Hydro Glow lights.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Do any of you guys fish at night with Hydro Glow lights? Either through the ice or open water fishing in the summer?

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I used one once. It was on about 6 inches of new , no snow ice. We used it smelting. I've never seen anything like it. There was a black rim out could see moving with all the smelt that came to it.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
We used to go out at night and hang a lantern over the side of the boat which would attract flies and minnows. We then put our worms down about 20 feet or so and catch nice rainbows.That was on Glenn lake in Vermont near Rutland. Is it the same idea?

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Similar I think, the hydro glow lights I’ve seen are green and submersible. They work by attracting zooplankton which then attracts minnows which then attracts larger fish. The most popular uses seem to be crappie fishing and smelt fishing through the ice, at least around here. I’m curious what else, if anything, people use them to fish for A72145D4-D821-4B6B-88CD-03486BE626F7.jpeg

Last edited:

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned Glen Lake, it’s just a few miles from me and I fish there quite a bit. This is from the back side looking back towards the launch while we were trolling for trout one evening.
D6AEB606-FC8D-462A-9B1D-5703C9899E6F.jpeg

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Yep. That top picture is what it looked like. Now imagine a black cloud of smelt in that green glow. I certainly worked unreal.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned Glen Lake, it’s just a few miles from me and I fish there quite a bit. This is from the back side looking back towards the launch while we were trolling for trout one evening.
View attachment 25031
Nice photo. Memories from my childhood there. Last time I fished there was 1978. My Dad and I were in Rutland and the guy in the sports shop told us to go to Glenn Lake and fish at night with the lantern. We caught a bunch of really nice fat rainbows, some probably 16-18 inches as I recall. I think we went back once the next summer and caught some more. In 1976 my Dad and I hunted the Rutland City Forest and got a nice 200lb bear while we were deer hunting. My Dad's company had a condo at Killington that the employees could use so that's how I ended up in that area. Great times.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
The rainbows are all from 15 to 18ish, it’s not any different now. You can go there most anytime and catch a limit of them after dark. I catch a few of them through the ice too when I’m fishing for perch and crappie. Big giant yellow perch in there.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The rainbows are all from 15 to 18ish, it’s not any different now. You can go there most anytime and catch a limit of them after dark. I catch a few of them through the ice too when I’m fishing for perch and crappie. Big giant yellow perch in there.
Good to hear that the fishing is still good.

Tailfeathers

Reaction score
Similar I think, the hydro glow lights I’ve seen are green and submersible. They work by attracting zooplankton which then attracts minnows which then attracts larger fish. The most popular uses seem to be crappie fishing and smelt fishing through the ice, at least around here. I’m curious what else, if anything, people use them to fish for

Totally different but we have used them in saltwater with a lot of success squid fishing. And they work very will on tuna and swords never thought to drop one through the ice but maybe ill have to try it.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I took a video of the baitfish around a Hydro Glow light but I don’t know how to post it. This is a screenshot from the video, not very good but I think you can get an idea. The light is probably 5 feet down.

E1B76D72-EF42-4705-A09D-7D12C6D85E71.jpeg

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Wow, that is a TON of minnows. Is that in Glen?

I think I'm finally going to get our new trolling adventure rig into the water this weekend. Probably St. C though.

Latest posts