If you could only have ONE big game rifle?

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
You put the magazine in there and then close the cover on it?

You snap the magazine onto hinge plate and close it. The only Browning Bar I know of that the magazine goes straight into the receiver is one like Hammertime's that clips right into the receiver.His Bar has some choices on larger capacity magazines. All the rest have normal 4 round magazines.
Maybe one of the big bore magnum Bars might only have a 3 round clip. Not sure of that though.
Longbow if I have to take any more informational or instructional pics for you for this gun its $50 bucks each ! 🤣🤣

DSCN9298.JPG DSCN9297.JPG

DSCN9300.JPG

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
On mine you click the mag into the cover and then close it...not sure about this one. Looks different.

And here is one for you mowbizz . I sent you that link so you can check your gun to see if you have a Type 1 or Type 2 stock
because I have my original stock from my older Browning. In 1994 I had a gun shop parkerize my barrel and receiver and
install a synthetic stock on it. The measurement on my forearm to the swivel hole is 9 inches. The butt stock I believe is a Type 1
You are welcome to them if they fit your gun . They were on my gun for 9 years. There are small dings and scratches but no cracks
They are in great shape. They are sitting in a box in my closet since 1994 and are crying for the chance to go hunting again ! 😂

DSCN9299.JPG

mowbizz

Reaction score
And here is one for you mowbizz . I sent you that link so you can check your gun to see if you have a Type 1 or Type 2 stock
because I have my original stock from my older Browning. In 1994 I had a gun shop parkerize my barrel and receiver and
install a synthetic stock on it. The measurement on my forearm to the swivel hole is 9 inches. The butt stock I believe is a Type 1
You are welcome to them if they fit your gun . They were on my gun for 9 years. There are small dings and scratches but no cracks
They are in great shape. They are sitting in a box in my closet since 1994 and are crying for the chance to go hunting again ! 😂

View attachment 22937
Wow thank you! Your stocks seem to be the same as mine. I do believe it's a #1 but I'm going to make a path to my safe and measure right now!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Wow thank you! Your stocks seem to be the same as mine. I do believe it's a #1 but I'm going to make a path to my safe and measure right now!
My fore end measures a bit more than 9" from the recess at the mag well. sure looks the same but maybe it isn't exactly...

mowbizz

Reaction score
Here's mine...

Attachments

• BARSTOCK.JPG
    BARSTOCK.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BARSTOCK1.JPG
    BARSTOCK1.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 12

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Here's mine...

Take a closeup picture of the back of the trigger with the gun upside down. If the butt stock notches around the receiver it is a type 1
If the butt stock goes around the receiver evenly with no notch it is a type 2. I put an arrow where the notches are underneath the safety.

And for the heck of it I threw in a pic of my 35 year old unfired Browning Bar 300 Win Mag since it shares the same case as my old Browning
Poor thing. Its the only recognition that it exists after 35 years laying in the darkness. At least now it has my old Browning for company :)

DSCN9306.JPG DSCN9309.JPG
DSCN9308.JPG

mowbizz

Reaction score
Take a closeup picture of the back of the trigger with the gun upside down. If the butt stock notches around the receiver it is a type 1
If the butt stock goes around the receiver evenly with no notch it is a type 2. I put an arrow where the notches are underneath the safety.

And for the heck of it I threw in a pic of my 35 year old unfired Browning Bar 300 Win Mag since it shares the same case as my old Browning
Poor thing. Its the only recognition that it exists after 35 years laying in the darkness. At least now it has my old Browning for company :)

View attachment 22941 View attachment 22942
View attachment 22943

No notches on mine so I guess a type II

mowbizz

Reaction score

View attachment 22941 View attachment 22942
View attachment 22943

No notches on mine so I guess a type II

mowbizz

Reaction score
No notches...

Attachments

• CA915233-1912-476B-BC60-7D267E396FBC.jpeg
    CA915233-1912-476B-BC60-7D267E396FBC.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 0CD23352-F016-46EF-B215-4AF5CF51FE42.jpeg
    0CD23352-F016-46EF-B215-4AF5CF51FE42.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 23

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Well it was worth a shot. Unfortunately my stock wont fit your gun. Sorry about that mowbizz
At least the prices on the link I sent you are decent. But those prices are for an unfinished stock.
If nothing else at least you know to look for a type 2 .

mowbizz

Reaction score
Well it was worth a shot. Unfortunately my stock wont fit your gun. Sorry about that mowbizz
At least the prices on the link I sent you are decent. But those prices are for an unfinished stock.
If nothing else at least you know to look for a type 2 .
Yup! I appreciate your generousity! I have the Browning parts bookmarked so when I’m ready to spring for walnut, I’ll call and make sure I order the correct stocks by serial number.

hammertime

Reaction score
I think Mowbizz has the MKII Lightweight Stalker with a fluted barrel, which makes it kind of rare. I have the same gun only non fluted. The original BAR's were seperated with a Type 1 & a Type 2. I think the cutoff is 1979 ?? Pre 79 is Type 1, post 79 up until the introduction of the MKII's is a type 2.

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
You boys sure do love your Brownings! They must be good reliable machines to have such a strong following over there.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
It's only 3 people that like them. I have to keep telling myself that....
You snap the magazine onto hinge plate and close it. The only Browning Bar I know of that the magazine goes straight into the receiver is one like Hammertime's that clips right into the receiver.His Bar has some choices on larger capacity magazines. All the rest have normal 4 round magazines.
Maybe one of the big bore magnum Bars might only have a 3 round clip. Not sure of that though.
Longbow if I have to take any more informational or instructional pics for you for this gun its $50 bucks each ! 🤣🤣

View attachment 22935 View attachment 22936

View attachment 22938
Thanks for the pics! Very nice gun. Myself and I are arguing about getting one.... 😁

NY Hunter

Reaction score
For me, my Rem 760 pump in .30-06 shooting Rem. 165 PSP, 180 SP or 180 PSP Core-lokts.
Covers just about everything in the lower 48.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I know this is mainly a 30-06 pump gun and 35 whalen site but no love for the 6.5 cred? Just curious about them. I don't personally have one but have been hearing alot of good things about them, long range accuracy, low recoil, +/- 3000fps. Also considered a short action which I tend to perfer, just seems to fit me better. Anyone have any experience with them? I currently shoot an a-bolt 7mm08 hand loaded with 140gr barnes ttsx. Be tough for me to leave that.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! Very nice gun. Myself and I are arguing about getting one.... 😁

You will never get a majority vote with just " Myself and I " unless the vote is unanimous. The decision would be deadlocked.
You need to have " Me , Myself , and I " voting to have majority rule . But my vote was easy. It was unanimous !
All three voters gave the thumbs up ! (y) :)

Latest posts