If you could only have ONE big game rifle?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
As Wet Wool and Meatseeker can attest, I have a hard time pulling the trigger after making a decision. I've been toying with the same idea as VTHunter08. I'd really like my last rifle to be a do-all synthetic. Been looking at the Tikka in 6.5 and the Bergara in either 6.5, 7mm-08, or 270. That said, I have from 243 to 300 Weatherby covered and thinking that an upgrade in glass and stock on one of those is a better option.

Don't even get me started on a new shotgun.
I looked into the Bergera before the savage I just bought, my friend in the industry was pushing me hard on those. I handled a couple at KTP. Quality. But heavy. I think when I checked specs they were all heavier than my other options by a lot. I was looking at what I think they call the b-14. Something to consider.
My friend bought a Tikka this season. Very nice rifle and was my second option. The action on them is fantastic.

JDK

Reaction score
I looked into the Bergera before the savage I just bought, my friend in the industry was pushing me hard on those. I handled a couple at KTP. Quality. But heavy. I think when I checked specs they were all heavier than my other options by a lot. I was looking at what I think they call the b-14. Something to consider.
My friend bought a Tikka this season. Very nice rifle and was my second option. The action on them is fantastic.

Thanks Kingman

I handled both side by side last week. The Bergara was heavier but fit me better than the Tikka. I wanted to be WOWed by the Tikka (I'm a Sako fanboy) and left the shop underwhelmed.

JDK

Reaction score
That said, there is no wrong answer.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Thanks Kingman

I handled both side by side last week. The Bergara was heavier but fit me better than the Tikka. I wanted to be WOWed by the Tikka (I'm a Sako fanboy) and left the shop underwhelmed.

I am going to agree. I touched them together, and the tikka although a quality rifle there was nothing that jumped out at me that said, I have to have this gun. I thought the Bergara had a nice stock. I didn’t see the timber model in wood, just the synthetic but I liked the feel.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
As Wet Wool and Meatseeker can attest, I have a hard time pulling the trigger after making a decision.
Maybe because you don't need it. What you have now is fine. As a matter of fact I bet your first deer rifle would have served you well your whole life. I've done the same thing over the years, many rifles, it's enjoyable but certainly not necessary. I'm always fighting my "you only live once!" and "do you really need it?".:)

JDK

Reaction score
Maybe because you don't need it. What you have now is fine. As a matter of fact I bet your first deer rifle would have served you well your whole life. I've done the same thing over the years, many rifles, it's enjoyable but certainly not necessary. I'm always fighting my "you only live once!" and "do you really need it?".:)

My first deer rifle was a Ruger M77 chambered in 250 Savage. It is a great rifle and I carried it a bunch this year. Not a lot it won’t do in the lower 48

just wanting to get something that is lite and beat on able

groundtender

Reaction score
I’ve been happy with my .308 Savage Weather Warrior I purchased about 15 years ago to relieve myself of some rifle weight. I think it’s a Savage 116, has fake stock, stainless, and great trigger. No floor plate, magazine loads and unloads one cartridge at a time. I guess that might be a deal breaker for many. I shoot lefty, so at the time there weren’t many affordable options for me in bolt action. Good groups with 150 Corelokts, and 150 Fed Premium s with Barnes X bullets. Doesn’t like Fusions. Good luck with the “hunt”

Reactions: JDK

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
Limited to what I already own? Probably my Savage 11 Trophy Hunter in .308.

Anything I might buy? Either a Tikka T3 stainless or one of the newer Browning X-Bolts, chambered in .308.

I'm a fan of .338 Federal, but for a one-gun man, the scarcity makes that a questionable choice.

Wandling

Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of the Remington 700 mountain rifle. I own one in 7-08. A rifle that really comes close to that as far as size and feel but much better accuracy is the savage axis. My coyote rifle is a savage axis in 223 and it is the most accurate rifle I’ve owned.

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of the Remington 700 mountain rifle. I own one in 7-08. A rifle that really comes close to that as far as size and feel but much better accuracy is the savage axis. My coyote rifle is a savage axis in 223 and it is the most accurate rifle I’ve owned.
Interesting comment about the Savage Axis accuracy. I have an Axis II (with the AccuTrigger) in .243, and it is definitely among my most accurate rifles.

Wandling

Reaction score
I finally got around to changing the scope on my mountain rifle. I was using a Simmons 6-20x44 for the last 20 years. It’s been a great scope and it’s held zero since it was mounted 20 years ago but it was just way too much for where I hunt. I installed a vortex 4-12x44 with the bdc reticle. I wanted a plain crosshair reticle but there wasn’t any in stock and I got this one for $125 with my coupon. I’m going to the range this week to try it The range goes out to 700 yards.

Attachments

• 40BAF77F-E452-4477-8D55-FB494BC78A9C.jpeg
    40BAF77F-E452-4477-8D55-FB494BC78A9C.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 2

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
I would choose a nice modern muzzleloader, because I could use it in all seasons, except for archery.

JDK

Reaction score
Nope, I'm done. I have enough stuff. Now on to the experience.

Except for the shotgun.

groundtender

Reaction score
“Never say never”. I said I’d never buy another firearm for 10 years or more. Ha! Last winter I bought a Savage slug shotgun, just in case I had opportunity and time to go to a shotgun only deer state sometime. Too much coffee that day I guess.

Reactions: JDK

Latest posts