If you could only have ONE big game rifle?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, if I had to pick one out of my safe, I would say a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen, topped with a Leupold 2x7 scope. Loaded with Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 225 grain bullets.

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
Well, if I had to pick one out of my safe, I would say a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen, topped with a Leupold 2x7 scope. Loaded with Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 225 grain bullets.
35 Whelen, Nice! That’s a cartridge that I don’t hear about very often around here. I reckon you’d be able to take any North American big game animal with such a rifle.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
A .30-06, probably the Browning X-bolt I have. Would work for anything caliber wise, and it carries well enough (on a pack, on horses, etc) for critters out west. While a bolt action isn't ideal for tracking, it would work there too. My pump is too clunky outside of hand carrying it all day.
Thankfully this isn't anything I have to do!

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Without any hesitation at all my choice would be my Browning Bar Carbine 30-06
All my other rifles would be in far away second place
Weighs 6 1/2 lbs , perfectly balanced, fast shooting , deadly accurate, with hardly any recoil .

View attachment 22905
That's a nice looking rifle. Don't remember seeing a carbine model. Was the barrel cut down?
Have you used it much? How about in real cold temps? Ever jam?

I think I have the same sneakers. Walmart specials? IMG_3041.jpg

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
Sako AII in 308 Winchester. 165 grain bullets of some sort. 2-7 scope or fixed 4 or 6x. Mine has been to a lot of places and hasn’t let me down.

of what I don’t own, some sort of stainless synthetic in either 6.5 Creed, 308 or 270 with a 2-7 or fixed 6x scope.

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
Sako AII in 308 Winchester. 165 grain bullets of some sort. 2-7 scope or fixed 4 or 6x. Mine has been to a lot of places and hasn’t let me down.

of what I don’t own, some sort of stainless synthetic in either 6.5 Creed, 308 or 270 with a 2-7 or fixed 6x scope.
I’m a Sako man too. I have an L61r Finnbear in .375HH MAG and an AV in 30-06.
I’ve hunted with a Finnlight in 6.5x55 and I was impressed with that, although I’m not usually a big fan of Synthetic/Stainless rifles.

JDK

Reaction score
I’m a Sako man too. I have an L61r Finnbear in .375HH MAG and an AV in 30-06.
I’ve hunted with a Finnlight in 6.5x55 and I was impressed with that, although I’m not usually a big fan of Synthetic/Stainless rifles.
Sako High Power in 270
Sako AII in 308
Browning Safari build on a Sako action in 243

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I think I have the same sneakers. Walmart specials?
YUP ! Same Walmart $10 Specials ! We have to buy inexpensive sneakers to buy nice guns ! 😀

That is a true carbine. The barrel was not cut down. This gun is a Browning Bar Lightweight Tracker
It has a 18 inch fluted barrel with fiber optic sites from Browning International. The rear site has the green dots ,
one on each side of the V . The rear site only adjusts left or right and is not on a ramp. The elevation adjustments
are on the front site. The front site can be adjusted both for horizontal and vertical with an allen wrench.
The front red bead periscopes up and down for elevation adjustments.
I have been hunting with Browning Bars since 1985 . Never a single issue. I have fired countless rounds target shooting
and killed lots of deer with my other Browning Bar . Never an issue on anything jamming from freezing cold temps or
any kind of malfunction. I bought 2 of these carbines in 2017. There were only 50 of them imported of this model.
I shot 2 deer with it so far. One in 2017 and one in 2018. Didn't see anything to shoot in 2019. Just a few does

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
That is a true carbine. The barrel was not cut down. This gun is a Browning Bar Lightweight Tracker
It has a 18 inch fluted barrel with fiber optic sites from Browning International. The rear site has the green dots ,
one on each side of the V . The rear site only adjusts left or right and is not on a ramp. The elevation adjustments
are on the front site. The front site can be adjusted both for horizontal and vertical with an allen wrench.
I have been hunting with Browning Bars since 1985 . Never a single issue. I have fired countless rounds target shooting
and killed lots of deer with my other Browning Bar . Never an issue on anything jamming from freezing cold temps or
any kind of malfunction. I bought 2 of these carbines in 2017. There were only 50 of them imported of this model.
I shot 2 deer with it so far. One in 2017 and one in 2018. Didn't see anything to shoot in 2019. Just a few does
Very nice! I have 3 Browning Auto 5 shotguns. Well made firearms.

mowbizz

Reaction score
YUP ! Same Walmart $10 Specials ! We have to buy inexpensive sneakers to buy nice guns ! 😀

I have the lightweight BAR IN 308 (traded for it with a member on here)
Mine has the 18” fluted barrel but no wood stocks. I love that rifle and it has been lucky for me too! Looks like yours and mine are different models though. Mine was from a 1989 run of only 100 or so rifles if I recall.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts