How much gear to you carry during deer season?

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
When I was a young guy, it was nothing more than another load of 3.06 rounds period. Today, I sling a camel back pack with a range finder, folding saw, limb clippers, deer drag harness, head lamp, extra batteries, GPS, ancient power bars(I should change those out, don't ask how old), bino's, "Down Wind" directional powder, rattle bag, grunt call, para cord, waterproof matches.......geez, I think that may be it.
So, what do you do? Are you a minimalist or do you load out a bit more?

Xbolt

Reaction score
Depends, on what state we hunt
.here in ny
Rifles /w amno, binoculars, knife field dressing gloves,
Montana/ colorado wyoming, idaho
Rifle/ammo, backpack, spotting scope, range finder binoculars, bipod, knives,bonesaw, water inreach/gps licences, First aid kit, meat bags,
Camping equipment extra clothes
And a out vof shape freind in case, you bump a grizzly 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

lester2

Reaction score
GPS in left front, compass in right front pocket. Wallet in left rear, snot rag in right rear pocket, Buck 110 folder on belt. VHF radio in left jac-shirt upper pocket, extra magazine with 4 rounds in right upper jac-shirt pocket. Grunt and snort calls around my neck tucked into my shirt. Cell phone and reading glasses in left shirt pocket. Belt pack with 2 more mags, small water bottle, sandwich, snacks, drag rope, spare gloves, rifle sling, headlamp and flashlight, spare compass and cell phone charger in main compartment. License and tags, pen, zip ties, lighter, spare AA, AAA, and hearing aid batteries, tp and dude wipes, ibuprofen and assorted bandaids in small front pocket. Fleece covered puss pad hanging from my belt. That’s about it!

Xbolt

Reaction score
Cell phones, get left in the truck where we hunt we dont get reception hence the inreach/gps, satellite phone

mowbizz

Reaction score
Lol… in the “old days” it was all on your “hunting belt” one knife, one drag rope (dad used nice nylon rope and dyed it red and put a brass thumb clip on one end) extra mag with 4 rounds loaded in a coat pocket for the 742, just the leather belt carrier if a lever rifle, maybe a candy bar.
Pin on compasses one on the shirt, one on the hat. Maybe a topo map if a new area.
No phones, no batteries, maybe a walkie talkie if you were with friends.
No one knew about scrapes and rubs except that it was “sign”…no grunt tubes, scents (maybe a drop or 2 of “anise oil” on the cap) some gloves. Oh, and a few wraps of TP if you remembered…sometimes you cut off a shirt tail to wipe.
NOW! I Need to haul a trailer behind me! 😂

Xbolt

Reaction score
Ny we use the kiss sysyem (we, also own the 940 acres we hunt on) so no need for tons of gear in ny. Our western hunts, on the other hand lol you might think we were moveing

Last edited:

groundtender

Reaction score
I hunt from a tower blind. There’s quite a bit of stuff in it that’s been mentioned by others. Most of that stuff stays there even in the off season. I take in daily food and water, and my phone. No signal, but the Onyx app doesn’t require it. Heavy warm clothing stays in blind, but comes out at end of season.

Xbolt

Reaction score
We hunt tower blinds in ny
When we hunt out west its spot and stalk
Normally long range (300+yrds)shooting

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
When I was a young guy, it was nothing more than another load of 3.06 rounds period. Today, I sling a camel back pack with a range finder, folding saw, limb clippers, deer drag harness, head lamp, extra batteries, GPS, ancient power bars(I should change those out, don't ask how old), bino's, "Down Wind" directional powder, rattle bag, grunt call, para cord, waterproof matches.......geez, I think that may be it.
So, what do you do? Are you a minimalist or do you load out a bit more?
Sounds like you have been through my pack? I don't use the range finder during gun season so that is out but add lunch. Pack is still too heavy

nhbowhunter

Reaction score
I have a sling pack which contains short bone saw, headlamp, spare batteries, drag harness, space blanket, fire starter, protein bars, TP, water bottle and two glow sticks. On my person is compass, grunt tube, fixed bladed knife and folding knife. I still feel like I carry too much; my dad had a knife, compass & drag rope.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Lol… in the “old days” it was all on your “hunting belt” one knife, one drag rope (dad used nice nylon rope and dyed it red and put a brass thumb clip on one end) extra mag with 4 rounds loaded in a coat pocket for the 742, just the leather belt carrier if a lever rifle, maybe a candy bar.
Pin on compasses one on the shirt, one on the hat. Maybe a topo map if a new area.
No phones, no batteries, maybe a walkie talkie if you were with friends.
No one knew about scrapes and rubs except that it was “sign”…no grunt tubes, scents (maybe a drop or 2 of “anise oil” on the cap) some gloves. Oh, and a few wraps of TP if you remembered…sometimes you cut off a shirt tail to wipe.
NOW! I Need to haul a trailer behind me! 😂
I remember a heavy hideous set of block plaid red hunting coat and pants my dad made me wear when I first started going hunting with him.....and I mean going, as the first couple of years, I didn't carry a rifle. I was there to watch and learn. I can still hear him say, "you won't see a deer with your eyes on the ground boy..."

Your reply took me down a bit of memory lane.

JDK

Reaction score
I carry:

Knife
2 compasses
3-5 extra shells
Water bottle
Apple, pear, or the like
Drag rope

nhbowhunter

Reaction score
I remember a heavy hideous set of block plaid red hunting coat and pants my dad made me wear when I first started going hunting with him.....and I mean going, as the first couple of years, I didn't carry a rifle. I was there to watch and learn. I can still hear him say, "you won't see a deer with your eyes on the ground boy..."

Your reply took me down a bit of memory lane.
My gramps used to tell me to "walk like an indian"...

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I carry a small Fanny pack when I’m up north and not just hunting around the house. I keep everything in my pack minus the call and a pin on compass.

Inreach
Deer call
Knife
Drag rope
License
7 extra shells
10 feet of flagging tape
Winter hat with headlamp built in
Gloves
Sling
TP and a couple single size dude wipes
Lighter and small candle to start a fire

Gatorade
Pack of crackers
Sandwich

NH Hunter

Reaction score
In my pack:
Spare compass
spare batteries AA and AAA for GPS and Headlamps
2 clip on hat head lamps (they're small and can't turn on by bumping into something else)
2 firestarters
Matches in water proof case
space blanket
ace bandage
4 or 5 large band aids
3 hand wipes
paracord
sling
drag rope
water
sammich, (ok probably 2 I'm a fat bastard)
fruit of some sort
Set of dry socks

In/on my jacket or on my belt:
ball compass
GPS
2-3 spare shells
knife
couple protein bars
knit hat and spare gloves in my rear pouch of jacket
shit tickets in rear pouch, both rear pockets of pants (I hate getting caught without TP, I've got gloves scattered all over the two mountains I hunt)
license
grunt call

*TP is actually the blue shop towels you can buy on the roll at any hardware store. Hands down the best woods ticket there is!!! I'd consider myself at least a 5th degree woods shitter.

Latest posts