How do these guys do it?

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I’m trying to think back to last season. Weren’t there a lot of deer killed up there last season due to the early heavy snows so a lot of deer were shot on the migration trails?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I’m trying to think back to last season. Weren’t there a lot of deer killed up there last season due to the early heavy snows so a lot of deer were shot on the migration trails?
Yes. Snow came early and left late last year. I found 5 deer skulls where I have never found any. Also, last season some people were crying to have the season closed because hunters were slaughtering them in yards and winter feeding area.

JDK

Reaction score
For those that whine about hunting deer in migration, satellite tracking studies by IFW show that deer here start migrating towards the yards in August. There are deer that summer east of Long Lake and yard near Portage. Guess we shouldn’t shoot them if we see them huh???

the deer I had a picture of started back in mid-October

mowbizz

Reaction score
For those that whine about hunting deer in migration, satellite tracking studies by IFW show that deer here start migrating towards the yards in August. There are deer that summer east of Long Lake and yard near Portage. Guess we shouldn’t shoot them if we see them huh???

the deer I had a picture of started back in mid-October
I think the “whiners” are mostly opposed to the virtual, slaughter of bucks already in or near their yards in a very “deep snow” season and in well defined and known trails through the deep snow. No comparison to movement on bare ground in any season.

groundtender

Reaction score
I always figured that “going to yard” was like a leaving a sinking ship....women and children first. Except in extreme snow conditions like we’ve experienced the last two Novembers, it seems like the big bucks hold out much longer. And I don’t blame them!

JDK

Reaction score
I think the “whiners” are mostly opposed to the virtual, slaughter of bucks already in or near their yards in a very “deep snow” season and in well defined and known trails through the deep snow. No comparison to movement on bare ground in any season.
With all due respect, Bull

the deer here have been migrating since early whenever. They were using migration routes when it was 70 degrees and no snow. Now that we have 3 inches they are using migration trails. You can either hunt them where you want them to be or hunt them where they are. Up to you. We all love those ridges but

people have been shooting them fir decades. If the whiners don’t like it they should problem hunt states or areas where deer don’t yard

just my 2 cents and no one has to agree

JDK

Reaction score
And, if it is such a concern then my suggestion about seasons is reinforced

in a one deer state let’s have one season. Any weapon. October 15-November 15. But those who like to track in the north country wouldn’t be able to track their bucks that are migrating....or at least looking for migrating does

Gfedor

Reaction score
On our way home. 8 days of hunting in the North Maine Woods, west of Ashland. 7 days on a half inch of crunchy ice, 1 day of heavy rain. 3 hunters, 1 buck jumped, no other deer seen. Few tracks as compared to other years. Found 5 deer skeletons in the vicinity of a deer yarding area. Never found any before. Thinking the heavy snow last year may have taken a toll. First time in 30 years that I did not see a single deer.
Longbow, atleast you got to get up to the Northwoods. I couldn't go this year, maybe next year. I hunted up in that area for years at Oxbow lodge, some great memories, but I have to say once I started hunting different area ( moosehead lake area) wow did things pick up. Last year was a amazing year as far as sign, tracks etc. I had my chance at my buck and couldn't get the shot. But the amount of sign I had, from rubs, scrapes,tracks, scat was almost compared to NJ .
I know you are ole school, and love the remoteness, but ?

Gfedor

Reaction score
Yes. Snow came early and left late last year. I found 5 deer skulls where I have never found any. Also, last season some people were crying to have the season closed because hunters were slaughtering them in yards and winter feeding area.
Excellent answer. I recall many saying bucks where just hanging in yarding areas and just wouldn't come out. Easy Pickens?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I know we beat this death in years past, but depending on location and town the migration and wintering areas vary area and concentration. I don’t have an issue with guys determining migration routes and trails, for example when they move to a river corridor or lake area. When they come into neighborhoods standing at the wood line of someone’s yard waiting for people to start dumping the grain and get blasted, it is sort of disappointing. That happened two years straight around Jackman. Big mature bucks killed right on peoples lawns, lots of them. Now everyone is saying, where are all the big bucks?
Rangeley has it right with a huge portion of town a game preserve to help the yarding deer.
My thought is that the kill may be down in Jackman more so due to the crusty snow. We saw no lack of sign or deer, it seemed up compared to most years, but hard to get close. Is their a material amount of less 200 pounders running around, I’m going to saw probably.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
And, if it is such a concern then my suggestion about seasons is reinforced

in a one deer state let’s have one season. Any weapon. October 15-November 15. But those who like to track in the north country wouldn’t be able to track their bucks that are migrating....or at least looking for migrating does
Guidea Association would fight that tooth and nail and who could blame them. A huge part of the alure of hunting deer in Maine is to hunt them on snow if Norther Maine gets any for those big 200+ lb monsters. This would hurt the camps a lot. Aside from that it overlaps with grouse, fall turkey, bear and maybe a week or so of moose season depending on the zone?

I think I agree with Kingman, if the deer yard closer to towns like everyone says they then deisgnate those areas a preserve and not allow hunting in those zones at least for deer. I dont live up there, is migration trail hunting really as common as its made out to be?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Guidea Association would fight that tooth and nail and who could blame them. A huge part of the alure of hunting deer in Maine is to hunt them on snow if Norther Maine gets any for those big 200+ lb monsters. This would hurt the camps a lot. Aside from that it overlaps with grouse, fall turkey, bear and maybe a week or so of moose season depending on the zone?

I think I agree with Kingman, if the deer yard closer to towns like everyone says they then deisgnate those areas a preserve and not allow hunting in those zones at least for deer. I dont live up there, is migration trail hunting really as common as its made out to be?
No, but there are annual trails but in areas I hunt could be 5-6 miles. More corridors or a finger of trails that go to yards or towns. It’s not easy hunting or a sure thing and I know some that I have never seen people hunt. I get more concerned once the deer funnel during the season to parking lots of businesses or in the yards of lake front camps because everyone feeds them all winter and then they are picked off. Deer migrate for miles some early and late, vast distances. You hunt them during movement, go ahead. You shoot a buck standing under a bird feeder that thinks it’s winter, don’t come looking to me for a high five.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
One thing about deer hunting in northern and eastern maine; and this is only my opinion; but killing mature bucks in good numbers is not substainable year after year in the same areas. They are having a pretty good year around here this year knocking down some nice bucks. But the next few years will not be nearly as good. I see it happen here regularly around here. Shoot enough big mature bucks one year and it's going to take 3 to 5 years to have another good year like it. There's just not enough of them in the gene pool to kill a good number of them year after year. A resource that is not renewing nearly as quickly as they are being taken in the good hunting years.

JDK

Reaction score
So everyone wants to bitch but no one wants to change. Got it.

JDK

Reaction score
The original premise is this thread was as king how a couple of guys who kill big deer do it. Automatically it goes to jacking, apples, food plots, bad scales, or some implied illegal means. I haven’t seen or heard anything here that proved they are anything other than good hunters who want to remain out of the limelight ligh. If I am proven wrong I will admit it.

then it goes to the bad late season hunters. Wahhh. Waaaahhh waahhh

instead if celebrating success, it always jumps to the bad. Kind of sad really.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
The original premise is this thread was as king how a couple of guys who kill big deer do it. Automatically it goes to jacking, apples, food plots, bad scales, or some implied illegal means. I haven’t seen or heard anything here that proved they are anything other than good hunters who want to remain out of the limelight ligh. If I am proven wrong I will admit it.

then it goes to the bad late season hunters. Wahhh. Waaaahhh waahhh

instead if celebrating success, it always jumps to the bad. Kind of sad really.

I think most of the comments were tongue in cheek, at least mine were. I have no idea who we were talking about or where they hunt. 🍎

Latest posts