Hello from Washington DC. Thinking of moving to VT

StuartHunts

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm a contractor living in DC for now. I hate it, and I want to move on after my contract is up.

Hoping to learn about VT and the area. I hear it is great for hunting AND for tech sector jobs. Anyone have anything to share about it?

LionOfJudah2517

Reaction score
Hello,
Welcome to the forum, I don't know too much about Vermont in either hunting or Tech but I wanted to say welcome to Hunting Chat! I am going to school right now and am pursuing a computer science degree myself! Hope you find what you are looking for!

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm a contractor living in DC for now. I hate it, and I want to move on after my contract is up.

Hoping to learn about VT and the area. I hear it is great for hunting AND for tech sector jobs. Anyone have anything to share about it?
Vermont is great for many things, but I wouldn't call it great for Tech sector at all. Can you be more specific in what type of tech you're interested in?

StuartHunts

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome Lion! Computer Science is definitely the way to go these days! Best of luck in your studies :)

Sneaky_Pete
Interesting you say that . I've read a lot of articles that suggest Vermont is experiencing a tech boom. Check it out here too. I work in IT.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome Lion! Computer Science is definitely the way to go these days! Best of luck in your studies :)

Sneaky_Pete
Interesting you say that . I've read a lot of articles that suggest Vermont is experiencing a tech boom. Check it out here too. I work in IT.
I work in/around IT myself and there are some great companies to work for in your industry here, just not a lot of them. In the long run, we're doing a great job of attracting the alternative energy companies. However, keep in mind, one of the things that makes Vermont great, is that we don't have a lot of big business. It makes for high taxes and only a few high paying IT jobs, but it also means its still a rural state with a lot of open land. However, we have plenty of broadband access now. I work for a NH company, and all my customers are in Ohio, while I sit in my Vermont basement all day.

There will be more jobs, lower taxes, and higher salaries in NH, MA and CT, but those benefits come with a price. Its a compromise.

StuartHunts

Reaction score
I work in/around IT myself and there are some great companies to work for in your industry here, just not a lot of them. In the long run, we're doing a great job of attracting the alternative energy companies. However, keep in mind, one of the things that makes Vermont great, is that we don't have a lot of big business. It makes for high taxes and only a few high paying IT jobs, but it also means its still a rural state with a lot of open land. However, we have plenty of broadband access now. I work for a NH company, and all my customers are in Ohio, while I sit in my Vermont basement all day.

There will be more jobs, lower taxes, and higher salaries in NH, MA and CT, but those benefits come with a price. Its a compromise.
Hm. Would you say that your income is above or below the VT average? Right now I am pulling in around 55k per year which includes overtime. (Somehow I managed to get an hourly job lol)

Do you work for an MSP or something? I should probably look at prices of houses or something in the area to get an idea of how much I should need to make.

Maybe I am not being real with myself though..I have expensive tastes. I want a house with geothermal HVAC and Solar panels. I'm getting a Tesla Model 3. I want a bigass workshop. Hmm.

StuartHunts

Reaction score
What is giving you a Vermont focus?
Well for one it would still be within a reasonable drive to my parents. The growing tech sector. Nature! And good natured people. I think it is beautiful there too.

Here's what I am not sure about though: The cold (maybe? It does concern me a bit.) I have also heard that food is expensive?

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
Well for one it would still be within a reasonable drive to my parents. The growing tech sector. Nature! And good natured people. I think it is beautiful there too.

Here's what I am not sure about though: The cold (maybe? It does concern me a bit.) I have also heard that food is expensive?
Where are your parents at? Yes, December through March are quite cold.

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
If your in the computer science field and you want to be in the northeast. I would suggest being within an hour of Boston or New York city. New York would have the larger more dense deer and probably turkey populations.

VTRidges

Reaction score
Welcome StuartHunts,

I grew up in Vermont and moved to Manassas for a short time. I don't want to talk you out of anything, but you're in for sticker shock if you move to Vermont. Vermont is a expensive place to live when compared to career opportunities. Quality of life issues are great, with a lot of open areas, but you'll probably see more deer driving to work around DC then you will see in a whole season in VT. Personally, I prefer to hunt Vermont to Northern VA, but "it aint easy".

I would suggest that you do a salary calculator between the areas and then look at the salary ranges in the employment adds.

Good luck!

StuartHunts

Reaction score
Welcome StuartHunts,

I grew up in Vermont and moved to Manassas for a short time. I don't want to talk you out of anything, but you're in for sticker shock if you move to Vermont. Vermont is a expensive place to live when compared to career opportunities. Quality of life issues are great, with a lot of open areas, but you'll probably see more deer driving to work around DC then you will see in a whole season in VT. Personally, I prefer to hunt Vermont to Northern VA, but "it aint easy".

I would suggest that you do a salary calculator between the areas and then look at the salary ranges in the employment adds.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, I'll take it to heart. I'll do a calculator comparison for sure.

Upstate is an economic wasteland with high taxes? no thanks lol

chazzkat

Reaction score
I've worked in IT in Vermont for a while now. I haven't had any trouble finding work, but the salaries can leave much to be desired as a lot of the companies out here are small startups. As VTRidges said, the cost of living is pretty high as far as rent/taxes goes. Essentially if you can find a job at a company that will fairly compensate you then you'll be all set. All that aside, Vermont is a wonderful place to live.