Hunting Chat's Maine Big Buck Club

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Post your heaviest Maine buck here.

If you have shot any over 200#, how many?

Pictures welcome!

I will update the list when I receive new information.

Send me a PM if you need something corrected.

Welcome to the club!!

Original thread. https://huntingchat.net/threads/your-heaviest-maine-buck.53948/

MAINE BIG BUCK CLUB

1) Oldhunter---------- 254#
2) Flatlander----------- 247#------2 over 200#
3) KM1968—————-243#
4) Browesline----------236#-----7 over 200#
5) 45acp--------------- 231#
6) longbow------------ 230#-----2 over 200#
7) deerslyr1-------------225#
7) bowgunner-----------225#
8) trackah---------------214-------2 over 200#
10) Mainewoods---------213#
11) Mountain Hunter----212#
12) hammertine-------- 210#-----3 over 200#
12). badfisherman———-210#——2 over
13) Parker650-------------205#
14) groundtender ----- 201#
14) DeerMeadowFarm---201#
15) Junebugg2.0-------- 200#------2 over 200#
16) Gwlambo------------ 197#
17) SportsmanNH-------196#
18) 802-603hunter-------194#
19) Shooter Buck --------190#
20) Grandkid ------------178#
21) NorthMaine ---------177#
21)Dirigoboy-------------177#
22) Sawn in Ma -------- 176#
23) Pine-lock-------------175#
24) Bubba---------------104#

Oldhunter's #1 Buck
DeerPicSmSize.jpg

Last edited:

ihunt

Reaction score
Not my deer, but my cousins. He passed away from cancer in 2004. 2 years prior in 2002 he shot this deer, one he was very proud of, as you can see. The weight evidently is in question as the place he weighed it wasn't a state certified scale. So I guess the weight will always be up for discussion, but the antler score won't! If it's not allowed because it wasn't my deer, I completely understand. I've been communicating with the MAST club and received the score sheet from them today.

Attachments

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Not my deer, but my cousins. He passed away from cancer in 2004. 2 years prior in 2002 he shot this deer, one he was very proud of, as you can see. The weight evidently is in question as the place he weighed it wasn't a state certified scale. So I guess the weight will always be up for discussion, but the antler score won't! If it's not allowed because it wasn't my deer, I completely understand. I've been communicating with the MAST club and received the score sheet from them today.
That's a great buck! The buck weighed 325 gutted on the uncertified scale? Do you know the story behind it? If so, please tell. Start a new thread under the Maine forum with any pictures you have and the story.

ihunt

Reaction score
That's a great buck! The buck weighed 325 gutted on the uncertified scale? Do you know the story behind it? If so, please tell. Start a new thread under the Maine forum with any pictures you have and the story.
Longbow,
I know the story as he told it, he became a little frustrated with the way the whole thing went down. He was told too long after he weighed it about the scale not being a certified scale and by that time it was too late to weigh it again. Yes, it was field dressed before he weighed it. Currently it ranks #128th largest non-typical in the state of Maine. He shot it at about 15 yards while sitting in one of his favorite spots. I had gone up and hunted this place with him several years prior to this and never went back as it took me 2 days to find a deer track! Not many deer, but he always told me that some day he was going to shoot a big buck there. Unfortunately I don't have any other photos than the one I posted.

Browseline

Reaction score

I remember seeing pictures and a couple stories about this buck. Richard Bernier wrote a story about it in the 2003 MASTC book, plus another story I believe in a hunting magazine and I think the Maine Sportsman had a story. According to Bernier when the buck was weighed it bottomed out the scales at 300 lbs and the storekeeper estimated the weight at 325 lbs by the distance the scale went beyond 300 lbs. All this with part of the deer still resting on the ground, so it could have been heavier according to Bernier. Bernier thought it possible it could have been a new state record but we will never know. Apparently there were quite a few people who witnessed the weigh in.

ihunt

Reaction score
I remember seeing pictures and a couple stories about this buck. Richard Bernier wrote a story about it in the 2003 MASTC book, plus another story I believe in a hunting magazine and I think the Maine Sportsman had a story. According to Bernier when the buck was weighed it bottomed out the scales at 300 lbs and the storekeeper estimated the weight at 325 lbs by the distance the scale went beyond 300 lbs. All this with part of the deer still resting on the ground, so it could have been heavier according to Bernier. Bernier thought it possible it could have been a new state record but we will never know. Apparently there were quite a few people who witnessed the weigh in.
All sounds correct, based on my conversations with him.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Your cousin is familiar to me. I am not certain where I know him from. Could he have been involved with a sporting goods store or a fish and game club in Bedford NH? Sorry to hear he has passed on. I recall speaking to him quite a few times about deer hunting. It probably was in the 90's. Great buck any way you look at it.

Roger-

ihunt

Reaction score
Your cousin is familiar to me. I am not certain where I know him from. Could he have been involved with a sporting goods store or a fish and game club in Bedford NH? Sorry to hear he has passed on. I recall speaking to him quite a few times about deer hunting. It probably was in the 90's. Great buck any way you look at it.

Roger-
He was a pro staffer with Quaker boy and went to a lot of sporting shows. Turkey hunting was his passion, but deer hunting was a close second.

trackah

Reaction score
Well after hunting the Jackman Region for 25 + years, and being so close on several occasions with a 197, 192 & a 185 pound bucks and several other smaller bucks, It finally happened for me on 11/22/08 the last day of my week long hunt. Buck weighed in at 214 on the scale at Bishops. Interesting enough, my buddy shot his on Monday and it was his first over 200, came in at 210. I had that motivating me all week long, beat him by 4 pounds with only a few hours left on the clock, still drives him nuts :ROFLMAO: Have since killed a 211 with a much nicer rack, but nothing will ever beet that 1st one over the magic 200. 2008 was an unforgettable year for us.

Attachments

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Well after hunting the Jackman Region for 25 + years, and being so close on several occasions with a 197, 192 & a 185 pound bucks and several other smaller bucks, It finally happened for me on 11/22/08 the last day of my week long hunt. Buck weighed in at 214 on the scale at Bishops. Interesting enough, my buddy shot his on Monday and it was his first over 200, came in at 210. I had that motivating me all week long, beat him by 4 pounds with only a few hours left on the clock, still drives him nuts :ROFLMAO: Have since killed a 211 with a much nicer rack, but nothing will ever beet that 1st one over the magic 200. 2008 was an unforgettable year for us.
I had a good year in 2008 also. Congrats on your bucks. Hope you will stick around and join in on some of the threads here. I added your name to the club.