it's my fault....

Fixed blade

Reaction score
I can say lots of pros to the 209 but I tried it and switched back after the gun not going off 2 consecutive years with great deer after tracking hours in the snow. It worked great at the range but up here in Northern Vermont in the snow and bitter cold both years it was a dud. Back to 777 pellets and shooting great. Last time I posted this I had everyone jumping on me about my primer must have been wrong or it was the breech plug. Everything was done by the book. Just my experience so take it for what it's worth. Fire arm was a tc encore pro with stainless barrel.

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
You could hunt in downpour with any muzzleloader and not experience any problems. Until the day your pellet or powder or whatever it is you want to shoot gets wet and misfires. I think a piece of tape over the muzzle is good insurance for any propellant in a muzzleoader in wet conditions.

777 left a nasty crud ring in my TC Omega. Could shoot 2 shots and the 2nd was a pill to get down the barrel. No worries since I switched over, but every gun is different.
The only insurance I've used is firing it off at the end of the day on a few days when the rain was really really bad, and it fired every time. On top of that, I leave the muzz in the back of a pick up all hunting season, with a cap on the bed, exposed to all kinds of moisture changes, and never a misfire. I really doubt you can do these things with powder. Just regular Hornaday pellets, no need for 777 either.

Yes, every gun is different. Never tried the Omega, seen many many guys complain about pushing loads down the Omega. I've had great luck with the Black Diamond. Loads go down easy after multiple shots without swabbing.

Last edited:

mdab27

Reaction score
The only insurance I've used is firing it off at the end of the day on a few days when the rain was really really bad, and it fired every time. On top of that, I leave the muzz in the back of a pick up all hunting season, with a cap on the bed, exposed to all kinds of moisture changes, and never a misfire. I really doubt you can do these things with powder. Just regular Hornaday pellets, no need for 777 either.

Yes, every gun is different. Never tried the Omega, seen many many guys complain about pushing loads down the Omega. I've had great luck with the Black Diamond. Loads go down easy after multiple shots without swabbing.
I think any powder has a change of getting spoiled when exposed to moisture, thats all. Blackhorn, blackpowder, pyrodex, 777, it doesn't matter. I've never had one misfire either, but cheap insurance as far as Im concerned. Powder, pellets, it doesn't really matter to me. They are all the same, except one has fillers to make a pellet...it doesnt make it moisture proof.

Escout711

Reaction score
I went to the range with DLuke today, and shot my brand new CVA Optima. 20-25 shots with the Blackhorn, no swabbing needed, and no difficulty loading!

Remi

Reaction score
I went to the range with DLuke today, and shot my brand new CVA Optima. 20-25 shots with the Blackhorn, no swabbing needed, and no difficulty loading!
good deal - what primers, sabots, and bullets are ya using?

M Kelly

Reaction score
Congrats on the New Rifle, I purchased a CVA Accura M/R with the nitride treated barrel last year very pleased. How was the accuracy?
I'm currently using 80 Volumetric Units with Hornady M/L 250 gr Low Drag SST's.

Last edited:

Remi

Reaction score
Congrats on the New Rifle, I purchased a CVA Accura M/R with the nitride treated barrel last year very pleased. How was the accuracy?
I'm currently using 80 Volumetric Units with Hornady M/L 245gr Low Drag SST's.
I got that same ML - very nice