Just picked up first 2 rifles in a long time

CamaroMan

Reaction score
Hi everyone - first post here.. So for some odd reason me and the wife decided we wanna get hunting rifles - so off to cabelas yesterday and snagged the last two tikka t3x 7mm ultralight rifles - we held a bunch and liked em so much and the reviews seemed smokin..

So im looking into home reloading and not 100% sure on the calibers - is the 280 the same as the 7mm? cartridge at least- ie if I bought a 280 reload kit it will work on the 7mm?

We will probably do some practicing the next few months to prep for next years hunting season (deer) - we might move up to larger animals later but for now this would be a good start-

Thanks all!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Hi everyone - first post here.. So for some odd reason me and the wife decided we wanna get hunting rifles - so off to cabelas yesterday and snagged the last two tikka t3x 7mm ultralight rifles - we held a bunch and liked em so much and the reviews seemed smokin..

So im looking into home reloading and not 100% sure on the calibers - is the 280 the same as the 7mm? cartridge at least- ie if I bought a 280 reload kit it will work on the 7mm?

We will probably do some practicing the next few months to prep for next years hunting season (deer) - we might move up to larger animals later but for now this would be a good start-

Thanks all!
Welcome to the site! I’m sure you know that you must pass a state hunter safety course before you can hunt! What state are you from? I have no knowledge on the reloading questions as it’s been 50 years since I reloaded my own ammo. Tikka is a great rifle!

CamaroMan

Reaction score
haha - yes on safety and yes on camaro (just dropped in a 11:1 383 stroker) - posi and moser axles on the couch. Guess what that is on the 1st pic :)

62f67a94-0b78-46ab-b000-9587b865a313.jpg

camaro1.jpg

Owned her for almost 12 years, 3 cross country trips - been rippin tire ever since upgrade after upgrade - slowly getting her pretty awesome- time and money tho yikes!

CamaroMan

Reaction score
oh - unfortunately from cry baby CA! Prob be hunting northern CA for our first trip and go from there. Bunch o sissies running this state - its beyond ridiculous but dont get me started.. lets stick to guns an cars an beer!

CamaroMan

Reaction score
So - I also forgot to ask - on the Tikka t3X, do we need the rails or can we go straight to the mounts? i know the t3x has extra holes, the cabelas counter guy wasnt sure and made us buy rails but id really prefer not to have it on the rifle if possible..

mowbizz

Reaction score
So - I also forgot to ask - on the Tikka t3X, do we need the rails or can we go straight to the mounts? i know the t3x has extra holes, the cabelas counter guy wasnt sure and made us buy rails but id really prefer not to have it on the rifle if possible..
The rail “holes” are extra…you should be able to go with a good scope mount if you choose not to go with a picatinny rail. I would not want a “rail” screwing up the looks of my nice rifle! I have to look up what I put on my BAR…they are billet aluminum and are integral with the receiver (ring machined into base) so they are basically one piece.

mowbizz

Reaction score
The rail “holes” are extra…you should be able to go with a good scope mount if you choose not to go with a picatinny rail. I would not want a “rail” screwing up the looks of my nice rifle! I have to look up what I put on my BAR…they are billet aluminum and are integral with the receiver (ring machined into base) so they are basically one piece.
They are DNZ Game Reaper scope mounts. Nice product!

CamaroMan

Reaction score
I guess its too complicated cos cabelas is doing a free scoping cos we got the rifles and scopes there, i will go with 2 piece, the rails are just an eyesore lol.. we aim to do med game hunting at most for now- once they are setup we wont be swapping stuff around.. warne maxim and leupold have good options i believe..

Since we dont know what height we need i guess we cant really order either - have to go in store and they will prob figure that out during the scope mounting session for us -

Flatlander

Reaction score
What exactly is the caliber , 7x57 also called 7 mm Mauser , or maybe 7-08 , possibly 7 mm Remington magnum ? If it's not marked 280 Rem. dies for a 280 won't work.

hammertime

Reaction score
7mm-08? 7mm Mag? All 7mm are .284" bore, but you will need dies specific to your caliber. On a side note, 7mm Express is the same cartridge as 280 Rem. I'm quite certain that's not what you have, because they did away with the two names for the same cartridge years ago.

groundtender

Reaction score
Figures the “expert” at Cabelas didn’t know the answer. All I know is I want the scope to be as low as possible to the receiver/ barrel.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Figures the “expert” at Cabelas didn’t know the answer. All I know is I want the scope to be as low as possible to the receiver/ barrel.
Right…I wouldn’t trust the Cabela’s salesmen to mount my scope…It’s so easy to do yourself and do it once…especially with something like the DNZ base/ring

CamaroMan

Reaction score
7 mm Remington magnum - im still trying to wrap my head around all the caliber misnomers...wiki said the .280 and 7mm are identical bore, but that casings are different-

so yes will def be hunting for a dedicated 7mm die set- now another question is shooting 7mm rem mag and 7mm-08 from the same rifle, i read sth about a slide stop to account for the shorter 7mm-08? Reason why is because the 7mm rem mag might be just a tad too much for the wife :) maybe we both would prefer the 08 vs rem mag for starters..

Saw a very nice vid last night on home reloaders and its pretty cool that you can get good machines for pretty cheap considering- thats def sth id want to look into perhaps-

Guys a little nerdy but its an awesome little vid -

groundtender

Reaction score
Cam- Please do not attempt putting any round in the magazine that is not specifically the cartridge indicated in the stamp on the barrel. You are over thinking it. There are lots of different 7mm or .284 caliber cartridges. For safety sake consider them not interchangeable. Very dangerous.

Latest posts