Howdy all

Walks in woods

Reaction score
NJ to ME transplant, looking forward to my first season in the north woods. My only issue I have to so far is I cant decide between a 30-30 lever action or 30-06 bolt. A problem I have no problem dealing with.

In the Central coast region, began my scouting 2 weeks ago, cant wait to see what Maine has in store for me!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I'm still in NJ. Where were you in NJ?

Having multiple rifles and having to decide is a good problem to have! Have you hunted in Maine before?

I was real close to buying a place near Harrington, Maine a few years back. I might buy the same camp if it ever comes back on the market. I would like to move there in a couple of years, but the wife is apprehensive because of the cold.

MGK

Reaction score
Both are more then sufficient. Comes down to the terrain you’ll be hunting. You’ll be hard pressed to find a shot longer then 100yrds in the Woods. However if you plan to hunt cuts, fields, or power lines you’ll be happier with the 30-06 IMO

Igloo

Reaction score
Welcome. I've never lived in either state, but having spent time in both, I know you made a wise choice. (Longbow seems like too good of a person to live in NJ. Perhaps he sinned in a previous life?)

You're expecting to hunt the woods, but what? Deer, or will you pursue to ultimate form of manliness, bear hunting?

I don't want to start a holy war because a 30-30 WILL kill a bear, but for that quarry, I would most certainly choose the .30-06 instead. Better still, why not a short action like the .308?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
(Longbow seems like too good of a person to live in NJ. Perhaps he sinned in a previous life?)
Ha, ha, you would like the bear down here though. many 600 to 800+ pounders taken each year. Need heavy equipment to get them out of the woods and into your truck. lol

Igloo

Reaction score
Ha, ha, you would like the bear down here though. many 600 to 800+ pounders taken each year. Need heavy equipment to get them out of the woods and into your truck. lol
Finally, a good reason to go to New Jersey!

Are they still limiting bear hunts to private lands?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The bear permit is only two dollars even for out-of-state hunters. But you still have to get a hunting license which is 135 for Non-residents.

Last edited:

Walks in woods

Reaction score
Happy to see there is some life to this forum, got a little scared of the lack of posts.

Longbow: im from central jersey, but spent most of my time north of 78 and up. Never hunted Maine, never worked out with timing but have been trying to get up here for a few years now.

Igloo: Im here for deer, if i wanted bear Id stay in jersey (well pre governor restrictions), more bears and bigger bears, but I dont seem to have a taste for them, got 2 and not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the advice MGK, im looking to track in the woods, no powerlines for me this year. Wanting to get the north woods experience.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Happy to see there is some life to this forum, got a little scared of the lack of posts.

Longbow: im from central jersey, but spent most of my time north of 78 and up. Never hunted Maine, never worked out with timing but have been trying to get up here for a few years now.

Igloo: Im here for deer, if i wanted bear Id stay in jersey (well pre governor restrictions), more bears and bigger bears, but I dont seem to have a taste for them, got 2 and not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the advice MGK, im looking to track in the woods, no powerlines for me this year. Wanting to get the north woods experience.
This place will liven up once hunting season starts up. I live right near the Gap just off I-80. Been hunting up in Maine since 1990. You might find some pretty decent deer numbers along the "midcoast". I hunt up north, west of Ashland. A glutton for punishment I guess.;) Some big boys around up there that are rarely seen.

Igloo

Reaction score
...but I dont seem to have a taste for them, got 2 and not my cup of tea.
Do you mean that literally, as in the taste of the meat, or figuratively, as in the taste for the hunting experience?

If you're referring to the meat itself, it took some years to become proficient, but now my wife makes a mean bear steak.

Walks in woods

Reaction score
Longbow: Im looking to hunt out that way too, west of the highway. If i wanted to shoot a bunch of deer, id stay in jersey. Im after that 5yo buck that has never seen a person. Maine is full of stories of 200lb+ legends, I might be chasing a ghost for all I know, but ill learn a lot in my adventures.

Igloo: literal taste, i hunted bear incidentally deer hunting, not bait and wait. Stew was tolerable, but id never want to have to eat 100lbs of stew, tried jerky too, but never went as quick as deer or goose jerky did around the house.

Grandkid

Reaction score
LB I think you have a good deal with all the deer down there. Don't you think?

Roger-

Last edited:

Grandkid

Reaction score
Good luck with your move to Maine and deer hunting and tracking. Remington pump in 06 or any other caliber.

Roger-

Igloo

Reaction score
LB I think you have a good deal with all the deer down there. Don't you think?

Roger-
Good question. If there are more deer down in NJ, and as you say, the bears are bigger than in ME, why come to ME to hunt?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Good question. If there are more deer down in NJ, and as you say, the bears are bigger than in ME, why come to ME to hunt?
The reason most of us hunt here, the fact that there is millions of acres of open private and public land. No development, likely never see another person in the woods the entire season, the ability to hunt on snow, the chance of a 200-300 pound field dressed buck.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
The reason most of us hunt here, the fact that there is millions of acres of open private and public land. No development, likely never see another person in the woods the entire season, the ability to hunt on snow, the chance of a 200-300 pound field dressed buck.
and hunting "success" isn't measured by killing.