Jlighty's first season in 20 years

Jlighty

Reaction score
Started scouting late. So much ground to cover. Been hoofing around my primary area and another (a 210 acre farm that I got permission to hunt) and snapping pictures every so often. I guess I've slacked a bit in the picture taking department, as I didn't plan on starting a log here - but oh well...
So I'll most likely structure my hunting days around the wind and either be climbing trees (with no stand) or still-hunting. Getting 1 stand from a buddy later today, but no idea what kind of shape it's in... or at which of the 5 hottest spots I want to put it up at. Giving a mock scrape a try and wishing I had a Game camera. I had been crashing around the woods until about 3 weeks ago, when I started to take more care. I have seen what I believe are 6 separate animals. A group of 3 does that I have seen twice, and 3 bigger (and mostly grey colored) deer that I believe are bucks - though I have not seen bone. 2 of them were jumped out of their beds at different times near 2 separate swamps and one who seems to have been sticking to a large stand of hemlocks. My primary spot is essentially a hunter's dream (and nightmare trying to figure out where to focus). 3 decent size swamps with mostly blocky hemlock areas that are chopped up by White Oaks (with some red), birch and poplar and some smaller streams interspersed. There is a large power line running through the whole thing. Need to get out to that farm and spend some time looking - As I've only spent about 4 hours out there and that was pretty much looking at terrain and access. Here are some of the picture's I've snapped - all from my primary area. Looking forward to not only this year, but to having an entire year to prep for next season (and buying a bow)!

20131015_163859.jpg 1380386083865.jpg 1380386455677.jpg 1381252102920.jpg 1381252154726.jpg

Jlighty

Reaction score
Forgot to post this one of droppings.TONS of this around. Also, a random chair that I found in the middle of NOWHERE! 1381857755434.jpg IMG_20131005_172338.jpg

Jlighty

Reaction score
AHHHH... I'm like a kid in a candy shop right now...The 1 mock scrape I made has been seeing action. OK...that's an understatement. On the way to the scrape, I saw 2 others - 1 small and 1 large. After looking around a bit to check rubs in the area, I counted no less than 6 Major (over 2" - some as large as 3-4 feet) and 6 minor (under 2') new scrapes and probably 15-20 other rubs. I am absolutely AMAZED and will be going to buy a game camera or 2 tomorrow. It's going to be hard moving forward, because this is spoiling me. I know nothing counts until they're on the ground, but holy CRAP I'm excited.

Last edited:

Jlighty

Reaction score
What a great investment those cameras were! I can now try to get the right deer... Towards the end of the season, I'll kill anything I see, but for the first few days or couple weeks, I'm going to be choosy. Stupid, maybe - but that's what I'm into. Went out to my second cam location tonight about an hour before sunset and checked it - nothing of value. Climbed up in a tree I'm thinking about shooting from and about 15 -20 minutes after sunset, a nice doe walked about 15 yards from me. Never even blinked. Not sure where she was going, but at least I know I'm onto something. Here are some pics I got from the cam at the 1st location -

Jlighty

Reaction score
Moved one of my cameras yesterday afternoon to a spot I thought more likely to produce. Got pics of 2 does 2 hours apart. Nothing fancy, but worth noting.

Jlighty

Reaction score
Another cam check coming this afternoon. Figure with the warm weather and wind, it's the perfect time to go. Away for work this weekend, so they'll have more time to take pics unmolested. Hope nobody gets out in the woods this week and steals them now that ML season is starting!

Jlighty

Reaction score
I'm so mad at myself. Forgot to turn on one of my cameras when I walked away from it. On the other one I didn't see much action, but got a cute rabbit and a cute buckeroo...
WGI_0001.jpg WGI_0002.jpg

Jlighty

Reaction score
120# 4 pointer 2 hours into the season... AWESOME but also kind of a let down that I have to wait another year...

Jlighty

Reaction score
Put my cameras out a couple days ago. Got into a bowhunter course in a couple weeks. Excited for the season, but I will be gone for most of September in a class for the Army. Still need to broaden my horizons and get out further from my house. A buddy of mine just got out of the Army and I'm hoping to get some time in with him somewhere. Need to make some friends with a hunting camp.
Other than that, just need to be patient with the cameras and start getting out to do some scouting.

Jlighty

Reaction score
WGI_0001.JPG
Well, It's not much - but It's my first pull of the year. I think I need to invest in better cameras. Nearly every picture I get the animal is looking straight at the camera. I think it's too noisy.

Latest posts