Icy Pheasant Hunt

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Son and I went out this morning for some pheasant. Went to a State stocked area. We only hunted for about 20 minutes and had our limit! My son also learned how painful thawing fingers are;) Was 5 degrees when we were hunting, the coldest morning we have had here this winter. He had mittens but didn't wear them as we were into action right away. We had a lot of fun, going to go back tomorrow and Saturday.

Attachments

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Twenty minutes and 4 birds ? Did you follow the stocking truck to the parking lot ? LOL

Nice shooting ! Congrats !

Lavman

Reaction score
Nice shooting! Cold for sure, way to tough it out

Big D

Reaction score
That's a cold day bird hunting. Good thing it didn't take long.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Twenty minutes and 4 birds ? Did you follow the stocking truck to the parking lot ? LOL

Nice shooting ! Congrats !
Ha, ha, we actually got there while it was just getting light and there were birds standing on the road. I kicked them off of the road so no one else would see them. When I parked there were two cock birds just sitting behind us and a hen across the road. About 10 trucks passed and no one parked near us. We had to wait until 7:24 to shoot(sunrise). So, we basically probably had a few crates of birds all to ourselves.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Looks like you fellas had some fun. Ah yes..... I remember the old thawing hand thing when I was his age. Now I have to do it for a living. Seems like every siding job happens this time of year, and I'm doing finish work inside during the spring months.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like you fellas had some fun. Ah yes..... I remember the old thawing hand thing when I was his age. Now I have to do it for a living. Seems like every siding job happens this time of year, and I'm doing finish work inside during the spring months.
yeah, got to toughen him up a bit! lol .:D

mowbizz

Reaction score
Looks like fun! No dog? (Not that you needed one ;o)
Was this the season opener? NH opens Oct 1st to Dec 31 but by the third week there are no more birds.
They get shot out quick by the stocking truck followers. The state had to change the law so that you can’t hunt until noon on stocking days...

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like fun! No dog? (Not that you needed one ;o)
Was this the season opener? NH opens Oct 1st to Dec 31 but by the third week there are no more birds.
They get shot out quick by the stocking truck followers. The state had to change the law so that you can’t hunt until noon on stocking days...
I have a dog, but for some reason at the first shot it runs to the truck and hides under it. lol The season starts in early November. They stock 3 times per week after dark the night before. You can start hunting at sunrise and are allowed to shoot 2/day. In addition to a regular hunting license you have to buy a pheasant stamp $40.00 which covers the whole season. I normally devote all my time to deer hunting, but I think I'm going to do more pheasant hunting next year. A lot of fun and a lot of birds. When we left we could see 6 other roosters walking around. lol Tough to leave.
http://njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2017/pheas_sched17.pdf

Last edited:

mowbizz

Reaction score
I have a dog, but for some reason at the first shot it runs to the truck and hides under it. lol The season starts in early November. They stock 3 times per week after dark the night before. You can start hunting at sunrise and are allowed to shoot 2/day. In addition to a regular hunting license you have to buy a pheasant stamp $40.00 which covers the whole season. I normally devote all my time to deer hunting, but I think I'm going to do more pheasant hunting next year. A lot of fun and a lot of birds. When we left we could see 6 other roosters walking around. lol Tough to leave.
http://njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2017/pheas_sched17.pdf
Wow! Is the total column the number of birds released per area throughout the season?
That seems like a lot of pheasants! NH only stocked 11,700 birds statewide and they stop stocking after three weeks...man you guys in Joisey have it pretty good! I’m jealous!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Got 4 more today. Cold again with snow. My son tracked this one for about 200 yards, flushed it up, and got it. I was pretty happy that he did that.;) I used to enjoy tracking pheasant as a kid, but like deer hunting, seems like you don't get to many good tracking days.

Attachments

Gwlambo

Reaction score
That is great stuff - but frigid weather. Th first couple times I tried public land down here there were just too many hunters for me to feel safe. I have been doing the private thing but that gets expensive so I can't get the pups out as often as I would like. I'll have to give public land a go again this year. Congrats!