Has anyone done the Cross Country family vacation?

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
The ride to Gettysburg from NH is only 8 hours. Drive to Gettysburg, do that for a couple days. Then drive 2 hours to Washington DC, walk the Ellipse, see the White House and Capitol, visit the Lincoln Memorial. From there, head to Skyline Drive and drive south down the Blue Ridge Parkway. You will hit Gettysburg, Washington, and see some of the most incredible places on the East Coast. The ride south on those roads can be slow, so you can take 95 back north and be home in a day. While you are down there, go to Charlottesville, VA and stop at Monticello.
And while you are at it plan your trip to catch a game in Baltimore when the Sox or Yankees are playing . And on the way back , hit the Baseball Hall Of Fame in Cooperstown NY.

So there you have it all planned out for you. HA ! Who needs TripAdvisor when you can get it all here on HuntingChat.Net ;)

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Just go. The kids need to learn to suck it up a little for the benefit of a great reward later on. Definitely hit Cooperstown, it is on the way (kind of). Get to SD and then see what the timeline is. When they get a bit older, do it again.

When I was young we did New England trips and stayed in cheap cabins, just explored the ocean and other things that weren't around northern VT. I remember, distinctly, eating chocolate bars and drinking mountain dew for lunch.

They'll remember a long trip like what you're talking about forever. If they get car sick and bored, they'll remember it fondly in 10 years.

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I agree with everything you guys say.........but here's the reality of the trip. I worried about having enough time to see everything. I want this to be fun and live up to the hype I have it set in my head.

http://mapq.st/1ZVxr4I

Last edited:

Escout711

Reaction score
I agree with everything you guys say.........but here's the reality of the trip. I worried about having enough time to see everything. I want this to be fun and live up to the hype I have it set in my head.

http://mapq.st/1kYwSaE
The reality of most road trips is that while you are on the trip, everyone is miserable and fighting, there is never enough time to see everything, and tempers flare. When you look back on it years later, all the bad stuff gets forgotten.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I know my thoughts should be of getting into a stand right now, but I'm having one of those up before everyone else moments thinking of this trip. Our cabin is reserved for 5 days on Lake Yellowstone, and I'm looking at pictures and utube videos of the park, researching fishing guides. We are stopping at Rushmore, Little Big Horn, the field of dreams movie set, Crazy Horse, hoping to catch a rodeo while in Cody, going to Jackson Hole, Independence Rock. Oct. 5th Marked 9 months before we leave. As the months tick away before we take this journey, I'm getting antsy. To say I'm excited about this is beyond an understatement. This is a huge bucket list trip for me. 3 weeks in a car maybe tough, but I think once we get west of Ohio, and the kids start seeing other things that they will never see in this part of the country, all will be good.

Last edited:

ojibwa

Reaction score
When I was a 10 we drove from San barnadino near where my dad was stationed to Dade city FL close to where he transferred to McDill AFB in Tampa, we took a travel trailer and about a month, have also been from GA to MI several times as an adult .I like driving but I always try and avoid major cities..

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it mapped out pretty well. Just be prepared that you may not get to see everything you wanted to see and do because other things may pop up. I'd watch Chevy Chase vacation series just to get ramped up.

xp600

Reaction score
We did a cruise last year. Had a friggen blast. Kids had a ton of fun. The boat had lots for the kids to do and the day trips were awesome ( we didnt do any excursions either). All 5 of us had such a good time that we're going again next April.

There is no way we could drive cross country, we can barely survive the 5 hour drive to NJ to visit my mother in law. :)

Remi

Reaction score
Not cross country but down the east coast. This past spring wife and I drove our girls (ages 9, 13, and 15) down to Port Canaveral to take them on a cruise to the Bahamas with scheduled stops along the way and more stops on the way home. Was an awesome time. We drove our Acadia and the whole trip surprisingly cost <$500 in gas which was 1/4 the price of flying and we got to show them and see all kinds of things for ourselves. Trust me though... if you've seen the movie "Vacation", the song "Holiday Road" will play in your head over and over and over again!

Remi

Reaction score
When I was a 10 we drove from San barnadino near where my dad was stationed to Dade city FL close to where he transferred to McDill AFB in Tampa, we took a travel trailer and about a month, have also been from GA to MI several times as an adult .I like driving but I always try and avoid major cities..

Good point, when we drove down to FL earlier this year I mapped it out to go around the major cities

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Once I'm west of Illinois I will be in a great mood and take my time. We have 5 days to see the field of dreams, Little Bighorn, Rushmore. Then we will be in the park for 5 days. That leaves 11 days to get home and see whatever we missed on the way out. I'm hoping I can get back in time with a few days that would allow a couple days in Gettysburg as well. The reason for the 3 weeks is to not hurry home and stop for breaks. The first couple of days I'm going to go at it like the snowman and bandit if possible. Hoping to be in Iowa mid afternoon on day 3, then drive to Little Bighorn and spend day 4. Day 5 will be at Rushmore, and sleeping in the cabin that night inside the park. The way home will be much more of a relaxed driving schedule.

BlMitchell

Reaction score
We always practice it in the summer. Indeed, I always wait for our trips. We took a trailer some years ago and we started to camp on weekends. Indeed, for the first time, it was enough for us, but gradually we began to go further and further and travel along with the vastness of our country for a longer period. So, now we had to equip and improve our trailer, according to all the needs that are vital on the road. We ordered new kitchen equipment and even a double washing/drying mashing from https://www.palmgear.com/best-rv-washer-dryer-combo-reviews/. Honestly, it is perfect when you don't need to care, how to dry the cloth and it does all by itself.

Last edited:

Latest posts