Kamm Camp

MGK

Reaction score
Maybe JDK should be making this post but I’ll beat him to the punch. We arranged a little deer “camp” at my house for this week. It was almost a year in planning with high expectations. The party included myself, father (JDK), uncle and cousin. My brother was also supposed to join but tagged out on a beautiful buck early in the season.

Monday started out with a bang. We trekked into a great spot that I love to hunt. Their is a well known soft wood finger that has given up some bucks to my family in recent years. With my cousin being green and having never shot a deer we decided that was the place to put him. I walked him in and just as I was about to set him down I see a buck bound out of his bed. I sat him down quick and bolted out of there. I came running up the tote road to meet my father and uncle and told them we had hurry up the ridge and try and cut the buck off. As we crest the hill I told my uncle to hop off the tote road and head in about 50 yards to over look a hemlock that always has a huge scrape under it. My father and I kept up the road and I had dad swing down to a beech flat that also is normally scraped up. I kept heading up the tote road when I heard a BANG. Followed by a “I think I just missed a buck” text from my uncle. I told him I was on my way and turned around to meet him to look for the deer. I'm walking fast down the tote road and look up to see a deer standing in a scrape. It bounds off the road and I run up a few paces, pull the gun up, safety off and the deer comes into the scope... antlers. Damn! I have a superpack doe tag but am tagged out with my buck. I deer heads right past my uncle and towards my cousin. I'm hoping it would end up in his lap but sadly never does. I head into where my uncle was and poke down the ridge. I find a running track and then blood and then see orange. I whistle so he knows I'm there and quickly see he's standing over a buck. He tells me that he walked in and found the hemlock I was talking about, sat down on a rock about 25 yards away and within minutes that buck walked right up the scrape line to him. I'm assuming its the same one I jumped with my cousin but who knows. I look at the deer laying in a hole and say "great buck but what a small body" "probably about 120lbs". I then grabbed ahold of him and began to tow on him and the weight quickly changed to 160ish. We spent the rest of the morning dragging the deer out (1.5 miles) and getting it loaded. My father saw a doe and two fawns but no more triggers were pulled. At the tagging station he surprised us all by tipping the scale at 175. Hopes are high for the rest of the week but sadly this is where the report turns sour. I've never seen anything like what we hunted through this week but I could be easily convinced the deer evaporated. We never saw a deer after Monday morning and we hunted hard. I ran ridges and poked through swamps trying to find where the hell they went with no consolation. We can blame the moon, the week, the weather, etc. but at the end of the day it just didn't happen. I was really looking forward to getting my cousin his first deer but we will have to wait until next year. It was a fun week regardless and a big shout out has to go to my beautiful wife who was working long hours while taking classes for her Masters and putting up with all of us. I now have some work to do to figure out what I missed and how to be more effective next time.

The 3rd picture is the buck my uncle shot. I had him all over my cameras in October over 2miles from where we got him

jim deer.jpg

uncle jim deer.jpg
STC_0122.JPG
family deer.jpg

JDK

Reaction score
It was a great week. No matter what, hunting is hunting. I’ve never personally seen a switch flipped that quick and that hard.

Not because he is my son but I’d put Matt up against most. He busted his stones trying to get Jameson on deer.

WetWool

Reaction score
I’m not sure what he was slipping into your Crown Royal during your nightly bonding sessions Jay but other than uncle Jim running into one the first day, don’t think for one minute this week didn’t turn out just the way MGK wanted! Well, other than actually helping drag out a deer instead of supervising :)

JDK

Reaction score
About 10 I sent a text asking where they were. Then I added so I know enough to stay away. Was actually a little surprised that they were almost back to the truck. Sort of felt bad for a second or 2 then I came to my senses.

amclimber

Reaction score
Great story, and i love the follow up banter. Great entertainment!

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Nice report and a good buck your uncle shot. That is the question we are all asking where did the deer go?

Latest posts