Grunting

mowbizz

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud...I have never heard a deer grunt in my little hunting area.
For that matter, never heard one grunt in my life.
Not saying they don’t grunt but is it possible that bucks in a certain geographic area just don’t have enough competition from other bucks to feel the need to grunt?
I have hundreds of videos with sound of bucks at a scrape or passing by a scrape ( for a few years) and never heard a grunt on the vids.
I just wonder if grunting is a factor of a larger buck population in a given range...and also the lack of grunting is a result of a less populated range? Thoughts?

groundtender

Reaction score
I agree with your assumptions. Always felt that way. I have heard a buck, which I subsequently shot, grunting continuously like a pig while about 10 seconds behind a doe he was chasing. That was in an area of Maine that held a pretty good deer population. I have heard and seen bucks in NW Ontario grunting every few seconds as they walked through the woods. This too was an area with alot of bucks. Just my 2cents.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Couple years back I was up near the border above Jackman. Took a quick break and was leaning against a spruce drinking some water. I thought I heard a grunt, then another and then a spike horn materialized 20 yards from me and just grunted every other step until he went out of site. It was awesome.

10 years ago on opening day I snuck into this residential grown up farmland. I hit my buck grunt and heard a grunt back. Thought it was another hunter. Grunted again and I got a deep grunt back. Long story short there were two mature bucks and a doe together grunting and bleating like a couple of kids playing with deer calls in the back seat.
The wildest thing I’ve seen was behind my house while in a tree stand, a yearling was grunting chasing behind mom. Not a fawn cry or doe bleat, but these soft grunts.

JDK

Reaction score
I hear them quite often, especially the 4th week of rifle and during muzzleloader. I tend to think that the does are concentrated then and the bucks are more vocal. But who knows.

JJM6

Reaction score
I'm with MOWBIZ- Hunted southern New Hampshire for 25 years and never witnessed a buck grunting. For that matter no doe bleats either.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Do you have problems hearing other things also? Like your wife when says something? I know I do :)
Of course...I'm deef in one ear and can't hear outa the other! 😁 When sitting, I do wear a pair of high end electronic ear muffs so I hear plenty.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I'm with MOWBIZ- Hunted southern New Hampshire for 25 years and never witnessed a buck grunting. For that matter no doe bleats either.
Glad to hear I'm not alone! Ive been hunting almost 60 years!

Earl

Reaction score
The crew out of Vermont ( father-sons) self filmed , grunt all the time while hunting.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I’ve seen and heard a handful of grunting bucks in VT, I think every one was following a doe. The legal ones didn’t live long enough to catch up to her though. 😉

Most were in areas I wouldn’t consider as having much competition for does.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I've heard two grunting in Vermont. Both were behind a doe. One of them was chasing a doe, and I couldn't believe how loud he was grunting!

I've also shot a few small bucks in VT that came in after I grunted with my tube.

I've yet to hear a buck grunt in Maine, but I honestly haven't seen too many of them in the 4 years I've hunted up there.

mowbizz

Reaction score
The crew out of Vermont ( father-sons) self filmed , grunt all the time while hunting.
The Elmers do grunt when they think they are getting close to a buck...works for them but I have used my grunt call so many years with no “known” results.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
The Elmers do grunt when they think they are getting close to a buck...works for them but I have used my grunt call so many years with no “known” results.
Last year early season I jumped two deer and only saw them streak through the firs. They heard me, but I was convinced they didnt smell me or see me.They didn’t go far and I knew I couldnt quietly sneak up on an alert deer. I keep my grunt tube on my binocular harness so I can use it hands free. I just grunted after every step with my rifle up and did what I could to sound like an agitated buck. When I popped through the firs a small 6 pointer with hardly any brow tines was standing broadside. He stood for awhile trying to make me out, as I scuffed my feet in the ground. I am convinced that without grunting he would have been long gone.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Oh yes they definitely grunt in southern NH . The 6pt I shot last season on Nov 3rd , the 1st weekend of muzzy went trotting by me grunting with his mouth wide open. I got to the spot at 5:30am and he came trotting by at 6:40. There was no Doe with him. I heard him coming for over 100 yards. I think he got a call from Veronica on the other side of the woods that she wanted him to come over . But he didn't make it . :)

I used to have a bunch of vids of bucks grunting and chasing Does where I hunt . Surprisingly , a lot of them were in Oct . Here is one I found from Oct 6th.
You dont see the buck in this vid but you surely hear him. I did get a vid about 5 min after this one where you only see the buck and Doe flying through the screen.
He was one of the big rackers. I had lots of bucks chasing Does grunting in Oct. Most were at night. But a lot of them were during the day and all hours of the day.

Put your volume up. He is still grunting as she walks out of site.

groundtender

Reaction score
Last year early season I jumped two deer and only saw them streak through the firs. They heard me, but I was convinced they didnt smell me or see me.They didn’t go far and I knew I couldnt quietly sneak up on an alert deer. I keep my grunt tube on my binocular harness so I can use it hands free. I just grunted after every step with my rifle up and did what I could to sound like an agitated buck. When I popped through the firs a small 6 pointer with hardly any brow tines was standing broadside. He stood for awhile trying to make me out, as I scuffed my feet in the ground. I am convinced that without grunting he would have been long gone.
I have had similar results. The hands free grunting works great for a couple of reasons. I keep mine upside down in the breast pocket with the muzzle end easily accessible. I hate to say this, encroaching on “chapstick territory”, but if I suck in the grunt muzzle it works fine. Reason for having it upside down: it’s not top heavy and rides better.

arrowslam21

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud...I have never heard a deer grunt in my little hunting area.
For that matter, never heard one grunt in my life.
Not saying they don’t grunt but is it possible that bucks in a certain geographic area just don’t have enough competition from other bucks to feel the need to grunt?
I have hundreds of videos with sound of bucks at a scrape or passing by a scrape ( for a few years) and never heard a grunt on the vids.
I just wonder if grunting is a factor of a larger buck population in a given range...and also the lack of grunting is a result of a less populated range? Thoughts?
I’ve had it occur a number of times in NY, ME & MA. Each time it was a buck following a doe during the rut. Sounds just like a pig snorting. Don’t know if it’s a condition of the deer population as I had it happen where there were a lot of deer and very few. If you hear it get ready!

Gold Rush

Reaction score
I have always wondered the same thing. I have never heard a live grunt in the woods, or any bleats from does for that matter. Always wondered if grunting and bleating calls are really more of a deterrent than attractant. I have heard plenty of snort-blows though from deer that are on to you.

Gold Rush

Reaction score
Oh yes they definitely grunt in southern NH . The 6pt I shot last season on Nov 3rd , the 1st weekend of muzzy went trotting by me grunting with his mouth wide open. I got to the spot at 5:30am and he came trotting by at 6:40. There was no Doe with him. I heard him coming for over 100 yards. I think he got a call from Veronica on the other side of the woods that she wanted him to come over . But he didn't make it . :)

I used to have a bunch of vids of bucks grunting and chasing Does where I hunt . Surprisingly , a lot of them were in Oct . Here is one I found from Oct 6th.
You dont see the buck in this vid but you surely hear him. I did get a vid about 5 min after this one where you only see the buck and Doe flying through the screen.
He was one of the big rackers. I had lots of bucks chasing Does grunting in Oct. Most were at night. But a lot of them were during the day and all hours of the day.

She certainly heard him.........

jacinda

Reaction score

nice video