How To Carry Extra Rifle Cartridges

.270 Pump

Reaction score
What do you use to carry extra rifle cartridges when hunting? A carrier on the rifle butt stock, some type of belt carrier or something else.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I use an uncle mikes belt carrier. Folds in 3 so its nice compact and tight.

Flatlander

Reaction score
With my 7600 I carry an extra clip. With my bolt actions and levers I carry ten round belt wallets, 5 loaded and 5 in the wallet.

Buckmaster7600

Reaction score
Everything but my levers have removable mags so I have a spare in my pocket. My levers all hold enough so I don't need to Carry spares.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I have 5 rounds in the gun , an extra clip in my vest for a quick reload plus one extra round in my pocket plus an extra clip and a single round in my fanny pack. If i miss 15 shots then its time to throw the gun in the swamp and go home. LOL

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Extra magazine(s) with my 7600, one loose round in a front pocket always and if I'm using a rifle without a mag, I usually rubberband 3-4 rounds together and have that in my pack.

Reaction score
I have two leather pouches I carry one each side, on my belt, that are made for the 760 mags by the Hunter company. Also have a older Kolpin leather snap pouch that has loops inside that can carry about 5-7 rounds that I keep as extra rounds in a spare pack left in truck

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Funny story. I know a guy with a 7600 in a 35 Whelen. He was hunting a swamp edge. All of a sudden a nice buck came blistering across the swamp. He emptied his gun at the running deer. He put his spare clip in. Not 30 seconds later, the buck came back across on a dead run. He emptied his gun again, and watched the buck bound into the woods. He started walking over to the area to look for blood. All off a sudden the buck came running back across, only this time, he stopped broad side and looked at the hunter. The guy was out of ammo!

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
A clip in my back pocket, a clip in my belt pack, and a cartridge carrier holding 10 shots on my belt. Don't anticipate missing that many shots but they can be good communication in the big woods in an emergency.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Spare mag in my jacket pocket and another 8 shells on my belt in a nylon uncle mikes cartridge holder.

.270 Pump

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I'll look into a spare clip & maybe a small cartridge holder.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
A clip in the gun, one in my coat pocket and one in my belt pack. Like others said I don't anticipate needing them but out in the mountains it's a long walk back to the truck for more ammo.

amclimber

Reaction score
I always carry two extra clips for my 7400. I always carry a spare pair of mittens and a clip goes inside each mitten and than inside the game pouch in the back of my coat, or in my waist pack if I'm carrying it that day.