If any one was interested

12 ring

Reaction score
The season limit is 12 deer 2 of which must be Bucks and one buck has to be 8 point of better. Some county's are trophy buck county's and all bucks must have 8 points and at least a 15 in spread.
Version 05/05/2015

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]2015 - 2016 GEORGIA HUNTING SEASON DATES AND LIMITS
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Species [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Season
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Limit
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Deer
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Archery, Either sex
Extended Archery, Either Sex only for Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett & Rockdale
Primitive Weapons,
Either sex
Firearms:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]September 12 - October 9, Statewide
January 2 - 31
October 10 - 16, Statewide
October 17- January 10, Statewide
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

12 ring

Reaction score
Twelve (12) per season, Statewide
No more than ten (10) may be antlerless and no more than two (2) may be antlered. One of the antlered deer must have at least 4 points, one inch or longer, on one side of the antlers.
Firearms deer hunting is not allowed in Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton (north of GA Hwy. 92), and that portion of Glynn county lying within Jekyll Island. In the portion of Forsyth county south of GA Hwy. 20, only shotguns and muzzleloaders may be used (no other firearms allowed). In Hancock, Harris, Meriwether, Montgomery, Randolph, Talbot and Troup counties, only antlered bucks with at least 4 points on either side are legal. In Dooly and Macon counties, antlered bucks must have a minimum 15-inch outside spread.
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Either sex deer dates are listed in the Hunting Seasons & Regulations publication and at www.gohuntgeorgia.com. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

ojibwa

Reaction score
I started hunting in GA in 79 the limit then was one buck and three doe's, I really wish they would go back to that or something close.. Many areas can not sustain a 12 deer limit but many can. You can also kill additional deer on WMAs as those deer do not count towards your state wide limit.

I would like to see GA divide the state into units like TN does and each unit is managed differently, it does take a little more effort as far a monitoring harvest but it seems to work for them..

GA has some of the best game biologist anywhere and they have done an awesome job. They just need to do a little more tweaking to get it perfect..

I like the idea of letting land owners and hunters vote of putting their county under QDM, it was a tad contentious at when first introduced and many hated the idea [GA is the birthplace of QDMA] but now those counties that are QDM are the most coveted areas in the state.

I love deer hunting in the state of GA....Just don't like living in the metro area..lol

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I hate to start anything but in your opinions, what are some of the best public land hunts in that state? I know you can go on a guided hunt or pay for a club hunt but I was just thinking about something more affordable.

One hunt that does intrigue me is the Ossabaw Island deer and hog hunt. http://hoveyhunts.com/2012/12/14/re...vers-hunt-gas-ossabaw-and-cumberland-islands/

I know someone will state you can get bigger deer elsewhere but I like the intriguing idea of hunting on an island like this. And yes, I would use a muzzleloading handgun of sorts for this hunt.

ojibwa

Reaction score
I hate to start anything but in your opinions, what are some of the best public land hunts in that state? I know you can go on a guided hunt or pay for a club hunt but I was just thinking about something more affordable.

One hunt that does intrigue me is the Ossabaw Island deer and hog hunt. http://hoveyhunts.com/2012/12/14/re...vers-hunt-gas-ossabaw-and-cumberland-islands/

I know someone will state you can get bigger deer elsewhere but I like the intriguing idea of hunting on an island like this. And yes, I would use a muzzleloading handgun of sorts for this hunt.
Bond swamp NWR and Piedmont NWR in the middle of the state have great public land hog hunting in fact any of the WMAs south of Macon do..
I can't speak much on the coastal islands I know they have lots of hogs and deer the deer are tiny but you will kill one there are a lot of them also lots of mosquitoes a few of my friends have hunted Ossawba and killed hogs and deer.
Most of the middle GA WMAs have decent deer herds some better then others I like BF Grant and Flint river WMAs which are draw hunts and Redlands is good to, ..The best time to hunt any of the WMAs is during the week if you can some don't get a lot of pressure but some do...

Latest posts