ground venison chili

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I have a pile of ground venison thawed out, and just won't have time in the next few days to deal much with it. Instead, I'm going to ask the boy to cut the vegies and get it in the crock pot for some chili. Anyone have a good recipe they want to share? Keep in mind, this is an irish house....don't come at me with the hurtin' habanero and burning cornhole recipies...

vtbbhunter

Reaction score
what fun is eating venny chili without the next day feeling the sting ring haha

Mainewoods

Reaction score
IMG_1150.jpg

Sorry the pic rotated and for the terrible penmanship but this is my go to. Tb is tablespoon and Ts is teaspoon. Brown the meat then add onions peppers and garlic til soft, then the rest.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Coincidentally chilli was on the menu tonight at our house. Embarrassed to say, chilli is one of the go to "easy" meals for us. I buy different seasoning packets but always use the canned tomatoes with green chilles, black beans, and a can of corn. I'm interested in giving Nate's recipe a whirl sometime though.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
We typically add chick peas and carrots to ours. Not sure how I got talked into carrots but they are good. Got to try the can of beer and coffee.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
It's a recipe I've put together over many years and the coffee grounds part came from a Texas style. Best thing about chili is not having to always stick to the script and seeing where it goes.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
It's a recipe I've put together over many years and the coffee grounds part came from a Texas style. Best thing about chili is not having to always stick to the script and seeing where it goes.
When I read the recipe I thought coffee liquid, but you mean a Tbs of coffee grounds?

PS- Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Mainewoods

Reaction score
When I read the recipe I thought coffee liquid, but you mean a Tbs of coffee grounds?

PS- Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Yep, it's coffee grounds and a tbs is for a big batch to feed a lot of folks. You could go with liquid but I'd up it to a 1/4 cup or so. If you do add the tomato sauce, make sure you drain the diced tomatoes before dumping them in.
The longer this cooks on low the better and always taste best the next day or after.

This recipe is not that hot but I'll add some cayenne to give it a boast. By accident one time I did 5 tbs of cayenne pepper by mistake instead of chili powder. Holy arsehole!

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
This is the recipe we use. Came in part from family in Texas, Georgia and Wyoming and then adding stuff we use. As Mainewoods said, the beauty of chili is that it is often hard to go wrong.

• 2 pounds ground venison
  • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
  • 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon bacon bits
  • 4 cubes beef bouillon
  • 1/2 cup beer

• 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco?)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar

Brown the meat and then throw everything in the pot and simmer for a few hours.

Last edited: