Holy smoked venison!!

BDB

Reaction score
Today seemed like a good day to fire up the smoker. I took out 2 chucks of meat. One was a good sized piece of top round (I think) from a skipper doe. She was hit on my street and I snatcher her up quick. Wife called me a redneck but good eats :). The other was an eye of round from last years buck. Both were brined for 10 hours, typical brine, water, salt, brown sugar a little soy sauce, Worcester sauce and some basil. Smoker was lit and I used only mesquite as I was out of apple. The dry rub I tried is located here.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/get-smokin-great-venison-dry-rub

They came out amazing. As expected the doe was much more tender but both tasted fantastic. The buck eye of round was tender but the chunk of the skipper was like frigging butter it was so tender. The dry rub was excellent and the brining IMO is critical for venison slow cooking for hours.

Anyway if you get a chance give it a try, excellent recipe. I substituted brown sugar for regular sugar but otherwise was about the same as the recipe but I cut everything at least by half for a smaller batch.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Sounds delicious! My boss smoked a whole hind quarter last year. It was injected with soy sauce and cooked perfectly. It was the best deer meat I've ever had! Makes me want to go out and purchase a smoker.

MBullism

Reaction score
Oh, I'm all over this, lol... brined for 10, cooked for...? :confused:

oh, and tell me more about this "worcester sauce" ;)

BDB

Reaction score
Oh, I'm all over this, lol... brined for 10, cooked for...? :confused:

oh, and tell me more about this "worcester sauce" ;)
The eye of round was about 3 hours and the round steak was thicker and was 3.5 hours. I was writing it up quick on my iPad I think and didn't notice the slip up on the Worcestershire sauce ;-)

I still have the 2 front shoulders from the skipper frozen whole so I will definitely brine and smoke them one of these days. I couldn't see turning them into a couple of pounds of ground!