Growing Oaks From Acorns

exojam

Reaction score
You do some interesting things NH!

Now where did you happen to get the oak nuts from if I may ask? Thanks.

exojam

Reaction score
NH,

Thank you again for all the information ans links to the sites.

I can only imagine what the deer are around your areas. They must think they have hit the buffet!

On a side note my wife had a lot of "fun" when I did the apple trees so I could only imagine what she would say if I had acorn sitting in zip locks in the fridge :smile:

gearandmore

Reaction score
Exo,

Those came from a guy in Missouri but, they do live in northern zones too.

I actually have purchased nice bur oak and swamp white oak seedlings from the Missouri Dept of Conservation (MDC) but, they are sold out for this year. They post online in late October -early November. They just arrived Saturday so I'll be busy this weekend. I think they worked out to $.50 a piece including shipping. They have an oak called the Concordia that is supposed to be a fast grower and producer and has lived in zone 4 Wisconsin. May try them next year.

http://mdc.mo.gov/your-property/seedling-orders-and-planting-guide/state-forest-nursery

If you're looking for acorns then I'd check with Oikos in Michigan
They usually have them available for a couple weeks in November

http://www.oikostreecrops.com/Oaks/c-1-6/

If it were me I'd also try chestnuts. I get them in late October from Pike County Illinois. Chestnuts are easy to germinate and grow. Same as how I showed here. They'd do well in Mass.

http://www.chestnutridgeofpikecounty.com
Do you think your oaks will produce sometime in the 4th season? How about timeframe for chestnuts? Have you done this in the past / have pictures of a 4 year old or older you have planted?

landscaper

Reaction score
I have planted acorns,i sent them to northern maine (houlton). when my mom lived there.they did wonderfull.I sent them in leaf and soil debris right through the mail.i think they were pins and blacks.

frontierrots

Reaction score
I have zero tree growing experience. How do you get the PVC tubes off the planted trees once they are big enough the deer don't eat them? (there are some on trees in the County lot next door that no one will probably ever remove because the guy who planted them in the shrubland restoration project lost his grant)

2browndogs

Reaction score
Nice work NH, those look beautiful!

I lost 60 year old seedlings this winter that I had potted....mice got in and girdled/dug them all up....I'll have to rethink how I overwinter them....prior two years they did not get any.

Any ideas how to prevent this?

Shawn