Hunting Shows

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
This may have been covered already but, the other day while I was out in my woodshop I got to thinking about all these hunting shows and their myriad of professionally sponsored hunters from the mid-west to the west, and how the focus on hunting is always out there. You'd think that the East Coast didn't have any deer. What we DO have is a more challenging environment, because our deer populations are not as prolific.
I mean, I get it. These mega farms and cornfields are going to grow big deer, and alot of them due to plentiful feed where the shooting is pretty wide open, while here in the Northeast, covered in trees as we are, the food crop is going to be more nature based, and our open shots aren't going to be more than 70 yds. and probably more in the 30-50 yd. range if you live in Maine as I do unless you head for Aroostook.

Hunting is certainly more challenging here, and I wonder just how successful all these hunting stars would be if it were New England. There are times I'd like to see a mail in campaign and challenge these hunting channels to do a more challenging series based on the East Coast where you're not so guaranteed. That would fly right? Riiiiiiight.

Anyway, just a muse.

JDK

Reaction score
My humble opinion, successful hunters from the NE will be successful anywhere. Others no so much.

There is a show based in New England now. I think it is called Realtree 365. The cameraman from Hal Blood's video's does it.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
I talked with my father about this a while back he told me that he went to a seminar years back that Roger Raglin was hosting. A question came up in the Q&A portion about why there were not many shows filmed in Maine/New Hampshire. His answer was along the lines of deer density being too low to make it worth bringing a film crew up here. What I have gathered from articles and podcast is the shows from years back that were on Sportsman Channel, Outdoor Channel, ESPN etc. wouldn't pay out unless they had a successful kill on video.

I hope shows like Meateater, Solo Hunter, Fresh Tracks etc. help to show us that not all successful hunts have to end in a kill. There can be plenty of story to tell without the kill but that takes a special person in front of the camera to be able to tell those stories and keep people engaged. If you look at a lot of YouTube videos of hunts up in New England the most viewed are almost always the ones with a kill of a large deer where the hunt took place in the snow. The ones where a kill didn't happen or someone shoots a smaller buck or a doe have far less engagement which goes right back to what Roger Raglin discussed, low deer densities and difficultly of getting a kill let alone one on camera will always hinder New England from getting featured.

What's also interesting to me is how much less content in general there is about hunting up here. It's so diverse here from tracking/still hunting to hunting farms and even the coast and islands. It seems we would have a lot more active websites, podcasts, videos etc. discussing hunting up here. It seems to me there is far more content on Texas, the Appalachian region, mid west region and points west and North of there. Might have more to do with the general hunting population being so much lower up here than say, Iowa or Montana.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
I talked with my father about this a while back he told me that he went to a seminar years back that Roger Raglin was hosting. A question came up in the Q&A portion about why there were not many shows filmed in Maine/New Hampshire. His answer was along the lines of deer density being too low to make it worth bringing a film crew up here. What I have gathered from articles and podcast is the shows from years back that were on Sportsman Channel, Outdoor Channel, ESPN etc. wouldn't pay out unless they had a successful kill on video.

I hope shows like Meateater, Solo Hunter, Fresh Tracks etc. help to show us that not all successful hunts have to end in a kill. There can be plenty of story to tell without the kill but that takes a special person in front of the camera to be able to tell those stories and keep people engaged. If you look at a lot of YouTube videos of hunts up in New England the most viewed are almost always the ones with a kill of a large deer where the hunt took place in the snow. The ones where a kill didn't happen or someone shoots a smaller buck or a doe have far less engagement which goes right back to what Roger Raglin discussed, low deer densities and difficultly of getting a kill let alone one on camera will always hinder New England from getting featured.

What's also interesting to me is how much less content in general there is about hunting up here. It's so diverse here from tracking/still hunting to hunting farms and even the coast and islands. It seems we would have a lot more active websites, podcasts, videos etc. discussing hunting up here. It seems to me there is far more content on Texas, the Appalachian region, mid west region and points west and North of there. Might have more to do with the general hunting population being so much lower up here than say, Iowa or Montana.
And that is what I've surmised......we didn't have the kill ratio's television demands. I got rather sick of all the mid-West/West programs. Without question, the body/antler mass is more than impressive, but they sit in a blind, a tree stand or one of those hotels on stilts (ambush hunting someone called it) and they sit on the edge of the corn field and decided which 8-10 pointer they're going to "cull". Is that hunting? I suppose so, but not so much one where they're tested. I don't want to sound like I'm whining, but it's another example as in MSM that if it bleeds, it leads, and the supply of deer in those areas is SO renewable. And it's here that, I'm almost a little surprised that this age in which we live, that someone hasn't decided to risk it all by doing something more reality based where, hunting doesn't always end up being successful. It would be nice, and certainly instructive, for the non-hunting crowd to see how much work goes IN to hunting here, and there is another intrinsic value of this very sport that we all enjoy.......and that is purely being able to be out in the field. When I was a young guy, I did not consider my season anything but a disaster if I didn't drop a deer, but now being older and hopefully, wiser......hunting means a lot more to me than just filling my tag. I still work for my tag, but if I don't fill it, I don't get all spun up, because I'm out in the woods, and I get to see a lot of other animals. I think some times, we don't take the time just to appreciate how thankful we should be that we can get out as American's and enjoy our sport. I mean......when you think about it, we coulda been born in North Korea. That would suck.
Anyway, all that aside, I wish someone would produce a show that focuses more on the hunt and the true reality of both success and failure, and being blessed to be outdoors, rather than trendy hunters in the latest (free) gear heading off to that stand with 12 cameramen, and 15 sponsors.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Screw TV…just get out and hunt your way. The “I SMOKED HIM” crowd holds no interest for me.
There's a part of me that agrees, but.....I would really like to see in all fairness, someone take the bull by the horns and show hunting with it's warts and all. Make sense. I do hunt my way, only....I feel my way, like hundreds of others here in the Northeast is waaaaay underrepresented. I'd like more parity, and more than that, I'd like to see honesty in media, the successes and the failures of my fellow hunters in New England. Maybe it's just me, but, that IS the real reality of it. We hunt not knowing the outcome. How different that is from the Mid-West/West perspective. It's not "if", but how big the antler mass is. These producers have turned deer hunting into vanilla yogurt in order to sell a program. Have the cajones to show true hunting as it should be shown is all. Thanks for your post.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of named farm bucks and bucks shot out of houses on baited roads(senderos).

I've seen a few Pennsy, and NJ shows, but not too many way up north. There was one where a guy hunted all week in Maine and didn't see a deer. I thought it was still very entertaining even though he didn't get anything. Then there was another where a guy was hunting in NH and shot a big buck with his bow. Don't remember what shows they were.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
My humble opinion, successful hunters from the NE will be successful anywhere. Others no so much.

There is a show based in New England now. I think it is called Realtree 365. The cameraman from Hal Blood's video's does it.
I think you are referring to Sea Bucks which is part of the Realtree 365 streaming site. I have not dove into this at all but it did look interesting when I first heard about it.

@Dirigoboy I agree with your assessment and criticism of the "main stream" hunting shows being more about the killing aspect than any other part of the hunt. I don't watch these shows any more but I use to and towards the end of my viewing it seems like they always tried to make it more about the overall experience and less about just the kill. Most of it felt manufactured for TV though and didn't actually show a real experience regardless of the picture they were trying to paint. The thing is they are still hunters and people in the hunting industry and as much as I don't care for hunting over crop fields or maintaining thousands of acres of ag ground for quality deer management, this is a way a lot of the middle part of the country can and does hunt. Along with that I think you would find the highest concentration of hunters live in those midwestern and rust belt states. We are a capitalist country so the advertising dollars will be spent where they are most effective. Right now that happens to be farm country type hunting out of stands over ag fields and food plots. It gets the best footage of huge bucks and attracts the most eye balls.

I do believe there is a shift happening with the rising popularity of Meaeater and shows like it. I mean who would have thought that Netflix would host a hunting show that isn't afraid to show impact shots and blood trailing? I sure as hell didn't. It's very unlikely that we will see things take off in New England, our hunting population is pretty low in comparison to other areas of the country which again means advertisers would be hesitant to fund hunts. On top of that the difficulty of filming here is pretty evident by how tough of a time camera guys have had filming guys as successful as Hal Blood and the Benoits.

There are guys who are trying to give it a go though but they will mostly reside on Youtube. Jeff Doyle is probably the most popular and has a very unique way of filming himself.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
These fellas in the mid west are the same ones that cover themselves in full camouflage in order to sit in a heated "shack on stilts" on land they have posted to the hilt. They can only kill farm raised , baited deer. it's a fashion show for them. There's no pride in having some woodsmanship skills.

medrhunter

Reaction score
I haven't had the Sportsman channel in many years. When I moved to PA it came as part of the promotional package for the cable company.
Watched a few times. Stan Potts still makes me vomit.
It goes away soon!

JDK

Reaction score
These fellas in the mid west are the same ones that cover themselves in full camouflage in order to sit in a heated "shack on stilts" on land they have posted to the hilt. They can only kill farm raised , baited deer. it's a fashion show for them. There's no pride in having some woodsmanship skills.

No real difference than the guys who road hunt wearing head to toe orange.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
No real difference than the guys who road hunt wearing head to toe orange.

Quite a few guys in my area that either sit in a folding chair just off the road or don't get out of their vehicle while overlooking a power line. Different strokes and all that. I would never want to do that unless I was too old to get out and walk around. most of these guys are just too fat and lazy to put in any effort.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Meateater, Solo hunter, Fresh Tracks, are all pretty good because of the story told around the hunts, even if they are not successful. I mean christ, even Steve Rinella's squirrel hunting episodes are interesting.

I stopped worrying long ago how the other guys hunts, just as long as he does not impact my time or leave a mess for others to clean up.

My truck heads west on the 25th, for a 7 day rifle elk hunt in CO on public land. Can't wait, and we bought the whole wall tent set up, that we will use in Maine at times as well.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
I'll watch Meateater, and one new show that takes place here in Maine, while not all hunting does include it. The guy, Daniel Vitalis describes himself as a "hunter gatherer"....and I've learned alot about the things right in our own natural back yards that are harvestable. He hunts deer, turkey, etc. That one I like and I'm happy it's in our region.
Just two others I do watch are European in nature. One of them is Farming the Wild with Mike Robinson. They do things a bit different over there, but I find it interesting. He's a licensed hunter in UK and is responsible for taking out a substantial amount of various species of deer, some of which are native and others introduced during the 19th century. The guy is an impressive shot. And, like Wild Fed, he believes in using every part of his kills. He's also a renown chef and has several restaurants that he uses all of the deer he harvests at. I find this show pretty fascinating. Last one is Wild Boar Fever, the Art of Boar. Takes place in France, and consists of a European cabal of hunters and a token American. It's all about huntinr European boar. I can't believe the shots these guys make with these big honking pigs running at full tilt. I find that interesting as well..... Other than that? Not too much interests me regarding hunting shows.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Meateater, Solo hunter, Fresh Tracks, are all pretty good because of the story told around the hunts, even if they are not successful. I mean christ, even Steve Rinella's squirrel hunting episodes are interesting.

I stopped worrying long ago how the other guys hunts, just as long as he does not impact my time or leave a mess for others to clean up.

My truck heads west on the 25th, for a 7 day rifle elk hunt in CO on public land. Can't wait, and we bought the whole wall tent set up, that we will use in Maine at times as well.
If I can ask, what's a ball park cost on a hunt like that? How much are out of state Elk Tag and do you have to enter a lottery?

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Yes, a lot of named farm bucks and bucks shot out of houses on baited roads(senderos).

I've seen a few Pennsy, and NJ shows, but not too many way up north. There was one where a guy hunted all week in Maine and didn't see a deer. I thought it was still very entertaining even though he didn't get anything. Then there was another where a guy was hunting in NH and shot a big buck with his bow. Don't remember what shows they were.
That was Mike Hanback from Virginia. He was even hunting with a registered Maine Guide and still did not see a deer. It was a good show.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
If I can ask, what's a ball park cost on a hunt like that? How much are out of state Elk Tag and do you have to enter a lottery?
We are hunting Colorado’s 2nd rifle season which has an abundance of over the counter units, so no lottery. Same with 3rd rifle. Elk tags are $680, so not cheap, but the whole adventure part is worth it to me. This is all DIY, so the rest of the costs are pretty low and split four ways, and we will be camping on USFS land.
I’ll be gone two weeks total, to allow for ample driving time and two days of scouting prior to the start of the season. Fingers crossed that I have the luck I did two years ago.

Next year we are going to Montana on general unit tags, as I have preference points to use if needed. Leaning towards a week of archery elk in September, so that I can hunt a week in Maine after for whitetail.

Latest posts