How to Process Your Deer

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
That's awesome right there...well done. Can we sticky that link?

Reaction score
haha, that is awesome, I know teh guy who did that, ol' Rancid Crabtree, he is a fellow knife maker and on a few of the forums i'm a member of. This guy can cut up a deer dang quick!!!!

jamiebuck

Reaction score
looks like ive been doing it right,lol very good info to coach kids and keep them intrested:D

nbbucks

Reaction score
That is a great read. I used to cut through the pelvis with a saw to get my halves but I'll be doing it this way now.

WoodlandHermit

Reaction score
Well done for sure. I like how he breaks it down into simple steps.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
I just tried logging in on that site...couldn't remember if I was a member over there or not. It logged me in and said my last visit was 2003!

danf

Reaction score
Center Ossipee, NH- forever a HOOSIER though
Dude goes to a lot more trouble to get ALL of the meat than I do. :eek: I do a lot of it the same way, but to me the ribs aren't worth the trouble. I also get sick of cutting neck meat off and usually quit after about 10 minutes of it.

I've only done a couple by myself though, and I've gotten faster each time.

gregwaa

Reaction score
I use the front legs for that...if not their burger too....I eat a lot of bamby burger....Folks don't seem to shy away from it much either...great link.I like this guys sense of humor

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Very slick. I agree with NB, I ussually cut down the deers spine to make the deer more managable. A butcher told me that when I cut the bone, the marrow gives the meat the "gamey" taste. I marked this site for later...

Reaction score
Deer Processing

I process about 80-90 deer during our season in the Catskills in NY. I've been doing it for 25 years and don't get to go out hunting until the last week. I must say that this post about deer processing is the most no nonsense, explanatory work I have ever seen. Good job. There is an argument about how to hang a deer. I hang them by the hind legs. I find that they drain better and very little (if any)hair gets on the meat.Someday I'll submit a video or Pics of cutting steaks and cutlets from the hind quarter and loin.
As for "gamey" taste-I have yet to find a deer with a "gamey" taste unless it was not gutted properly(i.e. not removing bunghole or urine sac, leaving on testicles, leaving skin on too long in varying temperatures which prevents proper cooling).
To gut a deer properly the first step is to cut around and pull out the anus. You can even split the pelvis but thats not absolutely neccessary. Most "hunters" neglect to do this.

Last edited:

hurricane

Reaction score
Thanks for bumping this excellent link back up Catskill Adventure. Seems like there's always something new to learn.

quote: "Someday I'll submit a video or Pics of cutting steaks and cutlets from the hind quarter and loin."

Look forward to it!

- Jay

Reaction score
Venison steaks and cutlets

All it takes is a good, sharp, thin bladed filet knife. Once you get the hang of it the job goes quickly.

hurricane

Reaction score
I sent the link to my son. We've been known to cut a few critters together over the years.. Here's his response:

quote: "Good tutorial on deboning the front & hind quarters. I will have to step up my game to come away with bones as clean as that. Cutting it while hanging is something we might want to try out. They forgot a lot of crucial steps to the cutting process though. Beer is the first & last part of every cutting sequence! What a bunch of hacks!" :smile::smile::smile:

I might add:

Gotta keep yer strength up during the cutting process.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Boneless neck

After cutting out the loin or "backstraps" cut down length of cervical spine, folding and cutting along each side of the bone. Cut out bone, pull out windpipe. trim this piece of meat and cut lengthwise so there are 2 boneless pieces of meat (cut into 4 pieces if neck is swollen due to rut). Now take a mallet and pound the hell out of both sides. Lay a few pinyon nuts on pieces, roll up and tie with string. These "bragioles" are great when cooked in a big pot of spaghetti sauce!