Good Luck to All The Youth Hunters

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Wow, had no idea they were all at the same time. Ours is not until the end of November.
VT and NH used to be staggered by a couple weeks, but VT moved theirs up this years. Kind of reduces opportunity for us, we used to hit both. A little disappointed in that regard.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
We hit it hard this morning and are ready to get back out there. Daughter took a huge interest this year. Been making mock scrapes, checking cameras and she even picked her own spot and decided on where to put her blind. It’s been fun. She has 6 different bucks coming into her scrapes all daytime, except a 10 pointer.

Attachments

802-603hunter

Reaction score
That’s looking promising KC, good luck. We were skunked for sightings this morning, but headed back out now. Weather looks like it’s cooling off for a few days, hopefully that gets them moving tonight.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
That’s looking promising KC, good luck. We were skunked for sightings this morning, but headed back out now. Weather looks like it’s cooling off for a few days, hopefully that gets them moving tonight.
Thanks, back in the blind now. Little warm and breezy but we are having fun. Haven’t seen shit yet. Coming week can’t hunt here, but following we will be out after she gets home from school in the afternoons.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
We had a nice buck cut our wind just before she could pull the trigger on a soft push today. Looked to be about a 16” wide six, but might have had brows too, not sure. He came from the thick stuff to the edge of the snowmobile trail and about a half step into it at 20 yards. One whiff and he was gone. The wind had been in our favor most of the time but switched up a couple times, including the most inopportune time. She was a half a second away from pulling the trigger, fully composed. I thought the deer was dead to rights. We decided it was still a pretty good day.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
We had a nice buck cut our wind just before she could pull the trigger on a soft push today. Looked to be about a 16” wide six, but might have had brows too, not sure. He came from the thick stuff to the edge of the snowmobile trail and about a half step into it at 20 yards. One whiff and he was gone. The wind had been in our favor most of the time but switched up a couple times, including the most inopportune time. She was a half a second away from pulling the trigger, fully composed. I thought the deer was dead to rights. We decided it was still a pretty good day.
That’s exciting, she must have been fired up.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
We had a similar scenario. A 6 pointer and a doe came in behind us this morning. By the time I got my son turned around and set up, the buck was out of range for his shooting capabilities. The doe was still close though. He had the hammer back, ready to go. She needed to take one more step and he would have had a nice clear shot. Instead, she stuck her nose in the air, and took off. He honestly took it like a champ. He was just excited to see them.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
That’s exciting, she must have been fired up.
She was excited but held it together very well. I saw a bit of antler through the brush before she did but didn’t say anything. I knew when she saw it because she whispered “oh my god!”. She stayed calm until it bolted but then got the adrenaline shakes for a minute. I doubt she forgets it anytime soon.

mowbizz

Reaction score
My brother and his son took his 2 grandkids out (a 10 year old boy and an 18 yr old girl) and though the sign and anticipation was high, they did not see deer. The Granddaughter did see a bear from her stand but could not get a shot.

JDK

Reaction score
Great job to everyone.

You'll, far to soon, realize how much you miss youth days and how special they are.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
No score for us this year. We had a couple chances, but things just didn't work out.

We had a doe and a fawn come by my youngest, who was sitting with my father, but no good shot for a 10yr old. Then pair then came by my location, but we only had a shot at the yearling and my daughter very confidently told me that she wanted no part of that. Morally she was 100% against breaking that up. I was pretty proud of that moment. Not because I'm for or against it, just because she was able to make that moral decision in the 20 second window that we had the deer in our sights.

Sunday morning we went back to camp to warm up and refill the packs with snacks. We walked out of camp and I looked up to see a deer standing at the far end of the field, watching us. To far for the kids to make that shot, and with the doe alert and the wind swirling, we had to chance. She took a couple bounds up into the woods and stood in the hemlocks of posted property as we snuck in another direction, hoping she'd come back out at sunset....she never did.

Emma and I found a spot where a buck had been traveling back and forth. Its a little hollow and the wind swirls in there constantly, which is why I think the bucks like to bed in there. You need the perfect wind, which we didn't have. But we took the chance, with youth weekend being only 2 days. She really wanted to shoot a buck, so it was the obvious choice. I knew where his bed was and where he'd be coming from, so we made a quick blind from some branches and set up. Sunset on my my phone said 5:53, and at 6:14 I heard the leaves crunching. She got the gun up and was ready. at 6:17 the sound of crunching leaves made me think the deer was going to join us in the blind - he was SO close, but I couldn't see him. It was really dark down in that hole, we had only minutes to go, and the wind was swirling. I had my 8x40 binocs scanning all around in front of us, and I just couldn't see the deer. Emma was looking through the scope, and finally she whispers, "Dad, I see it, but only its back half, I don't have a good shot". I told her to stay on it, and it would take a step out. Time was standing still in that moment...it was killing me. 6:24 and the deer starts to move - but its too late for us to shoot. We ended up sitting there until almost 7pm, listening to the buck walk around doing buck things. I didn't want to spook it leaving the stand, but eventually he winded us and ran. You could say we didn't score on youth weekend, but seeing your kids get the shakes from excitement is a win for me.

Latest posts