Katahdin Woods...

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Well, National Monuments allow "existing rights" which includes hunting and fishing among other things, so it could be a lot worse.

Escout711

Reaction score
Well, National Monuments allow "existing rights" which includes hunting and fishing among other things, so it could be a lot worse.
I've been trying to find more info about the hunting. So far, I have only found reference to hunting to only be allowed in certain sections, and no baiting or dogs for bears. I don't know if that is verified or not yet.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
It sounds like they are still developing the Resource Management Plan which will take a couple of years and involve public participation. I hope hunters, etc do participate, get a voice and keep traditions alive like baiting and use of hounds for bears.

shadow

Reaction score
I've read that the deed has restrictions on certain forms of hunting that will remain in perpetuity. I also doubt the economic numbers being thrown around in regards to tourism. Time will tell.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I've read that the deed has restrictions on certain forms of hunting that will remain in perpetuity. I also doubt the economic numbers being thrown around in regards to tourism. Time will tell.
Do you have a link to this article??

BearHunter

Reaction score
Don't trust the National Park Service to look out for the interests of hunters and fishermen. Back in the 1980s the Feds took over a huge track of wilderness land in Tennessee to become the big south fork national River and recreation area. The congressional act that made this a reality stipulated this was a recreation area not a park. Hunting regulations had to remain the same as the Tennessee state regs. However the park service traditional does not manage hunting within national parks. They don't see it as important and constantly impede hunters access to prime areas by road closures. At first they closed road access into the gorges and river areas. Years later they have been one by one closing roads on the ridges which were never in the original plans.
Maybe not in my life time but some day I expect the entire area to be only for the horseback riders hikers and leaf peepers.
Don't trust the Feds to look out for the local population.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Hunters and trappers need to be present and vocal at all hearings and meetings about the lands management. Politics have created a environment where who ever numbers more, and speaking, the decision go's in that direction regardless if a user group is being denied use.

Seems the political arena is going from a republic to a democracy (mob rule) mindset. Given that it is at the political level, it trickles down onto agency decisions.

rpc55

Reaction score
The majority of Mainers didn't want it esp the locals there as well as the governor but of course look what happens. The people are ignored....

badfisherman

Reaction score
I think it sucks. Don't want it but devils advocate here....who gives a shit what we want? It's her land that she paid for. None of us would want our neighbors telling us what we can do with our land.....it's sad but MAINE, THE WAY LIFE SHOULD BE, is no longer.

moossaka

Reaction score
Are Maine parks required to be self sustaining financially like NH & Vermont?