Great season Longbow!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you! My family and I are very fortunate and blessed to live in an area, and at a time, with so many deer and such liberal seasons. I am far from the most efficient and deadly hunter, however I do have a great passion for the sport. Ask my wife, unless the conversation is about deer, I really don't care or want to hear about it. lol

Well...you know my name is longbow.;) But... it is gun season now here and oddly enough also bow season. So you can pretty much use what ever you want. Right now I am hunting probably 50 +or - does and fawns, (flatheads), that are hiding and living in close proximity to houses. The houses are on 8 acre or so lots, mine is one of them. The first doe that I shot was in a herd of 30 flatheads. I passed up a real nice 18", 8 point and shot her. Saving the buck for my son or me, for next year.;)

So, with the hunting close to houses, I want to be quiet, but deadly and accurate. The crossbow is the perfect tool for this. I can pretty much hit a quarter every time at 40 yards with my bolts. Maybe a golf ball or a little bigger at 60. Don't think that is anything special. That's just how accurate they are.

This is the first year I ever shot a crossbow. I bought two around Christmas time. They are really a blast to shoot and amazingly accurate. First I bought my son a Killer Instinct 350, on sale from Amazon for 299 with 3 bolts, scope and quiver. (350fps bow). I can't say enough good things about it. Company is in Michigan with a life time warranty.

Then.. I saw an Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 400 for sale used.(400 fps), 1200 dollar bow, I got the guy down to 550, was asking 800. So that's why I got the second so quick, couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Sitting in a ladder Treestand over bait/corn . I think it could be very effective during the rut also, still hunting and sitting on the ground. Especially when they are chasing and you can move in on them.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you stand hunting or still hunting? Since you are in an urban setting maybe you are using a climber to get some elevation in order to be shooting at a downward angle. I have to think trying to stalk with a crossbow would be a little awkward.
Sitting in a ladder Treestand over bait/corn . I think still hunting could be very effective during the rut also. Especially when they are chasing and you can move in on them

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Going to take this evening off and go in the morning. They have been coming in every day about 9 am. My neighbor is letting me hunt his property because I told him I will butcher it for him. That's where I got the last doe. Now, he said his brother wants one! lol I will do it because I want to hunt in there this November and he is a good guy and can use the meat. I'm nice, am I not? ;) Big buck highway thru there!

Last edited:

TheLostBeaver

Reaction score
Great season longbow, you must have plenty of venison. How late into winter do you guys see rut activity down there?