Good News, Bad News

medrhunter

Reaction score
Due to work I had very limited time to bow hunt this year
I got out last weekend for the first time, saw some fantastic sign and setup a stand.
That night I had a monster come out 80 yards away.
Biggest deer I have ever seen in the field.
I called, rattled, sprayed.
The closest I could pull him was 60 yards.
Can't compete with the does in the field.

I had a short day on Wednesday and planned to head up around 2 to sit the afternoon
At 12:30 one of the guys in the same club calls me and asks if I was home.
He wanted to stop by. This was not unusual so I thought nothing of it

30 minutes later he shows up with MY monster in his truck!
I was bummed!

Bow-2016-Jim.jpg

Attachments

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Wow that is a beauty. I have been seeing lots of movement lately and of course lots of dead deer on the side of the roads. Boy hasn't it been a beautiful fall down here? I am just pulling my boat next Wed. And then I head north to Maine Sunday. Good luck this season.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Nice one, what do you mean by club?
Is this a private hunting club spot?
Sorry I'm a bit late in responding this. just missed your question
Yes We have 24 guys that lease a 400 acre farm.
We've had the same property for over 40 years

Escout711

Reaction score
Any "rules" / "agreements" / "before hunt meetings" /with the "24 guys"???
For such a small group of guys, I can't believe you have a loser with such little respect for another club member that he would keep the deer you killed a couple weeks ago. Seems like a basic lack of respect, dignity, and sportsmanship.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Any "rules" / "agreements" / "before hunt meetings" /with the "24 guys"???
Its a formal club with regular business meetings (with only minimal attendance) but people live at varying distances.
We also have a set of bylaws but we try to keep things as open as possible and rely on common sense and sportsmanship.
For the most part that has worked, but once in a while you get a putz

medrhunter

Reaction score
For such a small group of guys, I can't believe you have a loser with such little respect for another club member that he would keep the deer you killed a couple weeks ago. Seems like a basic lack of respect, dignity, and sportsmanship.
Yep especially since this guy has been in the club as long as I have and he's a past president.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
medrhunter didn't kill it, the guy in the picture did. They just hunt the same property. Right?

Remi

Reaction score
Think there's two different stories, this one and one where medrhunter shot a deer and someone else recovered it... I think, if I followed it correctly

Escout711

Reaction score
medrhunter didn't kill it, the guy in the picture did. They just hunt the same property. Right?
Think there's two different stories, this one and one where medrhunter shot a deer and someone else recovered it... I think, if I followed it correctly
Yes, 2 different stories, but connected. Medrhunter killed the buck on the property, and another guy from the club found it and refuses to turn it over to him.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Yes, 2 different stories, but connected. Medrhunter killed the buck on the property, and another guy from the club found it and refuses to turn it over to him.
Its a non issue at this point.
I hit a deer I did not recover.
A club member found a deer a few days later with a similar rack 100 yards from where I lost the trail.
No one else on our property shot so I'm 95% certain its the one I hit.
But we are surrounded by other hunting properties so its remotely possible its a different deer that came in wounded off one of those properties.
I'll ask him again next time I see him in person.
Not much else I can do.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
No one else on our property shot so I'm 95% certain its the one I hit.
But we are surrounded by other hunting properties so its remotely possible its a different deer that came in wounded off one of those properties.
I do agree that the guy who found it should give you the rack.

Going to go off subject now since you made this statement about other hunting properties around yours.

Is leasing land for hunting the norm in NJ ? I know there are traces of this going on in Maine, NH and VT. I dont like seeing it happen , but its there.

medrhunter

Reaction score
I do agree that the guy who found it should give you the rack.
Going to go off subject now since you made this statement about other hunting properties around yours.
Is leasing land for hunting the norm in NJ ? I know there are traces of this going on in Maine, NH and VT. I dont like seeing it happen , but its there.
Its a double edged sword.
NJ has plenty of State Game land available to hunt if you hunt off peak days/hours.
Weekends / opening days can be crowded depending upon where you go.
Leasing affords you the opportunity to be away from the crowds.
When I mention other properties around ours, there are a mix of privately owned posted lands (This is the norm), other clubs and State Game lands.
I've been in this club for a very long time and its allowed me opportunities I would not have had otherwise.
Deer are plentiful in my area of the state.
Longbow hunts the same area as well.
I can't remember a year where I didn't have an opportunity to take at least 1 deer.
This allows me to enjoy my Maine hunt, stay away from crowds and hold off for the big one.
I don't care if I come home empty.