Knot Question

bassface

Reaction score
Over the winter I have been fascinated much more than usual with saltwater fishing. Mostly the inshore stuff in the carribean and the Keys and some light offshore species but fascinated nonetheless.

Last night I randomly decided to learn how to tie a Bimini twist, which I hear about all the time on the various shows. I managed to tie it a few times, not well but tied. Now why would I ever use this. Anyone here know?

Some applications I get, like loop to loop connections to heavy wind on leaders for marlin but I really can't see myself ever doing that kind of fishing without a charter.

Just thought I would throw it up here and see if anyone had any thoughts on it while we wait for the ice to melt.

Haystaddle

Reaction score
I use it a lot. Both for fresh and saltwater applications. It is used extensively in building fly leaders. When tied properly it is close to a 100 percent knot in breaking strength. It's strength is allowing a double section of line to be used with any other connection. I also use it with my spinning set ups that I have braid on. Tie a bimini in the braid and use the double end to tie a bristol knot to my fluorcarbon leader material. What kind of line did you use to tie it? Some mono, especially the harder variety can be difficult to tie the knot with. Practice tying it with some dacron line that has little memory and it will be easier to do.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I have yet to use a bimini twist. I love learning new knots but that one is beyond me. For my applications I need to know how to tie palomar, improved clinch, blood knot, uni-to-uni knot, and dropper loop rigs and the PITA knot to tie super braid to mono for my Cod jiggin stick...those all seem to work for me.

bassface

Reaction score
I only tried tying it with some cheap 12lb mono I have. I try and buy 1000yd spools of my go to mono line weights so I usually have some on hand. I have been switching over to powerpro for a lot more applications lately though. One thing I have been looking for is a better braid to flouro or mono leader connection for my striper fishing. I have been using double uni knots to connect 50lb powerpro to 30lb flouro leaders but I keep getting break offs at the double uni. I like having a 3' leader where I fish for stripers and having that knot fly through the guides definitely weakens it and then the added bonus of the braid cutting through the leader doesn't help either. I have been wondering if it would help to retie my leaders more often or to do more wraps on the braid side of the double uni. I have seen the bristol and it is on my short list to learn. Do you have problems with the braid still cutting through the flouro or does that knot help to eliminate that problem.

Haystaddle

Reaction score
Tie a bimini in the braid. Much easier to do than with mono. Then use a Bristol knot. Very nice connection, you'll barely notice it. I've not had a problem with the braid cutting into the mono as I generally run 30 pound braid, with a 3 foot piece of either 20 or 25 lb fluoro for my striper set up. You should definitely re tie these knots more often than you think. The braid has no memory and flexes without effort. Not so for mono or fluoro. So the stress on that knot, or any other braid/fluoro connection is on the fluoro right beneath the connection with the braid. The stress of casting puts a ton of strain there, and that is where your knot will break almost every time. I try and re tie every 100 casts. Takes time, but prevents problems with a big fish and lost gear.

bassface

Reaction score
Sounds like I need to just be more diligent about retying my leaders. I have been searching for a connection that would allow my laziness to continue but it appears that that is not possible. If I am going to just retie anyway I will probably stick with the double uni connection. I might switch to mono leaders rather than flouro and see how that goes to see if I can save a few bucks.

One connection I ran into in my research was essentially a chinese finger trap type of connection with hollow braid. Unfortunately none of the braid I have in house is hollow and I don't have a threading needle so the cost to give this type of connection a try would be a little more than I willing to part with.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I use an Albright knot to connect poerpro to mono or flouro leaders both for stripers and cod fishing...that is the knot I referred to as the pain in the ass knot in my earlier post. Not too difficult to tie and have had very good success with it.

Haystaddle

Reaction score
Albright knots work well for sure. I'll try to find it when I get home, but Sportfishing mag did a huge article testing spinning rod systems. Extensive research on braids, knots and leader systems. I think the Bristol with bimini connection ranked up at the top. I'll post the results here if I can find the article.

RustyD

Reaction score
I'm Knot getting into this, I forgot all the knots my friends Dad taught us:(

Latest posts