Home Depot had a sale....

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Saturday was a washout as far as being able to hunt. I got up and took care of the trash( where we live in Connecticut the town recycles thus you have to separate everything for each compactor at the transfer station) so after that I visited Dad. We went to Cabelas then on the way home I stopped at Home Depot for some things that the house needs.

I had to check out the trees and noticed a fifty percent off sign. There were two Keifer pear saplings that appeared very healthy. So for 20 bucks I bought the pair. Today I'll plant them near the edge of my property. I have some cages to set up and later this week I'll have to get some tree protecting wraps.

I may take another ride around and see if other stores are having a closeout on fruit trees.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Good purchase. Post up some photos. Deer love pears. Make sure the roots are spread out when you plant them. This late in the season they could be root bound. Keiffer Pears are not self pollinating but can use other keiffers so you're all set. Some pears need a different variety nearby to pollinate them.

One thing on pears to keep an eye on is fire blight. It usually will appear in wet damp springs during blossom time. The blight will enter through blossoms and new young tender grow. It bends the new growth like shepherd hooks/candy canes. The leaves turn brown and the limbs start dying back. If it shows you need to cut and burn/dispose of it far away. It can spread to other fruit trees. Left unchecked it can kill trees. I lost a nice tree a few years ago to it. Always clean your pruning saws and shears in between cuts with a 10% bleach 90% water solution to prevent spreading the disease. Keiffers are fireblight resistant but, can get it and spread it to other trees.