If you could only have ONE big game rifle?

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I know this is mainly a 30-06 pump gun and 35 whalen site but no love for the 6.5 cred? Just curious about them. I don't personally have one but have been hearing alot of good things about them, long range accuracy, low recoil, +/- 3000fps. Also considered a short action which I tend to perfer, just seems to fit me better. Anyone have any experience with them? I currently shoot an a-bolt 7mm08 hand loaded with 140gr barnes ttsx. Be tough for me to leave that.
I have a 6.5 Ruger American Predator...shoots amazing for a "cheap" rifle. I also have a 7mm-08 X-bolt that shoots amazing as well. The 6.5 won't do anything that the 7mm-08 can't do. Recoil is similar. The only benefit of the 6.5 comes at extreme long range target shooting from what I can tell

Wandling

Reaction score
Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06. The older wood stock version, not the new ones. I have one in 7mm08. I’ll eventually get all the calibers in the mountain rifle.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851784939 This was has a totally different type of magazine set up. Looks like a 10 round mag, which would be illegal for hunting in Maine. I wonder if you could get a 4 round?
According to this article they make a 5 , 10 , and a 20 round mag for that gun.
Scrolling down you can also see a pic of what the forearm covers where it slides over the receiver. Looks like it covers the bolt lock , the hing plate spring assembly , and access to the slide bars.
The gun you have in the gunbroker link is pictured on top of a pack and the write up on the size of magazines is under it

longbow

Reaction score
According to this article they make a 5 , 10 , and a 20 round mag for that gun.
Scrolling down you can also see a pic of what the forearm covers where it slides over the receiver. Looks like it covers the bolt lock , the hing plate spring assembly , and access to the slide bars.
The gun you have in the gunbroker link is pictured on top of a pack and the write up on the size of magazines is under it

I just called Chris at Browning firearms he said no other magazines will fit that gun only the 10 round. I told him some states don’t let you hunt with a 10 round magazine. He said you would have to have a gunsmith modify the magazine so it would only hold five. I thought that was kind of crazy. Why have this big magazine sticking down when you only want to put four rounds in it.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I just called Chris at Browning firearms he said no other magazines will fit that gun only the 10 round. I told him some states don’t let you hunt with a 10 round magazine. He said you would have to have a gunsmith modify the magazine so it would only hold five. I thought that was kind of crazy. Why have this big magazine sticking down when you only want to put four rounds in it.
I dont know who you talked to but somebody should slap him to wake him up ! :)

Here is a 5 rd mag for sale on gunbroker for that gun

longbow

Reaction score
I dont know who you talked to but somebody should slap him to wake him up ! :)

Here is a 5 rd mag for sale on gunbroker for that gun

Thank you. Looks like the 5 round mags are the same size as the 10 round, they are just pegged, so they accept only 5 rounds. I kind of like your rifle and how the magazine is flush.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Out of the guns I own, my BLR in .308 would be the most practical of the bunch for all big game hunting.

If I were purchasing one rifle to use for everything, it would be a nice bolt action in 300 WSM.
+1 on the caliber, but I'm partial to my BLR
I have a Shot Show special, so not too many out there
Balance is perfect.
I also have the synthetic BAR in 300 WSM

On a side note, if you don't reload that 300 WSM, I'll take your brass :)

Meatseeker

Reaction score
I know this is mainly a 30-06 pump gun and 35 whalen site but no love for the 6.5 cred? Just curious about them. I don't personally have one but have been hearing alot of good things about them, long range accuracy, low recoil, +/- 3000fps. Also considered a short action which I tend to perfer, just seems to fit me better. Anyone have any experience with them? I currently shoot an a-bolt 7mm08 hand loaded with 140gr barnes ttsx. Be tough for me to leave that.
I have lots of love for the 6.5 CR. I have a Browning X-bolt stainless stalker chambered in 6.5 CR. Its a very accurate rifle with very low recoil. 6.5 CR is a great round for everything from elk on down. Probably a little light for moose and bear. That said a huge number of moose have been killed by Swedish hunters will mil surp 6.5 x 55. Which is almost the ballistic twin of the 6.5 CR. But I'd still go heavier for moose and bear.

Grandkid

Reaction score
I like most of you like all my guns. So I don't want to single one out for fear that it will put a hex on me at the moment of truth.

But I only love two of them. They are my dad's first gun which also happens to be my father-in-laws first and only rifle as well. They have both past on to the big woods now. I am fortunate to have them both and count my blessings that they are still in the family. They are both Winchester Model 94's in 32 special. I have a cool photo of my dad and me with a big doe from probably 1967 with his. I believe that they are 1950 and 1952. Not super old but pushing 70 years.

Roger-