Hunting with Glasses

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Now rapidly approaching age 45, my eyes have deteriorated a bit at distance.

I got glasses and am impressed with how much better I see, especially driving - who knew those signs had words on them!
I even shot clays at camp better a couple weeks ago with glasses on.

The thing is, the glasses seem to make walking around weird for me - the line under the glasses distorts things. I think I'm used to glancing at the ground via my peripheral vision and that has gotten f'd up. Plus I'm not looking forward to being in rain/snow with them.

I'll consider lasik surgery down the road when my eyes stabilize, but in the near term, I'm looking for suggestions on types of glasses (I've been looking at ordering some online) that might benefit me and generally how people do with glasses while hunting.

Browseline

Reaction score
I used to wear glasses for distance but switched to contact lenses in 1987. I've been wearing them since for hunting, working, etc. For general work around the house, I don't need them. I lost several nice bucks because after walking and getting sweated up, when I would stop the glasses would fog up. Rainy weather they got wet and that didn't work very well. I've never had a problem putting contacts in or taking them out in the 35 years I've been using them and never had any irritation or infections. The last 25 years I've been using dailies or disposable contacts. Wear them a day and throw them away. They are or were when I bought the last batch a couple years ago about $60 for a pack of 90 lenses. I sometimes use just one in my dominant right eye so I can read closeup stuff with my left eye. I can see better with contacts than I can with glasses and with the contacts my peripheral vision is better. Fortunately for me my prescription for both eyes is the same and there is no astigmatism, although I've been developing a cataract in my left eye for 20 years. It is getting a little worse each year but the optometrist says it is not bad enough so that any doctor would preform the operation yet. I did one time a few years ago get a box of contacts ( different brand than what I had been using) that seemed to slip in my eyes and occasionally I would blink them out. When checking them against the ones I have used for years I noticed they were a little larger in diameter and thickness. I went back to the old ones and everything has been fine since. Easy to carry a few spares in my hunting pack also.

groundtender

Reaction score
What Browseline says. Get contacts and be patient about getting them in. Took me a week or two to get that down, now I can do it without a mirror. Glasses suck for hunting for the reasons already said. Plus they generally suck. When I turned 65 I had cataracts removed from left eye and had a new fake lense put in. Piece of cake. Tested 20/20 uncorrected the next morning. Can drive at night in the rain now!!! Not that I want to. Dr is waiting for cats in the right eye to ripen up before doing that eye. Still wear one contact in right.

lester2

Reaction score
I started wearing glasses for distance in my late 20’s. Hated them for all the reasons stated above. Hunting, playing sports, driving at night, they just sucked. Mid 30’s I went to contacts. Way better but still a pain in the butt. One funny story, I was at a friends deer camp one year. Someone pulled out a bottle of expensive whiskey one night and we drank the whole thing. Next morning I got out in the woods and was having trouble focusing and at first thought I was still drunk from the night before. Turns out I’d put my contacts in the wrong eyes lol. Once I swapped them I was back to normal and shot a buck an hour later lol. Anyways, in my mid 40’s I had laser surgery. Other than dime store readers I’ve been glasses and contacts free for 15 years. Best $3k my wife ever spent!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Yup…glasses suck for anything outdoors. Tried contacts years ago and don’t recall why I gave them up. Maybe time to try again? I basically am blind in one eye because of a bow and arrow accident at the age of 2…🤣 (maternal grandmother made them for my 4 year old brother and I.) that was in 1951.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Like others have said. Contacts are way better than glasses in the woods. Not everyone can get comfortable with them though. Laser surgery could be an option? I haven't taken the laser leap as contacts have worked well for me for almost 20 years.

BearHunter

Reaction score
Ditto on what everyone said about glasses while hunting. Fogging up, rain, etc really hampers you. Contacts are the way to go if you can’t go lasik.
If you do go with glasses get some anti fog wipes to help with condensation.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I’m 49 been wearing contacts since 25 for distance. Makes a massive difference hunting, softball , driving , etc. I wear glasses at night watching tv. That’s mostly so I can read the guide function

. Good luck with your choice. It may take you a few different kinds of contacts to figure out what’s the most comfortable. Your eye doctor should have samples for you to try to ensure you get the ones that allow your eyes to breath the best.

Reaction score
I'm in denial about vision. I can tell that I'm starting to get farsighted due to age. Up close tasks and tiny reading have become difficult. Fortunately, the distance vision is still as good as ever, so I don't see going to glasses anytime soon for hunting. If I ever did get reading glasses, I would probably make a point of removing them during hunting. Those plastic shooting glasses are annoying enough at pistol ranges, made even worse by our mad obsession with wearing COVID face placebos.

Latest posts