Ice out shore fishing

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I've been told over the years that as soon as the ice starts going out, salmon can be caught in the shallow waters near shore. The people that told me this were talking about Lake Champlain specifically, and since thats probably the closest body of water to me that holds salmon, I guess thats where I'm focusing. I think it might be the only spot that allows salmon fishing this time of year?

Anyone have experience with this and done it successfully?

mowbizz

Reaction score
Starting April 1st, in NH, many do fish from shore on Winnipesaukee and many are successful. Not sure if it is because the salmon are in close to shore or just more ice is absent nearer the shore and the salmon like to chase bait in the shallows. More than one salmon fisherman has said they like a smaller, lightweight boat (aluminum) so they can troll closer to shore just after ice out. Years ago, I did have luck trolling in 3-4 FOW with my small aluminum rig and streamers on top not far behind the boat.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I've caught them in Seneca Lake in NYS from the shore early season. I was using alewife herring, hooked thru the back, and a sliding sinker. Throw it out, put it on a stick and wait for a hit. Caught quite a few.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
There are often folks fishing at the inlet on Sandbar causeway, I guess that would be South Hero? A friend of mine used to cast from Thompson’s Point in Charlotte but I don’t know if it was from public or private property?

JDK

Reaction score
I really shouldn't comment as I have never fished anywhere in Vermont.

That said, at iceout we spend a lot of time in a boat casting to shore. I mean a foot of water. I love to throw streamers, soft plastics, spoons, and stickbaits.

A ton of guys I know fish as longbow said for togue and pound them, especially when the smelt are running.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I've been told over the years that as soon as the ice starts going out, salmon can be caught in the shallow waters near shore. The people that told me this were talking about Lake Champlain specifically, and since thats probably the closest body of water to me that holds salmon, I guess thats where I'm focusing. I think it might be the only spot that allows salmon fishing this time of year?

Anyone have experience with this and done it successfully?
early morning near the inlets where smelt are running as Jay said... it's deadly. I plan on being in a float tube practicing my "social distancing" while I'm off next week. I'm actually planning on me and a flashlight taking a walk this weekend checking a couple brooks to see if there's any smelt in the brooks yet.