Hunting Cabin

benny8

Reaction score
Last year around this time, I was chatting on here with a guy looking at a cabin in Fitzwilliam. We were closing on our hunting property at the time. The land was mature hardwoods with a dense canopy. The sun hadn't reached the ground in years. We select cut it of Ash, Birch and cherry. This year with the opened up canopy, the growth has been great. We have a lot more deer activity as there is something to eat, rather than just pass thru. In front of the cabin we are planting a clover plot and will be adding some fruit trees. Just thought I would share our little piece of heaven with you. My dad and I built this in 2 weeks during my shutdown vacation.Shamp1.jpgshamp2.jpgshamp3.jpgshamp6.jpgshamp7.jpg

Big D

Reaction score
Great looking place. Looks like you've got a serious stockpile of firewood too.

benny8

Reaction score
That looks fantastic! Any interior shots?
Thanks everyone. Interior is still be worked on. Basically one bedroom in right rear of cabin with woodstoves area in the left rear and open in the front. Cooking will be done on the porch and next spring I will be building a bath house/shed.

Wandling

Reaction score
Beautiful cabin. What did you do for a foundation? What are the dimensions and estimated cost so far? I'm wanting to build one at my camp and would like real world estimates.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Looks sweet!!!! I've got my wife about 85% in on a "camp". If we can squirrel away enough coin for a down payment in the next few years, I will own one!!

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Nice looking camp, thanks for the look. I always enjoy seeing other peoples camp setups.

I just got back from a week vacation at my camp. I put in some concrete piers for a covered porch/shower room addition I hope to have ready for deer season.

Last edited:

benny8

Reaction score
Beautiful cabin. What did you do for a foundation? What are the dimensions and estimated cost so far? I'm wanting to build one at my camp and would like real world estimates.
Wandling-The foundation is basically 12"x12"x10" deck feet. The gravel base sits on top of granite, so there was no digging sonotubes. The footprint is 16'x28'. The cabin itself is 16'x20' with the 8'x16' porch. To get the building weather tight(siding, roofing, etc.) it cost me $3500. The front windows in the porch are Pella replacement windows that I found at a yard sale for $20 each(still in wrapper), the 4 awning windows I built from old Anderson Window sashes I got from my cousin. The front door I built from Home Depot 2x8's and 2x6's. The siding is shiplap that I got from a buddy who works at a mill and got his discount on planer outs. Used the same stuff to board over the roof. The interior for the most part is unfinished at this point with the exception of the one bedroom framed up. We insulated the ceiling last weekend, and will insulate the walls next weekend. Then we will be finished for this year. I expect about $5k total when I finish.

benny8

Reaction score
Nice. Congratulations and wish you many seasons of success and fellowship with your hunting partners and friends.
Thank you. We will make lots of memories. My hunting partners are my wife, daughter and brother and occasionally my buddy. Best wishes to you as well.