Hanging Deer Prior To Caping

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Shot my first buck last Saturday morning, and I didn't really decide I wanted to mount it until late Monday. The deer has been hanging since Saturday afternoon (head down), and won't be caped until Friday morning and likely won't make its way to the taxidermist until Saturday or Sunday. I called Bill at Birch Hill yesterday, and he said what worries him about it hanging that long is the ears, eyes, nose etc. start to dry out. It's hanging in my Dad's garage, where the temperature outside is in the mid 30s during the day, and high 20s to low 30s at night, so the garage should be pretty steady in the low 30s. Do you guys think it will be OK, or will my cape be screwed?

I hadn't really thought about mounting until I got back home after the weekend. Had I known, we could have caped it right of Sunday morning, but it's too late for that...

By the way, he said he is about a year and a half out right now. He quoted me $325.

Escout711

Reaction score
Well, he's the taxidermist, and he would know best. Is there a reason that you can't get it caped sooner? In the worst case scenario, the taxidermist can put a different cape on the mount if yours is ruined. It will cost you an extra $75-$100. Also, in my opinion, I would never wait a year and a half for a taxidermist. I had to wait that long for my first mount, and it sucked. Most places down here are turning them around by August.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
The issue is that I am 3 1/2 hours away, and my Dad doesn't get home from work for the week until Thursday night...

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Ya. I would rather not if at all possible but obviously we shall see...

I am really kicking myself for this, it's all I can think about.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Deer will be fine. Have hung them longer than that. The only thing that I could see possibly drying out, which I highly doubt, is the ears, which can easily be rehydrated. Have mounted a lot of deer heads myself.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I really hope so. It just wouldn't be the same with a different cape I feel like.

I wish I would have just decided right off, but hadn't really thought about it until Monday night. This is only my second deer ever, last was a button buck 12 years ago when I was 14, so it may as well be my first. He's not a monster by any means but a nice healthy 3.5 y.o. 6 pointer, 177 lbs.

IMG_4206.jpg

When I got to thinking on Monday, I still regret not getting my 2012 moose done (got a euro instead), 60-1/2", 1008 lbs. I didn't want to have that happen again... If I do decide to get it down down the road, it would probably be damn hard to find a cape that size. Especially one that is as dark as the moose was. His nose was still all dark brown, hardly any light brown. Just a real healthy bull. If I remember, he was 7.5 y.o.

Yearbook_JacobM.jpg

NorthMaine

Reaction score
That's a darn nice moose! Congrats! Nothing wrong with mounting your first rack buck and that is a nice one!
Thanks! I am definitely excited. Like I said, I really hope the cape is OK...

Love that rifle, beautiful wood stock, lots of tiger striping!
Same here. please tell us about your rifle and scope. Thank you.
Thanks. It's actually custom, my Dad made it. He works in the woods, so he had picked up the butt of a log and had it sawed up into 3" thick slabs. Then he used the original stock to template and cut out the new one. Then he shaped it and carved the inside for the firing mechanism and magazine etc. The rifle is a Winchester Model 670 (cheap Model 70) 30-06, so factory it did not have a floor plate, so we bought a trigger guard and floor plate from a Model 70 and incorporated that into the new stock as well. It's actually the second one he has done, the first one was bird's eye.

Believe it or not, the scope is a $60 Bushnell from Wal-Mart that I have been using on that rifle since I was probably 11. Has never been touched since originally sighting it in.

I thought I had a close up picture of the rifle but I can't find it. I'll have to look some more.

EDIT, found it.

The brass plate has my name engraved on it.

Last edited:

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Here is the finished European mount from the moose, done by Bare Bones in Rockland, Me.

European.JPG

frontierrots

Reaction score
we have a good friend who is a taxidermist and he says the biggest problems he runs into are caused by hanging the deer head down. Blood pools in the neck muscles under the hide and causes a lot of decomposing blood damage to the hide
we have had to buy a cape for a buck due to dragging damage and shot damage and while it is not the same in look (the buck had a lot of white on his face) it does not make the mount any less memorable

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Well, he's the taxidermist, and he would know best. Is there a reason that you can't get it caped sooner? In the worst case scenario, the taxidermist can put a different cape on the mount if yours is ruined. It will cost you an extra $75-$100. Also, in my opinion, I would never wait a year and a half for a taxidermist. I had to wait that long for my first mount, and it sucked. Most places down here are turning them around by August.
Ya, I agree with the turn around time. I think I may go with Dennis Theriault instead. He is right local, and I know of one guy that goes to him for all his stuff and he is one of the fussiest people I know, so I know Dennis must do something right. He is about $200 more but also much quicker. He said around 5 to 8 with most getting back in 4 to 5. I talked to him a little bit ago and told him about it hanging since last Saturday, and he said it shouldn't be a problem at those temperatures, it's only an issue in the warm weather.

Flatlander

Reaction score
The guy that does my taxi work never mentions anything about hang time as long as it's cold enough. If it's to warm the hair will slip. The buck I shot this year hung for a week and now the head is in the freezer. The taxidermist is away on a hunt , when he gets back I'll take it to him and he will skin out the head. I don't trust my self skinning around the eyes, ears, and mouth.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
That's what Dennis said as well. I will be getting the cape either Saturday night, or Sunday, and bringing it to him to do. He will do the eyes, mouth etc.

Since this was such a last minute decision, I found out last night that my dad had already split the brisket to between the front legs, but that shouldn't be a problem sewing back up after tanning. The other issue is that the left leg was broken pretty badly and again Sunday, my Dad skun and cut it off, so I don't believe there will be much leg/armpit cape on that side but hopefully that's something he can work with based on the pose chosen. I was looking for something with a left hand turn any way, so that should help the lack of leg and armpit cape on that side. Plus, of the pictures I have seen of the mounts he has done, they don't seem to have that inner leg showing like a lot of the other stuff I have seen online, they are a bit shorter in the brisket area.

I really like the look of a left hand turn alert sneak.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Dropped him off with Dennis late yesterday afternoon. Went with a left turn semi-sneak.

Last edited: