If you could only have ONE big game rifle?

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Tough question. I have a T/C Icon Classic in .300 Win Mag that I love, but if I had to choose only one, the realistic side of me would probably say the Bergara B-14 in .308 that I recently bought. With a composite stock, 22" barrel and topped with a Leupold 3x9x40, it's lighter than any of my other rifles, very accurate and it can handle anything I'll probably ever hunt for.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
This is a hard question that I've thought about more lately as I want a backpack rifle that I can carry deep, and can put down an elk sized animal, but I also don't want a rifle that beats the ever loving sh** out of me when I shoot it. I already have a tekka 243, a-bolt 7mm-08, 760 30.06, model 70 30.06. A couple calibers that have intrigued me lately is 308 (old reliable killer caliber that I've never owned), 6.5 creedmore, 6.5 prc, and 28 nosler. Rifle wise I'm looking at the sig cross, mainly because how customizeable it is, and how it can be packed in a back pack. I know they had an issue when it first came out with its trigger, but it should be rectified by now.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
This is a hard question that I've thought about more lately as I want a backpack rifle that I can carry deep, and can put down an elk sized animal, but I also don't want a rifle that beats the ever loving sh** out of me when I shoot it. I already have a tekka 243, a-bolt 7mm-08, 760 30.06, model 70 30.06. A couple calibers that have intrigued me lately is 308 (old reliable killer caliber that I've never owned), 6.5 creedmore, 6.5 prc, and 28 nosler. Rifle wise I'm looking at the sig cross, mainly because how customizeable it is, and how it can be packed in a back pack. I know they had an issue when it first came out with its trigger, but it should be rectified by now.
If I'd only known. I've got an old Harrington/Richardson full choke, single shot 12 ga. top-break shotgun my father bought off an old dairy farmer back in the '50's when he was the York County extension agent. Father said the farmer said he'd shot quite a few deer with it out around the orchard .
Pull off the fore stock, which is held on by a post, flip open the breech via the lever, and pull up a scant and she breaks into three pieces in short order. How could you beat it? Kicks like a mule without a recoil pad, and if you shoot it at dusk, you get a truly impressive display of fire & brimstone when she bares her teeth. ;)

Xbolt

Reaction score
If I'd only known. I've got an old Harrington/Richardson full choke, single shot 12 ga. top-break shotgun my father bought off an old dairy farmer back in the '50's when he was the York County extension agent. Father said the farmer said he'd shot quite a few deer with it out around the orchard .
Pull off the fore stock, which is held on by a post, flip open the breech via the lever, and pull up a scant and she breaks into three pieces in short order. How could you beat it? Kicks like a mule without a recoil pad, and if you shoot it at dusk, you get a truly impressive display of fire & brimstone when she bares her teeth. ;)
I have, a, h/r single shot 10 gauge kicks worse then a. Mule needless, to say i dont shoot it much

Wandling

Reaction score
If I could only own one rifle it would be a Remington 700 mountain rifle in 30-06. I have one chambered in 7-08 that I have used since 1996. The 7-08 is a great round but if I ever go on a moose hunt I would want a 30-06. The original 700 mountain rifle was produced from 1985-2004 with a change from hinge floor magazine to detach in 1996. After 2004 they went to a laminated wood stock and possibly a longer barrel. The original production had a walnut stock and 22” tapered blue barrel.

Xbolt

Reaction score
The 7-08 is plenty of gun for any big game animal. In north america it will not only do everything the 06 can do the 7/08 can do it further with less recoil and a flatter trajectory
And less drop and drift
Remingtons quality control went down hill
Starting in 96 and never improved the ceo's were more concerned about profits & the size of their bank accountz more then a quality product. The 700 action at one time was,
.probably the best actiin ever made out side of weatherby from 96 to present. You couldnt give them Away they were plagued with problems everything remington touched after 96.they ruined, the 280ai desighn is a prime example

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
If I could only own one rifle it would be a Remington 700 mountain rifle in 30-06. I have one chambered in 7-08 that I have used since 1996. The 7-08 is a great round but if I ever go on a moose hunt I would want a 30-06. The original 700 mountain rifle was produced from 1985-2004 with a change from hinge floor magazine to detach in 1996. After 2004 they went to a laminated wood stock and possibly a longer barrel. The original production had a walnut stock and 22” tapered blue barrel.
I had a beautiful walnut mountain rifle from 1999 with the detach mag in 30-06. Was a great gun with the matte finish. One of several I lost in my house fire.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I had a beautiful walnut mountain rifle from 1999 with the detach mag in 30-06. Was a great gun with the matte finish. One of several I lost in my house fire.

Year I got the rifle. Opening day hunting in a place I never hunted. Was on my way north for the week, and stopped at a friends house. Had too many beers and stayed the night, and he asked me to hunt with him. 5 minutes into the season. Was my second rifle deer.
Disregard the poor firearm handling. This was 20+ years ago and I was pretty green.

Attachments

• CCC5633E-2055-4869-9876-9E753374B2FE.jpeg
    CCC5633E-2055-4869-9876-9E753374B2FE.jpeg
    802.2 KB · Views: 26

hammertime

Reaction score
260 Remington is an awesome caliber. It's almost identical to the 6.5 creedmoor without all the marketing

Xbolt

Reaction score
Take a look @ the 6.5cm or 280AI

JDK

Reaction score
As Wet Wool and Meatseeker can attest, I have a hard time pulling the trigger after making a decision. I've been toying with the same idea as VTHunter08. I'd really like my last rifle to be a do-all synthetic. Been looking at the Tikka in 6.5 and the Bergara in either 6.5, 7mm-08, or 270. That said, I have from 243 to 300 Weatherby covered and thinking that an upgrade in glass and stock on one of those is a better option.

Don't even get me started on a new shotgun.

Latest posts