Hunting Cabin

benny8

Reaction score
As things are gearing up toward the hunting season, figured I would give an update on the hunting cabin. After being up there a couple years now, we realized we should have enclosed the porch, especially in the summer when the bugs would like to carry you away. My wife, while cruising Pintrest, found a screened in porch idea she would like. So, a couple weeks ago we started on that idea. We framed it so she could see out the screens onto the food plot in the "front yard". Once the framing and siding and screens were installed, I needed to build some doors. I saw some cool looking doors with wildlife scenes carved into them and decided to add my touch to my doors. I decided on a buck chasing a hot doe. I drew them onto each door along with oak leaves and acorn clusters in the top corners. Then I put the dremel to use. We hung them last weekend. The buck side is on pocket door hardware so it will slide open, and the doe side is fixed with hinges so it can be stationary, but swung open if needed. We now would like to put some indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor of the porch and that will be the end of the work up to the Shamp this year. Almost forgot, we will also be installing a meat pole in the coming days. My clover plot out front, had some hold over turnips from last year. LOL. Good luck to everyone this upcoming season!
screenporch.jpg
porchdoors.jpg
screen.jpg
turnip.jpg

mowbizz

Reaction score
Nice job! I must have missed why you call your camp a shamp...shared camp?

benny8

Reaction score
Nice job! I must have missed why you call your camp a shamp...shared camp?
Shed/Camp=SHAMP

Thank you Mo! It started out to be a shed and we decided to make it a camp. Figured it needed a name and it sort of stuck. Now friends and family all refer to it as the Shamp. LOL

WetWool

Reaction score
Well beyond a "shed" now, excellent work. May a 200 pounder come your way this fall.

benny8

Reaction score
Well beyond a "shed" now, excellent work. May a 200 pounder come your way this fall.
Nice job on the whole Shamp. Memories will continue.

Roger-
Thank you all! Wet Wool that would be awesome, but I would be happy with any deer. Considering I ate tag soup last year. LOL The Shamp is our slice of heaven and a place to make lots more memories with family and friends.

WetWool

Reaction score
Thank you all! Wet Wool that would be awesome, but I would be happy with any deer. Considering I ate tag soup last year. LOL The Shamp is our slice of heaven and a place to make lots more memories with family and friends.
You will find as you get older Benny that its all about just a place to get away, not what it is or how much $ you have in it. For what we use ours for even though its only 30 miles away we should sell it but we won't. When I'm at camp I know longer need my blood pressure meds.:cool:

Several small deer on cam right behind camp but no shooters yet. I passed on a couple small bucks last year waiting for Big Daddy and the wife has already told me the freezer is empty so don't do it again!:D Acorns and beechnuts out in full force this year, good luck to you, the fever is starting to ignite on these cold mornings!:buck:

Last edited:

benny8

Reaction score
You will find as you get older Benny that its all about just a place to get away, not what it is or how much $ you have in it. For what we use ours for even though its only 30 miles away we should sell it but we won't. When I'm at camp I know longer need my blood pressure meds.:cool:

Several small deer on cam right behind camp but no shooters yet. I passed on a couple small bucks last year waiting for Big Daddy and the wife has already told me the freezer is empty so don't do it again!:D Acorns and beechnuts out in full force this year, good luck to you, the fever is starting to ignite on these cold mornings!:buck:
That is exactly what we built it for. It is 20 minutes from home, but miles away from the outskirts of town where the permanent dwelling is. Heck, some nights we take a trip up just to have dinner in the porch and enjoy the tranquility. Cameras on the food plot/front lawn have revealed a couple nice doe's and a spike buck using the plot. Hopefully, the wife or daughter can notch the first deer kill up to the Shamp this fall! Definitely getting the itch!

WetWool

Reaction score
That is exactly what we built it for. It is 20 minutes from home, but miles away from the outskirts of town where the permanent dwelling is. Heck, some nights we take a trip up just to have dinner in the porch and enjoy the tranquility. Cameras on the food plot/front lawn have revealed a couple nice doe's and a spike buck using the plot. Hopefully, the wife or daughter can notch the first deer kill up to the Shamp this fall! Definitely getting the itch!
I always wanted a camp in the wilds of Maine, hours from home but the reality is we just wouldn't have gotten to it! This was the right call for us as well in hindsight, as the kids have gotten older we often go out now just for the day, bbq, and visit the three local craft breweries in area!;) Still love spending every weekend in November there with my son is why I really hang on to it. We haven't even ruled out making some improvements and moving out there when kids are gone, great quiet area, great people.

longbow

Reaction score
I always wanted a camp in the wilds of Maine, hours from home but the reality is we just wouldn't have gotten to it! This was the right call for us as well in hindsight, as the kids have gotten older we often go out now just for the day, bbq, and visit the three local craft breweries in area!;) Still love spending every weekend in November there with my son is why I really hang on to it. We haven't even ruled out making some improvements and moving out there when kids are gone, great quiet area, great people.
Same for me. 9-11 hour drive. Better to rent something for the week when you want to go.

benny8

Reaction score
We had thought about moving up there when we retired, but my wife's shoulder is already giving her problems after 3 failed shoulder surgeries. She is only 43 and the winters take their toll right now. She manages to work and hunt thru the pain and discomfort, but I know in 20 yrs, it will be a different story. We shelved the idea of moving up there and decided to keep it as we had intended in the first place, a getaway. For now, we enjoy it late Spring thru Dec. We sign papers tomorrow on a pc of land in Virginia where we will be working on building our retirement home. My dream was to always have a hunting camp, a place to make memories with the family, and eventually hand down to my daughter and some day her children. We have that right now and are enjoying the heck out of it. Hopefully, we can hang a few deer up there this year!

WetWool

Reaction score
We had thought about moving up there when we retired, but my wife's shoulder is already giving her problems after 3 failed shoulder surgeries. She is only 43 and the winters take their toll right now. She manages to work and hunt thru the pain and discomfort, but I know in 20 yrs, it will be a different story. We shelved the idea of moving up there and decided to keep it as we had intended in the first place, a getaway. For now, we enjoy it late Spring thru Dec. We sign papers tomorrow on a pc of land in Virginia where we will be working on building our retirement home. My dream was to always have a hunting camp, a place to make memories with the family, and eventually hand down to my daughter and some day her children. We have that right now and are enjoying the heck out of it. Hopefully, we can hang a few deer up there this year!
That stinks your wife has to go through that so young, warmer climate definitely may be what you need down the road. Good luck to her.

benny8

Reaction score
That stinks your wife has to go through that so young, warmer climate definitely may be what you need down the road. Good luck to her.
Thanks WetWool! She's a trooper. After a work related injury 3 years ago, I'm dealing with some issues with the cold as well. Lacerated 2 nerves and the artery in my left index finger and 1 nerve and the artery in my left middle finger. Its healed over, but no feeling in either and limited range of motion in my index. Wife told me after the incident I would be able to predict the weather and she was right. Only positive out of it all is we both get to bow hunt with crossbows in NH. Thank you sir!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks WetWool! She's a trooper. After a work related injury 3 years ago, I'm dealing with some issues with the cold as well. Lacerated 2 nerves and the artery in my left index finger and 1 nerve and the artery in my left middle finger. Its healed over, but no feeling in either and limited range of motion in my index. Wife told me after the incident I would be able to predict the weather and she was right. Only positive out of it all is we both get to bow hunt with crossbows in NH. Thank you sir!
benny, I've said it before and I'll say it again...... I envy your fellas with camps. Especially the ones close to home. When the kids are grown I want to buy a piece of land and build a camp too. I want it close to home so I can decide I'm going to take a ride just to mow the lawn and if I feel like staying the night I can still get up with a reasonable distance to travel to work. Of course there's the dynamic of being able to hunt and fish out of it as well.

benny8

Reaction score
benny, I've said it before and I'll say it again...... I envy your fellas with camps. Especially the ones close to home. When the kids are grown I want to buy a piece of land and build a camp too. I want it close to home so I can decide I'm going to take a ride just to mow the lawn and if I feel like staying the night I can still get up with a reasonable distance to travel to work. Of course there's the dynamic of being able to hunt and fish out of it as well.
NH Hunter- A getaway was the main reason for us. The added convenience of being able to hunt from camp made it the awesome choice. Close to home worked good because my wife wanted some place that she could get to easily(she's not good with directions due to Dyslexia) if I was there before she wanted to go. Another factor was the amount of doe days allowed in this WM Unit. It is very peaceful here even if it us just going up for dinner on the porch. I certainly hope your dreams of owning a camp come true.

WetWool

Reaction score
C259CD3C-8B63-4623-A235-41E0ADC62693.jpg

It really doesn’t take much to provide a lot of fun and life long memories, I built mine for 10k as a family project, 30 work days off and on. You'll make it happen.

Last edited:

benny8

Reaction score
View attachment 22261

It really doesn’t take much to provide a lot of fun and life long memories, I built mine for 10k as a family project, 30 work days off and on. You'll make it happen.
It is a great family project is right. My Dad, my wife and my daughter and I built the Shamp in 14 work days during my 2 week shutdown from work. Total cost to make it watertight was about $3500. We then did a bit of finish work inside on weekends as we got the money. Wetwool, is your camp "down under". LOL