Kinda Fell into this one

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit I've never been a rifle pump guy, they just didn't intrigue me. Always been a bolt guy, have a half dozen of them or so. Guy I work with came into my office one day and said "know anything about remington 750 pump, in a .22lr? I have one and no one in our family hunts or shoots and its been handed down through the family and I have nothing to do with it." I said well I have a couple young kids a pump 22 could be fun to have around, bring it in and I'll take a look at it. So he brought it in at lunch today, turns out to be a remington 760 gamemaster, 30-06! Open sights, 22" barrel, in pretty decent shape. Said it probably hasn't been shot in 40-50 years, barrel looks clean, and not a pit or stain of rust on it. Said he thought it was probably from the 50's?. Asked him how much he'd be looking for it, said $200, and I was like yup sure I'd take it for $200! So now I guess I'm part of the 760-7600 club!

VTHunter08

Reaction score
If he’s the one who signs your paychecks I hope he never finds out how much that gun is actually worth.

Thankfully he isn't! My dad and I were looking it over last night, and I don't think a box of shells have been put thru it ever. The magazine looks like its brand new. Got lucky on this one. Guy I bought it from said he took it to a gun shop up here in northwest vermont to ask what it was worth, and they told him $200. So I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he goes "$200, I guess thats all its worth". Well ok I'll take it off your hands for $200!

Flatlander - I'd say you did pretty darn well too!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Hmmm....that Gunshop owner knew these rifles are going for much higher prices these days. This is the only thing I hate about guns shops. Most don’t come close to giving a fair price based on the firearm’s true value. Car dealers and gun shops...legalized theft.
That said, you “stole it”! Congrats on the steal!

JDK

Reaction score
Hmmm....that Gunshop owner knew these rifles are going for much higher prices these days. This is the only thing I hate about guns shops. Most don’t come close to giving a fair price based on the firearm’s true value. Car dealers and gun shops...legalized theft.
That said, you “stole it”! Congrats on the steal!

I agree. That shop owner is a POS, whether if I agree with the going rates or not.. Local shop offered me $800 for my carbine, sight unseen.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Guy I bought it from said he took it to a gun shop up here in northwest vermont to ask what it was worth, and they told him $200. So I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he goes "$200, I guess thats all its worth". Well ok I'll take it off your hands for $200!

But the question is : When did he bring it to a gun shop to ask what it was worth ? Was it 10 days before selling it to you or 10 years ago ? LOL . My guess is it was a long time ago. Maybe when you could buy a new one at any gun shop for $500 . GOOD FOR YOU ! That said , since you are a bolt guy , I'll take it off your hands for $300 just so you wont get the " 760 - 7600 " curse. I'm only thinking of your health ! 🙂

Last edited:

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I agree. That shop owner is a POS, whether if I agree with the going rates or not.. Local shop offered me $800 for my carbine, sight unseen.

I would agree. I know these guys and I very seldom go to their shop anymore. They knew if they picked it up for $200 they could easily make $300 off it. That being said it was handed down through this guys family, and as soon as I brought it home yesterday and was showing my dad, my soon to be 5yo son saw it and said "dad can I shoot my first buck with that?" I think this one will continue to stay with the family tradition it started with.

JDK

Reaction score
Ultimately, the seller should sell for what they feel comforatble with. I have no issue with someone selling or buying a 760 for $200 today. IF, and I didn't think about this, the shop told him 10 days ago then that is pretty bad

Latest posts