Guide Killed By Bear

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I would react in this situation, and hope I never have to find out, but man, doubt I'd throw the gun to the guy being mauled and hightail it.

Last edited:

longbow

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I would react in this situation, and hope I never have to find out, but man, doubt I'd throw the gun to the guy being mauled and hightail it.
I would definitely empty the gun into the bear before I hightailed it. Then when you are out of ammo it's every man for himself...:cool:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score

Paul/NH

Reaction score
I know...Jesus...a fellow human is being killed and you throw your gun at him? Step in and give that bear some lead!
Id reserve judgement. The stories detail very little about how this incident went down. The client was also mauled... was this before, during or after the guide was being mauled? Did the guide ask him the throw him the gun, rather than a rattled client taking shots directly at him/the bear as they rolled around? Many ways this could have developed.

My takeaway is that it seems crazy that, particularly on a guided hunt in grizzly country, you don't have enough man power to 1) dress out and pack an elk IN PARALLEL WITH 2) having someone/ones packing enough firepower whose sole job is to stand guard.

My condolences to the man's family. 5 kids... good grief...

Last edited:

longbow

Reaction score
Id reserve judgement. The stories detail very little about how this incident went down. The client was also mauled... was this before, during or after the guide was being mauled? Did the guide ask him the throw him the gun, rather than a rattled client taking shots directly at him/the bear as they rolled around? Many ways this could have developed.

My takeaway is that it seems crazy that, particularly on a guided hunt in grizzly country, you don't have enough man power to 1) dress out and pack an elk IN PARALLEL WITH 2) having someone/ones packing enough firepower whose sole job is to stand guard.

Well said.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score

Well said.
I agree . Well said. And Paul is right. Where the hell was the fire power. The guide at least should of been packing both a rifle and a pistol. Maybe he was carrying a rifle on a sling over his shoulder with no time to react if it was a silent charge not known till the last second. We just dont know . Im sure the gory details will eventually come out.

mowbizz

Reaction score

You’re right...just my defense mechanism kicking in before I thought about it.
Having read the article it sounds like it was a crazy fast scenario...too bad.
I do agree there should have been someone with adequate firepower keeping watch.

tobydog

Reaction score
I had a friend die back in 2007. It made national news. The inaccuracy of the reporting really pissed me off. Who knows how accurate this story is.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I had a friend die back in 2007. It made national news. The inaccuracy of the reporting really pissed me off. Who knows how accurate this story is.
Great point! Most reporting by news outlets don’t know their a$$es from their elbows about anything hunting/firearms related.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
talk about a real life nightmare coming true! The PTSD that guy from florida is going to live with his whole life is going to be terrible. This may come across insensitive but I'm not sure who got the worst of this scenario. The guide that was killed, the guides wife & kids, or the bow hunter that will probably without a doubt live the rest of his life in quilt. Even in the bottom of his heart if he feels he did everything he could, any normal person is going to replay the whole situation and 2nd and 3rd guess every second of it. sad sad sad