Huge bummer....

NH-Archer

Reaction score
I hunting with my daughter, Taylor, Sunday evening. What most would want, to see their child whack a deer. She has no time to hunt lately, work/school and playing hockey.
Anyways, we sat up on a field edge, wind in our face.... all's good... she's sleeping.... 3:55pm, I tell her that it can only get better as we have 45 minutes left.
4:08pm, I see a deer coming from my left... diagonal into the field, it's a buck!!! Like an 8 pointer, nose to the ground..... I elbow her (sitting on my right side) "deer!!! deer!!!!, get your gun up!!!!"
She lifts the shotgun, turns to the left, the buck sees her move and freezes. She lets it rip.. "boom!!" He does a 180 and runs back.....
She is shaking like crazy!!! I hug her... good job!!! We pack up and walk towards the spot where he was standing.... nothing.
I B-line it to the woodline and find blood... good blood. She's pumped now. OMG, first deer and it's a good buck!!! The day I decide to NOT where my rubber boots...
We follow a great blood trail, 1/4 mile... through swamp, thick crap, all the stuff we DON'T walk through usually. We come to a cut grass field and still find blood, WTF???!!!
We cross the grass field and enter more woods... blood, blood..... then, nothing. Done. ??????? What??? I decided to call F&G dispatch, oh wait, they're closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I look up blood trailing dog people, call the closest guy, in Manchester. I get a voice mailbox. Leave a message. I get a text from the guy in Manchester to call a guy in Milford, Frank.
Now, I love reading the bloodtrailing threads here, but not for my daughter. Frank was awesome!!! The dog ran around like crazy.... then took off. I'm like, here we go!!! Yes!!!!
After and hour and a half.... Frank comes back to the truck and says, "we kicked him up and he crossed the main road, running like nothing happened!!" Because of lack of blood and the way the deer responded,
Frank felt that he's still alive. I told him, "with the blood he left, there's no way!!!" He disagreed. End of story.
Yesterday, I get a text from Frank, of a screen shot from someone on facebook that found a buck in the same town, that was shot the night before!!! Frank say's "I think he found your daughter's deer!!!"
My heart is pumping!!! I talked to the guy that posted the found deer. As we talked, my heart started to sink... not ours. 2 miles north and seemed to be hit with a bow, no exit wound. Again, no deer.
If you read this story, I appreciated it. We all hope for the best.... but things happen beyond our control. We tried our best. I really want to thank Frank, who was top notch and his dog "Red" I have them as a contact now.
The season isn't over.... yet. Good luck to all.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I hunting with my daughter, Taylor, Sunday evening. What most would want, to see their child whack a deer. She has no time to hunt lately, work/school and playing hockey.
Anyways, we sat up on a field edge, wind in our face.... all's good... she's sleeping.... 3:55pm, I tell her that it can only get better as we have 45 minutes left.
4:08pm, I see a deer coming from my left... diagonal into the field, it's a buck!!! Like an 8 pointer, nose to the ground..... I elbow her (sitting on my right side) "deer!!! deer!!!!, get your gun up!!!!"
She lifts the shotgun, turns to the left, the buck sees her move and freezes. She lets it rip.. "boom!!" He does a 180 and runs back.....
She is shaking like crazy!!! I hug her... good job!!! We pack up and walk towards the spot where he was standing.... nothing.
I B-line it to the woodline and find blood... good blood. She's pumped now. OMG, first deer and it's a good buck!!! The day I decide to NOT where my rubber boots...
We follow a great blood trail, 1/4 mile... through swamp, thick crap, all the stuff we DON'T walk through usually. We come to a cut grass field and still find blood, WTF???!!!
We cross the grass field and enter more woods... blood, blood..... then, nothing. Done. ??????? What??? I decided to call F&G dispatch, oh wait, they're closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I look up blood trailing dog people, call the closest guy, in Manchester. I get a voice mailbox. Leave a message. I get a text from the guy in Manchester to call a guy in Milford, Frank.
Now, I love reading the bloodtrailing threads here, but not for my daughter. Frank was awesome!!! The dog ran around like crazy.... then took off. I'm like, here we go!!! Yes!!!!
After and hour and a half.... Frank comes back to the truck and says, "we kicked him up and he crossed the main road, running like nothing happened!!" Because of lack of blood and the way the deer responded,
Frank felt that he's still alive. I told him, "with the blood he left, there's no way!!!" He disagreed. End of story.
Yesterday, I get a text from Frank, of a screen shot from someone on facebook that found a buck in the same town, that was shot the night before!!! Frank say's "I think he found your daughter's deer!!!"
My heart is pumping!!! I talked to the guy that posted the found deer. As we talked, my heart started to sink... not ours. 2 miles north and seemed to be hit with a bow, no exit wound. Again, no deer.
If you read this story, I appreciated it. We all hope for the best.... but things happen beyond our control. We tried our best. I really want to thank Frank, who was top notch and his dog "Red" I have them as a contact now.
The season isn't over.... yet. Good luck to all.
Yup...bummer for sure. Better luck next time!

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Those dogs and their owners/handlers do amazing work from all the stories I have read. Too bad about the deer but it happens to us all if we hunt long enough.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Very disappointing for sure. But that’s hunting. Tell her to keep her head up and she’ll get him next time.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
That sucks for anyone never mind a new hunter. I hope for you and her she doesn't give up because of it.
I just posted an 11 pointer I killed in the taxidermy thread. I shot that Buck as he flew out of a drainage hole and hit him once in the lower chest with a 180 grain '06 and the blood trail was like nothing I have seen before or since. A warden was called because it ran onto posted property. Long story short it opened him up like he was gutted and his entrails were hanging out and the woods road he ran down looked like someone was swinging a watering can. He bedded once before I kicked him up and the pool of blood was the size of a truck hood. Three hours later I finished him off as he was trying like hell to get up.....tough bastards!!!

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. My best friends son shot A doe with his bow same type of deal. Everything looked really good. We gave the deer a few hours just to be sure only to lose the blood trail and deer. We presume it survived based on the loops and grid searching 5 of us did. That kid has since grown into a man and become a good hunter. keep your chins up stuff happens sometimes.

NH-Archer

Reaction score
"NH Archer, how is she feeling about it?"

She wants to go out ASAP!!! That was her second chance at a deer, never mind a mature buck. We want to shoot the gun again to make sure she's on.
So, she's positive. Thx.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
"NH Archer, how is she feeling about it?"

She wants to go out ASAP!!! That was her second chance at a deer, never mind a mature buck. We want to shoot the gun again to make sure she's on.
So, she's positive. Thx.
That's great. Best of luck to her. What kind of shotgun is she shooting?

12point

Reaction score
What kind of slug was being used? Had a bad experience with Remington Accu-Tip 20 Ga in the past. Stopped using them after finding out on-line that other people were reporting the same. Not sure how the 12 ga ones are. Now I use lightfield 3 inch or browning BXS 2 3/4 inch. Took a deer with the BXS this year and it performed very well. Hope she gets another chance. Maybe snow for tomorrow.

Latest posts