothing this am. Not single deer spotted from stand. Hunted from sunrise til 11. 40 degrees. Windy rainy. Perfect weather to kill big buck.

PM: back on stand at 1:15. Dryed gear out. Shifted set. Now 2:50 and no deer. Thought would see more midday movement with the moon being full on the 10th.

bbruno

Reaction score
I will attempt to finish up this again...lost all pics last time. Just wanted to add this in to complete the thread.

Not sure how many kept up with my ks hunting thread. There was another thread I saw on Archery Talk that was very similar to it...i really enjoyed reading it , figured I would do the same thing.

I was hunting in the same small cornfield that I had hunted 2 nights previous. Basically all other corn had been soybeans and with the rotation it made this small corn field dynamite this year. Just a really hot food source. I knew all the does would be using it...boy were they ever. Here in KS I do not usually see that many deer. But this year, first night on cornfield, saw 10-15 deer. Second night, saw 10 deer...one of which was a 120ish 8pt that came in and challenged my decoy.

It was very nasty. Weather was rainy cold and windy, perfect day to kill a big buck. Some guys did not hunt that morning or evening. I was determined to hunt no matter what. Opted to hunt out of double bull blind with a decoy. Wind was out of the nne. So it was running pretty parallel with doe bedding area.

Got on stand around 1. At 2:55 two twin button bucks showed up. They stayed for an hour and then BAM tails go up...Ears go forward and they bolt. I grabbed my bow. Out popped 3-4 does. Then I see him come in. Slowly looking at decoy. When I set decoy up, with the wind direction, I knew deer would probably hold up 20yds behind decoy downwind. So set decoy 20yds to my left. EXACTLY what he did. Than he looked at the blind. Than back at the decoy. Took one more step. BRRRAAAP stopped him with mouth. Settled pin right behind his shoulder at 25yds. THWACK more like a hollow thud. Saw the arrow hit right behind the shoulder. Ran 50 yds, wobbled, twirled and down he went.

Before the shot, during the shot it was all business. But once I saw the deer go down...I began to shake...stuttering when i talked. I was ROCKED. Higher than a kite on adrenaline. Hardly could think straight.

Once I got to him...boy oh boy he started to grow. He just had so much mass, stickers...the browtines are what I saw when he came in. One was 8.625 the other was 7.75. Still waiting on the weight. Kind of stinks. Wont be weighed til 24hrs after I killed him. Will be over 200. He is a mule. Giant head. Scored 153 4/8

Last edited:

bbruno

Reaction score
This is the rubline we got all of the trail cam pics on. Deer were HAMMERING this fence row.

here are some misc rubs...

bbruno

Reaction score
Here are some trail cam pics we got on the fence row further down from the rubs.

This is the booner. He is just an awesome animal. I don't care where you go in the country, to see one deer this big multiple times is amazing. His shed last year score 83"! We think he may have shrunk a bit this year. Still gross in 170's.

This buck here has similar characteristics to the one I shot last year

Buck my buddy shot just before he shot it. Score 140 on the nose.

bbruno

Reaction score
Here are some pics of a new property lady gave us permission on.

look at the size of this tree!!

maineguides

Reaction score
good stuff ben.congrats thats a bruiser. for a 8 to be in the 150's is absoultly incredible!!!

I will be researching and putting in for the draws in iowa and kansas for this coming year. I want to do self guided public land hunts. i've got a ton of homework:smile:

Latest posts