Irish Setter Boots .... Gone?

medrhunter

Reaction score
I was going through my gear for Maine and noticed my soles on a pair of Irish Setter boots let go.
The sole is flopping like a sandal.
Went online, company web site is gone and so is parent company Red Wing.
Looks like they went belly up.
Based on the reviews I just saw on Cabelas site, not a surprise.
I'd stay away from any Irish Setter sales.
Back to LaCrosse I guess.

BearHunter

Reaction score
My last set of Irish Setters lasted about 10 years. Could not find a new pair of Setters that would fit properly on my 10.5 extra wide feet. Had to settle for a pair of Rocky’s, been wearing them around the house trying to break them in before my Maine hunt. Hope they last as long as the previous setters.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
the curiosity was killing me so I called the Manchester NH store. They said the sites for both Irish Setter and Red Wing are down temporarily. They are hoping they'll be back up before tomorrow.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Good news.
Maybe they'll replace the boots.
Only wore them twice.
But won't get them in time for Maine

ahmoore

Reaction score
That’s too bad, what model Irish Setter? Believe the entire line is made overseas these days, I know some swear by vintage Irish Setter hunting or logger models when they used to be handmade at the Red Wing factory. Rugged boots and Goodyear welt construction, so no problem if needing resoled or repaired.

medrhunter

Reaction score
the curiosity was killing me so I called the Manchester NH store. They said the sites for both Irish Setter and Red Wing are down temporarily. They are hoping they'll be back up before tomorrow.
You were correct. The sites came back online.
I sent customer service an email. Lets see what happens.
I have 2 pairs of Rut Masters.
They are a few years old but I don't think i wore them more than 10 times combined.

pines

Reaction score
Midway has Irish Setter boots now - just got an advert from them. I would post a link but as a new guy who is not that familiar with the rules I don't want to get into any trouble.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Midway has Irish Setter boots now - just got an advert from them. I would post a link but as a new guy who is not that familiar with the rules I don't want to get into any trouble.
I won't be buying any Irish Setter boots until hear back from cust service.
I have much older Lacrosse boots that aren't falling apart, but thanks for the heads up.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
I have these and love them ( Red Wing Irish Setter VaprTrek LS - 800G ). Never had a more comfortable boot. No complaints except for abrasion on the laces, will need new laces in a little while, but that's normal.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Never heard of them, but would love to hear a review.
Will do.
I haven't bought them yet, but their customer service dept answered an email I sent within 2 days.
Still haven't heard from Irish Setter/Red Wing. Almost a month now
Thats a BIG PLUS in my book.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Will do.
I haven't bought them yet, but their customer service dept answered an email I sent within 2 days.
Still haven't heard from Irish Setter/Red Wing. Almost a month now
Thats a BIG PLUS in my book.
Everyone's customer service is really horrible right now from my experience. I guess because Covid is blowing up again.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Pleasant update:
After I got back from Maine, I sent a second complaint letter to Red Wing customer service (It was a month since my first letter with no response)
This time I copied the CEO and president of "Hunting Apparel"
The next day I got an apologetic response from customer service citing "Technical Issues" bla bla bla...
But after a few back & forth emails and some pictures, they are sending me a new pair of their "MudTrek" boots. (Not a discontinued Rut Master pair)
"Squeaky Wheel" works again.
Faith restored.

Latest posts