Just got back from Ohio

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
*Disclaimer, no deer were harmed during our trip. If you're still interested in my babbling and irrelevant pics, read on...

We packed up and drove to SE Ohio Friday for the muzzleloader season as Ethan's 16th birthday present. I had some intel in the area, due to a long time customer that owns a beef farm there. We planned on doing some 2-man drives in some public land and really just learning the area since we've never hunted there. However, when we arrived Friday night after a 12hr drive, my customer called me saying he had a 70 acre section of his farm that we could hunt. Thats actually a big deal...a really big deal, because like many farms where the oldest generation is gone, there are some family politics involved. We were thrilled to have another spot to hunt. The abridged version goes like this....

Saturday morning we spooked a coyote on the way into the private land, and he ran right down through the middle of the bedding area we wanted to hunt, hearing deer scatter. No deeer seen that morning.
We left and hit some public for some wind bumps, seeing 2 deer - one shed one of his horns as he jumped a log right in front of Ethan...a very cool experience. Its just a little forkie, but it was awesome anyway.
Pressure was very heavy on Saturday. We could see pumpkins all around the border of our private parcel because its all hardwoods there. In the state land, the first thing I see is 2 trucks with VT plates...I was surprised, and not surprised to see that. It was a big group of really good guys doing the same thing we were.

Sunday morning we set up on private and the deer came in.....in an entire herd...but in just the wrong spot, as they always do. They came in under where I thought another hunter was set up, downwind of us, and on the other side of a ledge. We got aggressive and tried to sneak over the top, but they deer were obviously spooky and scattered. There were 8 of them, and we didn't get any good looks, but none had big headgear. It was still an exciting moment.

We took some time to tour my customers farm, and he even was gracious enough to set Ethan up for us to do a couple small drives to him. 4 does seen, no big racks.

Monday night, our last chance, we were covered in deer, including a grunting little buck. They were all around us, and it was incredibly exciting knowing that at any minute a giant could walk out...but we came home without any backstraps. But, we didn't come home empty handed. Ethan brought home his little shed, and my customer gave him a deadhead he found on the farm as a souvenir. Ethan was excited, and the trip was a success...

Pics to follow.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Great trip and times with your son.

So, what did you think of the area? Would you go back again?

I made one trip out there a few years ago and bow hunted the first week of Nov around Coshocton, Ohio, on water company land. Saw a lot of small bucks. My friend saw a 150" buck with a doe about 100 yards from the parking lot as he was walking in. Never know during the rut.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I've been to Southeast Ohio 3 times to hunt the Wayne National Forest and Zaleski. We used to stay in McArthur.

I had fun on those hunts, but I was always discouraged by the number of other hunters I saw. I had the most fun the year I went for January muzzleloader.

I think it's awesome you took him out for his birthday!

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Cool trip! Always neat to see some different country and get a different experience. That shed is crazy!

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Love the pics ! Sounds like you had a great time hunting with your son.
One of those trips that is a success without firing a shot.

Big D

Reaction score
Nice trip. Always fun to see new country. That creek looks like a good spot to set up a shine operation.:cool:

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Great trip and times with your son.

So, what did you think of the area? Would you go back again?

I made one trip out there a few years ago and bow hunted the first week of Nov around Coshocton, Ohio, on water company land. Saw a lot of small bucks. My friend saw a 150" buck with a doe about 100 yards from the parking lot as he was walking in. Never know during the rut.
I thought the landscape was pretty cool and SEEMED like it might be attainable to target some bucks. It looks like they are much more pattern-able than northern new england bucks, but I might be completely off base. I'm not saying its easy, but my impression was that a dude could make a single short scouting trip, pick some spots, return during bow season and have a pretty good chance at getting a buck with a bigger rack than here. However, the pressure was pretty high. We didn't go too deep into the public this time, but there were thousands of acres open to hunt, and I'm sure with some walking you could get away from the crowds. VTHunter and some others on here have way more experience with it than I do.

So yeah, I'd go back again, but not because I think its a layup - just because its fun to think a giant could be within range at any point in time.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I've been to Southeast Ohio 3 times to hunt the Wayne National Forest and Zaleski. We used to stay in McArthur.

I had fun on those hunts, but I was always discouraged by the number of other hunters I saw. I had the most fun the year I went for January muzzleloader.

I think it's awesome you took him out for his birthday!
I stayed in Athens, mostly because Ohio U has been a customer for years and I knew some people there, but we hunted more in Albany - and we did spend some time in Zaleski - thats where we found the little shed. And I agree, the muzzleloader season was a ton of fun. Sure, less bucks, very spooky/pressured deer, lots of orange, but it was still pretty exciting.

It cost me about $300 in fuel (12hr drive), $300 in hotel, and his license was cheap because he's 16 - so it was a fairly inexpensive trip, and a fun 16yr old birthday party.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Nice trip. Always fun to see new country. That creek looks like a good spot to set up a shine operation.:cool:
I saw a lot of old fallen shacks in the woods that made me wonder if they actually were old shiner shacks.
But, we also saw a ton of little oil wells. I had no idea people had oil wells just pumping out the black gold in their backyard. Natural gas too. Crazy

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I stayed in Athens, mostly because Ohio U has been a customer for years and I knew some people there, but we hunted more in Albany - and we did spend some time in Zaleski - thats where we found the little shed. And I agree, the muzzleloader season was a ton of fun. Sure, less bucks, very spooky/pressured deer, lots of orange, but it was still pretty exciting.

It cost me about $300 in fuel (12hr drive), $300 in hotel, and his license was cheap because he's 16 - so it was a fairly inexpensive trip, and a fun 16yr old birthday party.
January Muzzleloader is a treat compared to shotgun season. If I were to ever consider going back, it would only be for January ML. I hated shotgun down there.

medrhunter

Reaction score

My daughter started out at OU.
Long but nice drive from NJ.
Started sizing up some places to hunt out there, but she only stayed 1 semester so that went out the window.
Always thought about checking it out. Maybe after I retire :)

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Because it was heavier pressure than the ML season?
MUCH heavier. The season starts on a Monday. By Wednesday, all the locals are driving this piss out of the woods.

I like hunting alone, all day, without seeing another soul. That is why it wasn't my cup of tea.

Remington Hunter

Reaction score
*Disclaimer, no deer were harmed during our trip. If you're still interested in my babbling and irrelevant pics, read on...

We packed up and drove to SE Ohio Friday for the muzzleloader season as Ethan's 16th birthday present. I had some intel in the area, due to a long time customer that owns a beef farm there. We planned on doing some 2-man drives in some public land and really just learning the area since we've never hunted there. However, when we arrived Friday night after a 12hr drive, my customer called me saying he had a 70 acre section of his farm that we could hunt. Thats actually a big deal...a really big deal, because like many farms where the oldest generation is gone, there are some family politics involved. We were thrilled to have another spot to hunt. The abridged version goes like this....

Saturday morning we spooked a coyote on the way into the private land, and he ran right down through the middle of the bedding area we wanted to hunt, hearing deer scatter. No deeer seen that morning.
We left and hit some public for some wind bumps, seeing 2 deer - one shed one of his horns as he jumped a log right in front of Ethan...a very cool experience. Its just a little forkie, but it was awesome anyway.
Pressure was very heavy on Saturday. We could see pumpkins all around the border of our private parcel because its all hardwoods there. In the state land, the first thing I see is 2 trucks with VT plates...I was surprised, and not surprised to see that. It was a big group of really good guys doing the same thing we were.

Sunday morning we set up on private and the deer came in.....in an entire herd...but in just the wrong spot, as they always do. They came in under where I thought another hunter was set up, downwind of us, and on the other side of a ledge. We got aggressive and tried to sneak over the top, but they deer were obviously spooky and scattered. There were 8 of them, and we didn't get any good looks, but none had big headgear. It was still an exciting moment.

We took some time to tour my customers farm, and he even was gracious enough to set Ethan up for us to do a couple small drives to him. 4 does seen, no big racks.

Monday night, our last chance, we were covered in deer, including a grunting little buck. They were all around us, and it was incredibly exciting knowing that at any minute a giant could walk out...but we came home without any backstraps. But, we didn't come home empty handed. Ethan brought home his little shed, and my customer gave him a deadhead he found on the farm as a souvenir. Ethan was excited, and the trip was a success...

Pics to follow.
Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a great hunt.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
looks like a hell of a good time. I envy the fact you and Ethan get to do trips like that together.