Just moved to Burlington VT area from Concord NH area

flagman

Reaction score
Hi my name is patrick I'm an avid hunter of ducks,:duck: geese, deer,:buck: pheasant etc. Looking to find other hunters to hunt with. I know little or nothing of vt areas.:confused: I have everything we need to hunt, boat, canoe,decoys etc. I especially would like to add grouse and woodcock to the list. I also, love shooting shotguns, rifles, pistols, Please help, do not want my first season here to go it alone.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome! You'll be able to find a lot of what you want within a short drive away from Burlington. Land close to there will be private and relatively hard to access for deer, but you may have reasonably good luck with waterfowl and upland game. You'll also want to look east to get into some good woods. Start with the WMAs and work out from there.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
I'm from MA but years ago had the opportunity to hunt VT for waterfowl. The area to the north of Burlington along the Champlain Valley is a waterfowl paradise. The Mississiquio NWR has phenomenonal public duck hunting. There is also a lot of state WMA's along the rivers and creeks along Champlain that have great ducking too. VT is great waterfowling state. Best of luck

LionOfJudah2517

Reaction score
Welcome Patrick! There are a lot of good guys on here, we look forward to your posts and pictures! Blessings!

iduckhunt

Reaction score
Welcome
For ducks and geese on the VT side of Lake Champlain try the area of south of Burlington around bouy 33. Vermont / NY spent a lot of $ restoring that area of wetlands. If you see someone in a layout boat on the NY side it will probably be me. Most hunters don't hunt layout boats on that lake but the south bay area bouy 33 works just fine with me. I usually put in in Whitehall and go up river.

Island pond area of VT great Ruffed Grouse area, good access plenty of logging roads .. hope you got a dog. Also up around island pond is a lake that is shared with canada, great campsite with boat access and the Salmon fishing can be fantastic.

Back to champlain the third point north of the port henry launch on the NY side holds some great salmon and lakers as well, you will know your in the right spot by your fish finders depth reading. I never minded sharing some of my spots as we always seem to be loosing hunters and fisherman. Try Willisboro NY as well for Salmon. A VT license fishing should be good in NY but check your champlain regs.

I hunt deer almost exclusively in Canada although I have seen good deer while hunting champlain. My layout boat can run in six inches of water so I get back where other boats can't. Bob

rpc55

Reaction score
Welcome aboard and good luck to you!

flagman

Reaction score
welcome

Welcome
For ducks and geese on the VT side of Lake Champlain try the area of south of Burlington around bouy 33. Vermont / NY spent a lot of $ restoring that area of wetlands. If you see someone in a layout boat on the NY side it will probably be me. Most hunters don't hunt layout boats on that lake but the south bay area bouy 33 works just fine with me. I usually put in in Whitehall and go up river.

Island pond area of VT great Ruffed Grouse area, good access plenty of logging roads .. hope you got a dog. Also up around island pond is a lake that is shared with canada, great campsite with boat access and the Salmon fishing can be fantastic.

Back to champlain the third point north of the port henry launch on the NY side holds some great salmon and lakers as well, you will know your in the right spot by your fish finders depth reading. I never minded sharing some of my spots as we always seem to be loosing hunters and fisherman. Try Willisboro NY as well for Salmon. A VT license fishing should be good in NY but check your champlain regs.

I hunt deer almost exclusively in Canada although I have seen good deer while hunting champlain. My layout boat can run in six inches of water so I get back where other boats can't. Bob
Wow Bob
Thanks very informative. Will a 15 foot flatbottom boat with a 20 hp motor be able to get into bouy 33. I will check my chart but I thought I would ask.

flagman

Reaction score
Thanks Im looking at the wma now for some quick shooting. Anyone doing the resident goose hunt?