IMR White Hots & Powerbelts

eagle rider

Reaction score
I recently began shooting three White Hots, in fact it was this past season. I have to say I like them a lot. They are definitely cleaner than 777 pellets and Pryodex. I'm not sure if they're legitimately faster than 777 pellets. I do think from a consistency and accuracy stand point the White Hots are hands down a better option then the other two. I find they're very accurate in my 50 Cal TC Pro Hunter with a 245 grain Powerbelt Copper Aerotip. That said I'm not at all sold on the Powerbelt as a hunting bullet construction wise. At best my results are 50% with them on deer. I do want to try the Harvester bullet (think it's called the Sabertooth), I hear great things about those.

mdab27

Reaction score
Hey Eagle,

If you are in the market for new ML bullets, check out any of the Barnes line. I won't use anything else now. Fly great and awesome bullet, just like their rifle bullets.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
I shoot Barnes Expander MZ's out of my Traditions too. Only shot one deer with them so far and she hit the snow hard. Perfect outline of her in the snow where she hit the ground....not even a kick. Shot was a pass through, but a quick search online will show you the scariest looking expansion in the woods.....

kendo

Mr. Bubblers
Reaction score
With the Barnes expanders what grain you using the 250 or the 300? ..thks

eagle rider

Reaction score
That Barnes looks good. I've always concerned with ML bullets, two reasons. In the extreme cold of our season, deer don't react like they do when the they get hit by a rifle. I can only think its the cold. The second thing is, the TC bonded Shockwave seems to be too tough for deer. I had to hit a smallish buck three times,.... seriously, to get a fatality with them. The first one was quartering away mid chest, the exit wound wasn't any bigger then a dime. The other was high chest and slightly forward. The fatal shot was through the neck. It was awful. The Barnes look like they open well.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
They open right up like that very, very quickly and retain 100% of their weight. A deer isn't ballistic gel, but check YouTube for video of how fast they expand. I've never, ever read a bad review about poor expansion with them either.....unless they were fished out of dirt at a range and they were barely opened up. There is something about hitting a living body that makes them work just right EVERY time....

Latest posts