Good year for bear?

mowbizz

Reaction score
My brother killed a doe last week in Grafton and he took it to a butcher in Bristol...when he got there and started to talk about what he wanted, the butcher said “I hope you’re not in a hurry for this deer!” My brother said no, not really, why? The guy then walked over to the cooler and opened it and said “that’s why”! The cooler was so full of bear, you couldn’t get another one in. Must be a banner bear season!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
489 as of last Friday. Have to remember , not many people are cutting these days. Even fewer have a cooler. I hope they do a better job on your bothers deer than they did on mine last year. He had some hacks in there late season. I've been going there for years. I won't be back. Make sure your brother checks all his packages if he paid extra for the vacuum seal. I found 6 packages of meat last year that didn't seal correctly or at all.

nhbowhunter

Reaction score
489 as of last Friday. Have to remember , not many people are cutting these days. Even fewer have a cooler. I hope they do a better job on your bothers deer than they did on mine last year. He had some hacks in there late season. I've been going there for years. I won't be back. Make sure your brother checks all his packages if he paid extra for the vacuum seal. I found 6 packages of meat last year that didn't seal correctly or at all.
I went there once, will never go back.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I had my deer from 2018 done with no problems. Even that year he was having trouble getting cutters and there was a big delay. Seems to always have a backup and an excuse for not processing in a timely fashion.
What other processors are in the area? PM me your list 😂

Fish4life

Reaction score
Had my bear done there last week. It was there for 10 days they did a great job and yes they were packed with bears.

Fish4life

Reaction score
Thanks Longbow. I do have a pic but I can’t seem to upload it. Tells me the file is to large, any suggestions?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Longbow. I do have a pic but I can’t seem to upload it. Tells me the file is to large, any suggestions?
You have to resize the photos. Are you trying to do it from your phone or computer? On your computer you have to go into your saved photos, edit and resize them.

Big D

Reaction score
Definitely a good season in Maine too. Half way through this season and they already surpassed last years numbers for the whole season.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I checked my cameras yesterday. It was the first time ever that I have more video's of bear than deer. Perhaps it'll be the year that I punch my bear tag.

mowbizz

Reaction score
With as fat as the bears have been this year I'd expect them to be denning pretty early if not already depending on how far north.
Is that what urges them to den...fat stores? I thought it was the cold and shortness of daylight. Acorns were dropping like rain on my way to my stand yesterday...I doubt they'd leave any "banquet" on the ground in such a lean berry year.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
I've read a fair amount from, and gone to watch the former bear biologist from Maine speak. Hyperphasia is the biological phase bears go into that drives them to eat and fatten up to get ready to den. Last year hyperphasia happened after bait hunting season and many bears were out through November. This year hyperphasia seemed to have lined up with the baiting season. It was also dry limiting competition with natural food in the woods during the baiting season.

One of the things I had read said that back in 1995(ish) there was a similar year to this and over 50% of his collared bears in his study had gone to den by September 20th. This was for bears in northern Maine though. Central and Southern Maine and NH can be on a slightly different schedule.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I had a big bear on cam last week...still cruising.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I've read a fair amount from, and gone to watch the former bear biologist from Maine speak. Hyperphasia is the biological phase bears go into that drives them to eat and fatten up to get ready to den. Last year hyperphasia happened after bait hunting season and many bears were out through November. This year hyperphasia seemed to have lined up with the baiting season. It was also dry limiting competition with natural food in the woods during the baiting season.

One of the things I had read said that back in 1995(ish) there was a similar year to this and over 50% of his collared bears in his study had gone to den by September 20th. This was for bears in northern Maine though. Central and Southern Maine and NH can be on a slightly different schedule.
I read a study that said the same thing, but with 1 difference - it said in areas with high bear populations, meaning they have to share the food resources more than normal, many will continue to roam until the food is gone, regardless of the time of year. In a lucky coincidence, that same year I tracked a buck to an area that was loaded with beech nuts on the last day of muzzleloader season here. (Around 12/15) There was about 8" of snow on the ground and the bear tracks were everywhere in that little 5 acre patch of beeches. Keep in mind, this was in southern vermont, so a very different latitude, but it was on a ridgeline that is almost exclusively 2300ft+ in elevation.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
I read a study that said the same thing, but with 1 difference - it said in areas with high bear populations, meaning they have to share the food resources more than normal, many will continue to roam until the food is gone, regardless of the time of year. In a lucky coincidence, that same year I tracked a buck to an area that was loaded with beech nuts on the last day of muzzleloader season here. (Around 12/15) There was about 8" of snow on the ground and the bear tracks were everywhere in that little 5 acre patch of beeches. Keep in mind, this was in southern vermont, so a very different latitude, but it was on a ridgeline that is almost exclusively 2300ft+ in elevation.

We had a bear on a game camera on Christmas day in northern zone 15 in Maine last year.

Shooterbuck and I just got back from a hound hunt in northern Maine and baits were slowing down in a hurry. Lots seem to have gone to den already. The bears that were coming to baits were not eating. Lots of walk bys. We still had some success. We're working on putting together a post.

Latest posts